Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Rear Spot Lamps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 13:02    Post subject: Rear Spot Lamps Reply with quote

I am going to fit a pair of rear spot lamps to my vehicle as trying to reverse in the dark in the middle of nowhere is so difficult; it's a high roof with rear spoiler.

I'm sure lots of people have done this before but I would like a bit of input from anyone who's done this before - where have you attached them to? The tail gate itself or the spoiler?

Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 13:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted a pair of LED's for additional reversing lamps, fitted just above the and to the side of the number plate and wired into the reversing light circuit.

As you can see these do provide a decent amount of light:-

Having fitted a reversing camera above the number plate I removed the tailgate mirror and bolted on an additional worklight, switched on and off by the driver as required:-

The main reason for this was for when reversing when offroad at night  to help show low level tree branches and camping in woods to help light up my camp area. As this photo shows there is more than enough light:-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good, I hadn't thought of mounting them by the number plate; I have been looking at some flush mounted rectangular ones that would require a hole cutting in the tail gate to mount them which is a pain as I will also have to run extra wires to them as well.
Are yours straight off the reversing lights, and what wattage are they?

Cheers, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are SMD’s each giving the equivalent of 18w.  But they use so little power that, as I stated above, they are wired directly to the reversing lights, without needing extra fuses.

I did fit flush mounted rectangular rear fog lights into the rear bumper, that I wired into a dash switch, by wiring it into the A/T switch for power and earth. That was so simple to wire in I should have patented it. Very Happy

The work lamp is also an 18’ish wattage.
It takes power from the rear internal rooflight, then has an earth cable to a roof mounted switch, above the drivers sun visor, which is then earthed in the front roof light unit.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Thu Feb 25, 2021 20:02; edited 1 time in total
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

All my lighting, in and out is LED apart from my head lights, so I am looking at LED Spot lights anyway - anything to reduce the amount of extra wiring and relays etc. Have you thought about changing all your rear bulbs to LED Mr D, you may find that you then have the required 12v you need for your LED light strips.

The ones I am looking at are either 2 X 18w, or 2 x 48w, I'm not sure which, I don't want them rediculously bright so that I can't use them in suburbia and end up having to fit a switch for them, but want them bright for dark nights in the middle of nowhere.

Dilemmas!

Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted LED lights, similar to Lewis' - to the nudge bar brackets on the rear of my L300, and wired straight to the OEM reversing lights, which are pathetic, even with the windows wound down. The ones I have have an up-down swivel bracket, with a single fixing stud, so I can also alter the angle to the side for the best wide angle illumination. When I ordered them, I ordered two, at £7.25 each. What arrived was two pairs, at £7.25/pair, so I fitted the extra pair to the front on a separate switch, with permanent live. They are so bright, I use them at dusk, when the lights of modern oncoming cars are so bright, I can't see the road edges properly on my standard dipped beams, especially on the narrow country lanes near home.
NB, I believe you are only allowed an extra two rear lights in total, of whatever colour, and if white, no more than 20W, and they must only engage in reverse. Of course, 20 W LED is the equivalent of around 150W filament!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve replaced my single and double filament bayonet lamps for SMD’s, in the brake and sidelights all round, rear fogs and the normal reversing lamps.  However it’s not possible with the indicators, as the resistance is so low that they flash too fast and thus don't actually light up.

Internal roof and Map lamps are all SMD’s, so battery drain is as low as possible. The main headlamp/ dip/ main beams are standard, but the extra, inner lamps, are 30W HiD’s, with built in cooling fans, etc.

I had a go at replacing the front DRL’s (fogs) with LED’s however they were a waste of cash, due to the size of them being to large to go through the holes.

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure my indicators are LED, but at my age I'm sure about so much even though it often never happened!

Will check tomorrow,

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED’s are great for providing a brighter and whiter light to be able to see them, but not as good at projecting the light any great distance, to see what is there.

ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max wattage allowed on rear is 21 watts per lamp and if white only two lamps (I believe) for reversing.
I may be wrong but check with Lighting Regulations for vehicles.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: