4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Low roof tailgate struts

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 20:41    Post subject: Low roof tailgate struts Reply with quote

Howdy all.

Sorry I don't know if this is the correct thread area but I couldn't see a parts one?

Anyone know a website where you can get new rear tailgate gas struts, or does anyone ever see them for sale second hand online?

They seem to be pretty hard to source. I need part numbers MB337424/MB337425 for the 'low roof' normal sunroof model.

I tried 'car parts in motion' on eBay. They have the exact code.....turns out its for a Hyundai or something. Fair play I got a refund but I've been looking for months now.

Anyhelp much appreciated as mine won't even hold it a slight bit and will be hard to work inside with it down.

Thanks

Matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 20:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mr.b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 23:15    Post subject: tailgate struts Reply with quote

Hello Matt,
        There is company called sgs-engineering that some members have used. I think they do re-gassing
and also make custom struts if you are tall and need a bit more headroom.
         I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.
                        Cheers Chris & Chris.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this post:-  http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39186

Regardless of vehicle the info is the same, note that Pink Pig bought the SGS struts a few years back for his L300.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:17; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyundai H100 was the Hyundai built L300 panel van clone, sold on the UK market, as was the L300 panel van. So a Mitsubishi or Hyundai dealer should be able to supply the OEM parts, as they all had lift-up tailgates.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

That post is a great read cheers lewis. Looks like my best option for sure and that's exactly the price I paid for the wrong pair on eBay.

Andy man thanks for that knowledge I had no idea there was a UK spec rebrand L300. That makes sense about the part numbers then. But when they were a bit shorter than the ones off my van, both in cylinder and rod length. Plus the fitting bracket for the L300 at the top is at a very particular angle and these came bob on straight. The bottom was an exact match so was a shame. If you had the tools I guess you could bend it but would be tricky and weaken it no doubt.

Ill be sure to check out SGS now after reading that. Sounds like there very strong at least.

Thanks again
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I can never seem to see images on old posts. Like that link you posted Lewis.

Is that due to that member leaving the forum and therefore deleting his pictures etc or am I missing something....
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a mention.
I used SGS for pop top roof struts. They've been perfect.

I do also need to get my tailgate struts refurbed so following.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandelica, did you check out the availability of struts for the genuine Mitsubishi low roof L300 panel van from any Mitsubishi dealer? My first experience of driving an L300 was the brand new delivery van work bought for me to deliver kitchens in 1991. From Norjac Mitsubishi at Carnforth.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Andy. No I haven't called a dealer but I did have a very good scan online and found nothing. I was just under the assumption old parts for old cars/vans get discontinued and they won't be in stock. Looked on Amayama and they are eye watering prices.  

Have you managed to find parts from current dealers for the old vans?

Ha thats such a cool story, and now you ride around in one for pleasure...

Update from SGS. Emailed and they said 90% can be re gassed so send them in and its about £45 for two delivered which seems decent. if not new ones it is with old brackets welded onto them.

ill keep you posted....
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancdelica wrote:
Also I can never seem to see images on old posts. Like that link you posted Lewis.

Is that due to that member leaving the forum and therefore deleting his pictures etc or am I missing something....

A few years back photobucket changed their operating system so that people using them as a photo host had to pay them £400 a year to allow the photos to be seen on third party sites. Like here.

Most just dropped them altogether and went elsewhere. I did the same reuploading a few thousand to a different host, then spent weeks editing my old posts; infact I still get advised of some as time goes on.

Some had already left the club, so those are not editable. Others just left the posts as is, due to the difficulty in redoing them.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancdelica wrote:
..... Looked on Amayama and they are eye watering prices. .....

Bear in mind that with Brexit many items that got through customs before are now getting stopped with increased costa added for VAT and import tax, so the government can start recouping money spent on the Covid issues.

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, I've swapped them over, left - to - right, and vice-versa. It means the top of the lower bracket becomes the bottom, and moves the pivot up around 20mm. This translates to an extra two or three inches height under the lip of the tailgate, and can save you banging your head on it!
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my strut is with SGS engineering. They have got back to me and said that think the bracket is bent. I'm unsure if it is or not. It looks it but thats how it came off the van and the door did open with no creaks etc so I assumed it was just manufactured in this unique way. looking at it now I'm unsure....

He's asked what would I like to do. he said he cannot re-gas with it like this and need to straighten. if he attempts to straighten this could break it all together (then its a new pair for £95).

Anyone know what they should look like. If its meant to be at this angle then I'm going to ask to try and re-gas like this. If not it looks like a new pair either way  Crying or Very sad

Cheers

Matt
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the part codes are MB337424 & MB337425 as I know there are several for different high and Low tops.

Cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you compare them together then yes, the left one is bent.

Straightening should not be an issue, as they are made of mild steel.

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked mine. Those are the brackets that fit to the body, as opposed to the tailgate, and the left-hand one in the picture is bent. It is fairly thick metal so will take some force to straighten.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they got back to me at SGS and said they cannot straighten without the bracket breaking. fair enough. They are adamant on that. But equally cannot re-gas without doing so (plus I need it straight anyway to go back on and work correctly).

So now they have said my options are to send back. Or buy new ones for £95 all in. But for this they would still need to do a bracket transfer by removing my brackets and then welding to the new struts, and now all of a sudden being able to straighten the bracket in question now its off the strut??? I really don't understand that logic at all.

I'm now thinking the ones I bought from ebay were actually okay, looking back as my bracket was bent after all. Those were £62 delivered. I've not once seen any for sale online or anyone breaking a van with them still on. They seem very hard to get....

Any ideas what you guys would do. I'm stumped now.
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a bit of heat, that will straighten very easily and not break - I've done it dozens of times with bent and buckled items, I think you just haven't found the right crowd to do it, but how did it get bent like that?
Another option is to try  Mitzibitz in Rotherham, they are breaking these vehicles all the time.
Andy
jo0lz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post photo[s] of the brackets on my low roof L300 rear hatch in a bit
Though I think I did flip them to make the hatch open higher [a simple HACK] when I fitted my replacement SGS struts needed to coupe with my ladders extra weight on the rear hatch
Jo0Lz
jo0lz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:

A few years back photobucket changed their operating system so that people using them as a photo host had to pay them £400 a year to allow the photos to be seen on third party sites. Like here.

Most just dropped them altogether and went elsewhere. I did the same reuploading a few thousand to a different host, then spent weeks editing my old posts; infact I still get advised of some as time goes on.

Some had already left the club, so those are not editable. Others just left the posts as is, due to the difficulty in redoing them.

If I'm going to post pix of my L300 gas strut brackets what's the best [FREE] photo hosting site Lewis?
Just so they don't disappear from this forum in the future . . .
Jo0Lz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: