Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Juddering/shuddering - UJs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warringtonjack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 19:29    Post subject: Juddering/shuddering - UJs? Reply with quote

Hi guys. The van has developed a judder that occurs under varying loads and at varying speeds. It almost feels like driving over a cattle grid. It lasts for three or four seconds and then disappears. If I let off the throttle and coast, it disappears as well. Does this sound like a worn universal joint? I've checked for play in the front and rear ujs, and nothing seems untoward. The van had been stood for a few months in the docks before I got my hands on it. Are the UJ’s easily serviceable?

Anything else could cause similar symptoms that I should check?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 19:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

sir naggedalot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transfer box oil , maybe?

Auto or manual gearbox? Wondering about auto box levels,also?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UJs have grease nipples, so should be greased with a grease gun. I do mine every two years or 10,000km (6,500 miles approx.) The service parts are available from Milner Off-road in Derbyshire, and other spares suppliers.
fintious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was doing that until the transmission was stripped and rebuilt - the guy who did the work initially thought it may be the torque converter but that turned out to be fine. There were a couple of dry gaskets I think around the solenoids which were replaced. It’s been fine since rebuild. Hopefully yours won’t be the same as it cost a fortune!
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection of worn CV joints is that they click loudly when cornering but in a straight line they are quiet. UJ's tend to just have a slight single knock when you take your foot off the gas and then again when you put your foot down again. Juddering doesn't sound like CV'S or UJ's to me, you may need to look a little deeper for this.
Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing on the docks means that if not previously well lubricated, you may have stiffness in the UJs which will produce vibration. You need to get underneath, and grasp each end of the prop shafts in turn, look for rotational play, and lateral play, pushing from side to side. Check for oil leaks and lateral movement at the diff bearings and transfer box output bearings. The only front-to back movement should be where the shaft passes through the transfer box bearing seals, to allow for suspension movement. Did you change the diff oil? Check if it has noticeable metallics in it. Always make sure you can get the filler plug out first! Has the torque damper block fallen off the back of the gearbox? Not an uncommon occurrence, and can cause vibration under load.
Warringtonjack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, greased the UJs, and the juddering went away for 10 miles or so, and the drive felt much smoother. However, the vibration then came back so headed home again. Checked the prop shaft, and no lateral play. Maybe 1mm or 2mm rotational play, but that felt to be expected. The harmonic balancing block is still in situ. I'm wondering whether a bearing might have gone within one of the UJs. How easy are they to change out? Might just swap them for new anyway. Failing that, might have to start looking at diffs or the box.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll ideally need a good pair of circlip pliers for the cap retaining clips, a good solid metalwork bench vice and sockets or tubes of the correct sizes to support the yokes while you hammer the caps and spider with a smaller socket form the other side, after giving it all a good soaking in releasing fluid. I got my UJs from Milners, they have been fine so far.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Don't forget to have some kind of plug or container to prevent or catch the oil from the transfer box when you pull out the propshaft. Once you've got it out, you'll be able to check if there is any stiffness or notchiness in the spider bearings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: