2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Rear Fog Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 18:39    Post subject: Rear Fog Light Reply with quote

I have to fit the required Rear Fog Light to a new import L400, and am looking for information about the wiring.
I much prefer one that is fixed on the rear plastic bumper, flush or almost flush, and not the silly thing which hangs below and regularly gets knocked off.
It seems that putting a light in the rear cluster is too close to the brake lights.
I remember reading a thread some time back about this, and also including additional reversing lights.

I don't yet have a switch on the dash, and know that it has to be wired in to only work when the headlights are on.
Can anyone point me to a good wiring diagram for doing this?

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 18:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to fit recessed fog light(s), I would suggest you use circular ones like these: https://bearmach.com/product/fog-lamps-ellilifl/rear-fog-lamp-amr6522?glCountry=UK&glCurrency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQivbFgPNH8dw7Ca4RtPiMl2mNn--DKrVupxhv3xYo-Ku-DfSW0Lx4MAaAkKtEALw_wcB   as it is easier to make circular holes with an appropriate hole saw. Not sure how much depth there is behind the plastic before you hit metal.
For the wiring, you just need to take the live feed from the headlight switched live to your foglight switch, then from the other side of the switch, to the fog light(s). Then run an earth from the lights to the nearest convenient earth point at the rear - possibly where the rear clusters earth. NB. the fog light switch MUST have, or link to a simultaneous tell-tale light on the dash. You cannot simply take a live off the rear lights, as these can come on with just side-lights on the front, and anyway, you would have to run the switch wire to the front.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyB
You are probably thinking of the post I did a few years back.

See:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14540

If that is what you wish to do let me know and I will put up a simple photo, from which you will be able to do the wiring, using a dash mounted switch.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
JimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gents....your knowledge and experience is much appreciated.

It is the dash wiring which is a puzzle for someone of my limited skills. Starting with no rear fog light fitted, so no switch yet, where do I get into the headlight circuit? Do I go into the steering column shroud and investigate the connector plug to the lighting stalk? How would I find the relvant wire? Or have I got to identify the appropriate relay and look for a suitable place to piggyback onto the positive feed?

I've only just realised that my old L400 (which happens to be a Super Exceed) has its illuminated rocker switch craftily wired into the next-door switch which adjusts the brightness of the dash display (I guess that the original importer did this). Yes, it can be operated as soon as the sidelights are on.....which is incorrect.....but this has never been picked up at Mot over the 13 years I've had it (a bit lucky I suppose). I haven't yet seen inside my latest purchase, but from an indistinct picture with a light stalk obscuring the view I think this one (which is a basic spec only) may not have the dimmer switch.

For the wire to the light, is there a clever route front-to-back without having to free off too many bits of carpet?

Any further words of advice or instruction?
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog lights can come on with only the sidelights on.
Mine does this and so does my Dacia Duster.
That’s why your previous vehicle passed it’s MOT.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected! Thanks Ian. That makes life a lot easier. You just need to find the live wire from your sidelight switch to the sidelights, tee into it, take the wire via your new illuminating dash switch and out through a grommet to the underside. Tie it somewhere safely and discreetly all the way along the underside, where it isn't going to get snagged or fouled, to the rear foglight position, then from foglight to body earth. Hopefully, an L400 owner of your vintage can tell you where and what colour wire you are looking for.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durn it, I missed getting back on this issue.

Personally I think my method of wiring is the easiest; Which is as follows.

This is based on the fact that most L400 Deli's have a blank panel switch to the left of the steering wheel, in which an illuminated three pole switch can be fitted.
Note that this method does not use a relay, extra fuse, or require linking in to the side or headlights. The ignition does not need to be on, but the sidelights do.  Very Happy

1. Use an LED bulb in the rear foglight.
2. Earth it to the nearest available place. Then make that waterresistant as much as possible.
3. Remove the drivers side doorwell and lift up the edge of the carpet. Note that next to the footpedals there is a bolt and plastic nut holding the carpet down.
3. Working from the front, run a power cable under the carpet to the back end.

4. Unfasten the tool starage panel and remove the contents. inside there you will find a drain grommet, through the floor.
5. Feed the cable up under the side panel just before the tool storage area and feed the cable round the back of the frame and down through the grommet, then attach it to the foglight.
6. It helps make things easier, though isn't essential, if you remove the top cover over the steering column.

7. Push out the centre (Wiper De-icer) switch and right sided blank.
8. Feed the power cable up from the floor, either by putting it under the side panel or from the front, then feed it over the top of the steering column and through the right sided (Blank) opening.
9. On the back of the De-icer switch you will find a green (Power) and Black (earth) cable.

10. Wire them accordingly to the power and earth pins on the foglight switch.
11. Connect the power cable going to the foglight to the centre pin on the foglight switch.
12. Check it is working, then put everything back where you took them from.

NB: In the image below the cables were temporarily taped up, as I had run out of solder to connect the cables together properly. Ignore the two white cables at the bottom of the switch opening, as it is just a coil of the longer power one that popped up, when the photo was taken. And Yes I did use white, instead or red, for my power cable, as I had loads of white and no red in stock. Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was VERY wrong! Embarassed I have just checked the MoT regs, and they state that front and rear fog lights can work independently of any other (outside) lights on the vehicle. You can pick up your live from anywhere!
JimmyG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for contributions to this topic.

I had the impression (mistaken) that regulations were tightened up to prevent leaving rear fogs on when not necessary (which does happen and can be distracting to following vehicles). I am a worrier and was over-thinking the job.....tried to search Mot requirements on DVLA website but obviously didn't look far enough.

Piggybacking on a conveniently placed switch, as done on my old vehicle, is the obvious solution. A wiring diagram in the Pocket Mechanic publication by Peter Russek shows the rear fog coming off the dim-dip lamp relay (which is above my pay grade).

The L400 operates all the main light functions off a single stalk. I haven't opened the cover on the steering column for a while, but I think there is multi-pin connector with quite a bundle of wires. The layout of switches and blanks along the dash may vary according to model options. I'm inclined to make use of that odd little slot for coins to the right of the steering column (if you have it). I've found an illuminated three pole switch which is the right size to fit, and will use an LED light unit.  

By the way, Lewis, how can I get access to view your pictures (am only seeing little blank boxes)?

I'll get to look next week at my latest purchase, and prepare for Mot, then the First Registration. This may not be my only post with questions!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be something affecting it on your computer, as the images are showing okay, having checked the post on another laptop and an iPad.  Sad

If your using firefox as a browser, then turn off, individually, any add-ons, like tracking protection, then recheck the page and press f5 to refresh your computers cache. Some add-ons can affect various things from working.

ルイス
JimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more addition to this Post -
(and message for Lewis about Pictures)

Lightbaruk offer Low Profile (surface mounted) LED Rear Fog, very slim, 89mm x 30mm x 8mm (yes that slim)
Only requires small hole (3.5mm) for the wires, supplied with screws and/or adhesive pads.
SKU: 11FCM
https://www.lightbaruk.co.uk/product/led-autolamps-11-series-low-profile-fog-lamp/

they also do a similar unit for reversing lights
SKU: 11WM
https://www.lightbaruk.co.uk/product/led-autolamps-11-series-low-profile-rear-reverse-lamp/

Not particularly cheap, but very prompt delivery (48 hrs).

A great improvement on those old regular bulb units hanging below the bumper (until they get damaged or fill with water), and no need to cut chunks out of the bumper.
I don't see how to put a rear fog inside the tail lamp units and meet the ruling for minimum separation from brake lights (100mm I think)......possible on some models perhaps.

btw Lewis
My Laptop refuses to show me your pictures on Firefox or Microsoft Edge, and the Sign In box for MDOCUK always says-
"This connection is not secure" with the padlock sign and a red line through it. Are you aware of this?
I'm rubbish with computers, and would probably screw things up if I started changing the security settings.
Shame, because I would like to see your pictures!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried those stick on lamps once, they have a bad habit off falling off and hanging by the cable, whilst you go over bumpy off road routes.

NB: Some have done the Foglight in the light clusters mod. However they are illegal, both down to the 100mm spacing issue you mention, but also the maximum height about ground level measurement.

Any website address that does not start of with http:// is now classed as insecure. That is down to the padlock scheme brought in for online sales.

Not being able to see images is down to an individual persons own PC/Laptop settings.

One thing You will find with Firefox, which is my preferred browser, is that addons can affect what is viewable. The addons, like Firefox is open source, so unlike a big company like Apple and Microsoft employing programmers, anybody can write an App for use on it. I find that the Cryptomining and Trace Apps stopped me viewing facebook, until they were turned off.

There is nothing I can do about your Browser settings, but suggest you try turning individual apps off, then try again, until you work out which are causing issues. NB: App updates start the process again, unless the App writer has corrected the problem.

There is also the additional issue, in your cumputer settings of ensuring the Firewall is allowing the Third Party image hosting website through.

What you could also try, as a test, is press the Quote button on a post with an image you want to view, then copy the link, between the [img] and [/img] BB Codes and paste that into your browser search bar. If that brings up the image it confirms your Browser settings are iffy.

NB: This  link should do the same:-  http://u.cubeupload.com/Lewis/Nuts.jpg

HTH

Errr.. Just as an afterthought  I just looked at your post settings - at the bottom of posts you write - you need to untick the two top ones:x

Disable BBCode in this post

Disable Smilies in this post

Wink

ルイス
JimmyG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lights I have just obtained (and recommended) were described to me by Lightbar as a new version, and are screw on (so two more tiny holes required) as well as having the adhesive pads. They are impressively bright, clear lenses with the red colour coming when switched on of course (ECE Compliant, 100% waterproof, 5 year Warranty). I regret not getting the reversing lights at the same time and thinking about positioning on the bumper with more care. It would be quite a novelty to be able to see better when reversing in the pitch dark.

Thank you Lewis for technical advice about laptop settings etc......I'll give it try when I'm feeling adventurous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: