4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Bonnet Release Catch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 19:38    Post subject: Bonnet Release Catch Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of the catch and precise position of the larger spring? This means looking at the catch assembly from the engine side.

I have removed my complete catch assembly for a thorough cleaning. I undid the three small bolts holding the catch to the bodywork, but had to remove the larger spring to see how I could slip the cable out. It was so clogged up with greasy mess that I couldn't see how to get the cable free.

I simply assumed that where the springs sat was obvious....more fool me, I didn't take a picture. The smaller spring remained in place.

Checking the mechanism before re-fixing it doesn't quite feel right and, silly though it may sound, I cannot make sense of exactly where the large spring attaches to the release lever.....very close to the cable nipple slot. The other end of the large spring is more obvious.

Many thanks if anyone can help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 19:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyG.

I can't help you with that - But word of caution - - -

Until you work out what goes where, I suggest you remove the pin on the bonnet.

Or attach a piece of strong wire to the unlocking lever on the Slam panel.
With the wire poking out thro the grill.

This is to prevent the bonnet locking down, and not having any means to unlock it.

Good luck.

Deker
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one.

JimmyG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost there, Yoza.....
What I am seeing in this picture is the end of the spring which I am okay with.
It is the other end of the spring, just of out your picture to the right which I am not sure about.

Any chance of showing me a bit more?

Many thanks.
JimmyG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha....bingo!
Obvious now.....and I should have looked more carefully before I removed it.

Either the catch, or the cable, or both were getting increasingly hard to shift. The bonnet stuck shut would be something I could do without.
I had thought along the same lines as Deker suggests, and will see if I can insert a fail-safe pull cord for the catch. The spring-lock mechanism is seriously strong.

I've run my 1995 Super Exceed for 13 years, averaging around 9,000 miles a year, and quite a lot of bits are giving out.....have invested in substantial chassis welding to keep it on the road.

Good luck and happy motoring to everyone.
sir naggedalot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusted and lubed up my bonnet catch recently but deleleted the pin pronto as like YOZA'S, They were filthy.. 😬
As said before, deffo actuate the lock a few times with a screwdriver or something and test the release before you go for the main event.
If the lever is ever stiff on a bonnet pull, get somone to apply pressure on the front of the bonnet with their hands near the catch, keep them pushing up and down while you pull the lever....
Works more often than not 👍
KimIFA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 16:54    Post subject: My Bonner Cable has snapped - how can I open the bonnet? Reply with quote

Hi, can anbody help me to open my bonnet... I think the cable has snapped as the lever under the steering wheel has suddenly gone loose and isn't opening the bonnet... I need to open it to see whats wrong and fix it..
JimmyG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, which in my case isn't perfect, the front grill can be removed without too much difficulty. There are some large headed screws/studs along the top (may need to replace with suitable christmas-tree fixings) and studs which click in at the ends where they fix by the sidelights.....pull away gently so as not to damage. This should give access to the three small bolts which secure the bonnet catch. I may be over-simplifying, because I didn't have to do this for my fix (altough I have had the grill off in the past). Once removed it should become clear where the cable is broken.

When I had my bonnet catch off.....a thorough clean and light lubrication did the trick (too much grease had resulted in a build-up of grot).....it occurred to me that an accurately positioned hole drilled through the catch casing (maybe 15mm) would give easy access for a screwdriver to operate the release catch which is out of view. There were some other Posts with suggestions.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: