2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

New tyres, non matching spare advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 16:16    Post subject: New tyres, non matching spare advice Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had new tyres fitted today, and only then realised the spare was brand new. I could probably have got a few more miles out of the set, but have now had four new tyres on the wheels.

Due to apparent lack of matching size tyres on the market, instead of 225/80, I got 235/75’s.

As the spare is literally unused I planned to keep it as a spare.

However, there is obviously the issue of slight size difference.

If fitted to the front only, in the event of a flat (and if a rear puncture, swapping front to rear first) is this an okay option?

Given that most cars have tiny space saver wheels I would have thought for a short term use until fixed this should be okay.

Or am I not thinking of something?

(I would not fit the different size to the rear to avoid winding up the rear diff. I rarely drive in four wheel drive, and would not with the spare fitted)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 16:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Either Front or Rear axle, small difference in tyre size/diameter will not affect performance, regards "Wind-Up"

IF, you have to use 4WD, simply use it for emergency use only, then De-select 4WD.
You did not say if you have LSD or not - I am assuming you have Non LSD axles.

HTH

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Deker says, the difference in rolling radius for those sizes would be very small, no effect on your differential, and wouldn't even bring on your ABS light. (There's probably less difference than between two identical tyres with 10,000 miles difference in wear or 3PSI pressure!)
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I subsequently found a tyre size comparison tool online and there is less than 1% in most dimensions, (except width at 4%) between the two sizes. Other than tread difference that's pretty close.

I have now read of cars such as Subaru's being much more susceptible to such issues, but they are permanent AWD. I would feel pretty silly to burn out a diff. through sheer ignorance!

My van is stock 2006 Super Exceed Active Field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: