Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Digital Climate Controls Not Doing What They Should

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:44    Post subject: Digital Climate Controls Not Doing What They Should Reply with quote

Hi,

I was sure I posted something about this a few months ago, but there is nothing under my posts, so maybe that is why there were no responses!

I have a digital climate controller, however the vents do not direct the air in the direction indicated on the climate control unit and I can't seem to get a decent blast of air with any of the settings which is a pain in the cold with a steamed up windscreen. Everything appears to work okay, the temperature goes up and down and the auto mode appears to be working; I can turn the AC on and off (the compressor doesn't have a belt on it as its ceased), the fan speed changes up and down and I can control what's happening in the rear.

I replaced the matrix before the summer, and checked all the servo's to make sure that they all worked properly; I had to repair one but apart from that they all were fine; I took the fan out and cleaned it, again it was fine,

It's not possible to connect the wrong plugs to the servo's (I think) because of the length of the cables and their relative positions.

When I had the ventilation control box out of the van recently, I checked that the flaps all opened and closed correctly and they did.

When pressing the different buttons on the digital control unit all the servos/flaps operate, freely. The flaps do not move any further by hand if I remove the linkages between them and the servos and the same is for the servos themselves.

*In the Windscreen Only mode, the flap to the feet is half open, nothing blows on the screen and there is a gentle flow through the side and centre dashboard vents.
    *In the Feet Only mode, there is a big blast of air to the feet, nothing out of the centre dash vents, a slight blow from the side dash vents and nothing from the windscreen vent.
    *In the Hands & Face mode, there is nothing to the feet, the windscreen is a good blast, the centre dashboard vent has nothing and the side vents have a gentle blow.

So I am struggling to understand what is causing the problem and can only think it is the controller, but its a bit expensive to purchase a replacement when that might not be the problem, so again, has anyone any thoughts?

Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone any thoughts on this problem??

Having only ever been in one Delica and that's this one, I have nothing to compare to; does it sound like the controls are not working properly or are other Delica's just the same as mine?
My experience is with Pajero's and the heaters on those were fantastic, nothing like what I am getting with my van.

Cheers

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn' really much in the manual about faults with that. I would be inclined to fiddle with the flap control lever to see if it was jammed or had come loose.

It is under the dash, to the left of the main relay circuit board, where the diagnostic port is located in the photo below.

Other than that there is just the fault chart.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything was working correctly with the unit out, it sounds like something could now be fouling either the flap(s) or linkage since reinstallation. Is it possible to have trapped something between the unit air outlet(s) and the dash vent(s), so (a) air could be leaking away from the vent(s) or (b) the unit is slightly twisted, putting friction on moving parts?
Just grasping at straws, but sometimes you can hear if a servo motor is 'struggling'
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced the heater matrix in the summer, I bench tested all the servo's and they were all good apart from one which I fixed; having refitted the heater box, I have checked that all the servo's work and they do, they don't foul on anything and manually do not move any further than electrically.

Andy
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out in the wind and rain yesterday with the family and the windows steamed up and never really cleared as I still haven't sorted this problem.
One thought I had earlier was, the temperate can be controlled, the fan speed goes up and down as it should, so could the issue actually be an air flow blockage.
If so, can someone explain how the air flow /temp is controlled prior to the flap control box (with the heater matrix) as possibly there is a flap or something not working correctly in that area.
Cheers, Andy
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. Not an answer to your problem, but I have an lcd display of the windscreen, shown on the display when blowing to clear it.

I also have  a hard button with windscreen on which activates this and not shown in your image No.1.

I did have some steam up issues, but found out I was on recirculate  or something.

After moding past this, no more steamy Windows.
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I don't have a hard button showing the windscreen on mine, had a couple of mondeo's with that feature and it worked really well.
alfagunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
I was out in the wind and rain yesterday with the family and the windows steamed up and never really cleared as I still haven't sorted this problem.
One thought I had earlier was, the temperate can be controlled, the fan speed goes up and down as it should, so could the issue actually be an air flow blockage.
If so, can someone explain how the air flow /temp is controlled prior to the flap control box (with the heater matrix) as possibly there is a flap or something not working correctly in that area.
Cheers, Andy

Andy, I have the same problem and more. My display basically lies about the temperature and direction of selected air direction.

On my last meet in Wales, big storm came over and my windscreen steamed up, I selected what should have been the air direction to blow upwards on windscreen but what actually happened air direction was blowing at feet.

So desperately had to change air directions on display until I discovered I had to select blowing at feet direction for it to blow at the windscreen which I desperately needed lol....otherwise I would have had to stop!

Also re the temperature problem, I would describe the best heat I get out of my Deli as luke warm at best...32 displayed but that has never been reached lol. I suffered during this winter and wonder why this happens?

Been in Dekkers car lately which has manual heat control unit and his car is beautifully hot!

Anyway hope my info on the lying displays direction helps. And any ideas why my Deli is so cold would be appreciated...I feel the flaps aint opening fully or at all...best temp I got during winter was 20 degrees ish.
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfagunner wrote:
Also re the temperature problem, I would describe the best heat I get out of my Deli as luke warm at best...32 displayed but that has never been reached lol. I suffered during this winter and wonder why this happens?

Been in Dekkers car lately which has manual heat control unit and his car is beautifully hot!

And any ideas why my Deli is so cold would be appreciated...I feel the flaps aint opening fully or at all...best temp I got during winter was 20 degrees ish.

I've said, that I think your new thermostat is faulty.

When your car comes back from the HG job,
I'll check the temperature at the radiator and other parts of the engine with my I.R. reader, and compare it with mine.

Mr D
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help alfagunner.

Has anyone converted heating/aircon from the Digital device to manual operation.

Steve has a donor L400 with manual heating controls.

Mr D
alfagunner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update...my heat problem seems to have been fixed by 'simply' replacing the cracked cylinder head !  Shocked

After the new cylinder head and new gasket was completed, my car heater is warmer than ever.  Laughing

So just a heads up for anyone that a cracked cylinder head (worry) could be the cause of the low temp coming from the heater, well it definitely was in my case.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly an indication that the water channels to the head and heater were furred up - a lack of flow would make your head overheat, but your heater run cold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: