Adrian Flux - 01553 845 945

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

new arrival

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Newbies questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 17:24    Post subject: new arrival Reply with quote

hi all,

finally my Delica L400 2.8 Exceed has arrived from England here in Austria. car is a 1994 but very clean body and underbody, had no welding, looks pretty solid.
having a bit of initial issues such as a dead flat battery even after 20hrs charge. jump started and took it for a spin.
fan belt is singing in idle but then all quiet. when driving and pushing the pedal there is an irritating noise, kind of something sheering metal to metal or plastic to metal? that sound is only when driving , not when pushing the pedal in N. ? it occurs at 3000 revs sharp and continues whining.
it is leaking some oil, dripping from the underbody protection, have not spotted it yet. too cold too dark...
sunroof opens but does not close, if pulling it forward it gets to a point where the tilt should set in but doesn´t. how can I close that one? haven´t seen a tool or slot.
so, all in all pretty happy with the appearance but not quite sure what further surprises are waiting for me to find...

tia
p.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 17:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

did I mention that the front wheel indicators are flashing when in 2WD?
is this like a membersip card?

anyone a hint which starter battery would be a good fit? how many Ah?
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref whining, possibly the turbo, or possibly overboost relief valve, as it only occurs at over 3000 rpm? Is that not around 120kph in top/O/D? Ref battery - fit the biggest that will physically fit - just note the terminals are on the opposite side to most european cars. I take it yours is the single battery version,  around 90-95 A/H, but with a diesel, get the highest CCA (cold cranking amps) rating for the size. Flashing front wheel lights is not uncommon on these, it's a minor niggle, as long as the 4WD lever does what it is supposed to in the various positions (test it off road, but not where you'll get stuck if 4WD is not engaging!) When these sunroofs stick/stop, it is usually because the two sides are not moving exactly in sync, at the point where it is supposed to lift, this difference may be more obvious. Someone with a L400 should be able to give better detailed advice, mine is an L300 - simple 4WD and manual, non-sliding sunroof.
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sunroof, start with this mega-thread....... http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15213

You might have a tool in the tool pouch stored in the rear compartment or glove box. Looks like a wheel wrench/hex drive that is made to manually fit into the motor drive of the sunroof and wind it closed. This only works if all the mechanism is clean and working, so if it's worn gears that are slipping it will still need some hands on attention as if you were using the electric button.

Common fault is the small cog wears down and makes a machine gun rattle as it slips over the worm gear it's meant to be driving

Rich
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sunroof is stopping before it tilts shut, then the motor is misaligned. There are plastic cams on the motor that turn it on and off, so it can finish even when the sunroof is in the wrong position.

I found if you remove the interior light and access the motor, dismount the motor and use the switch to go to the shut or open position depending on which position the sunroof glass is in, then refit the motor.

Rich
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,
machine gun rattle it is, roof doesn't go without supporting by hand but only until tilt.
will look into this
no tools :-(
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stabs in the dark.

Oil leak is rocker cover gasket half moons.

Screeching noise is crankshaft pulley, due to harmonic band degradation.

The emergency roof closer is a long 5mm Allen key bent like a starting handle - a T bar Allen key will do the job..

Flashing green and Amber lights on the 4WD display are a standard feature for the drivers entertainment only.

Merry Christmas.......Good afternoon !
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about the belt and pulley, as there is noise in idle too. sounds way better than a turbo anyways...
thanks for the hints

first I will get a new battery as this is no fun trying out things.

the car has an immobilizer but just one key to it, creeps me out, I am proone to loosing things like that
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_rookie wrote:
did I mention that the front wheel indicators are flashing when in 2WD?

Read the 4WD Floor Lever part of this post:- OD button - A/T switch and 4WD Gear Controls For New Owners

Then read this post:- 2WD - 4WD Transmission (Switch Locations)

As for leak, this post may help Identify where it is coming from:- Identifying Puddles under your Deli

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again...
so....bought a new battery and brackets which the previous owner just took out before selling as it was a brand new one, must have thought he might have use for the brackets as well or just make my life more miserable? what a great character he is, helpful as a catflap in an elephant house.
I still did not receive the car's papers, V5 and original sales contract as they were sent with registered mail rather than putting them on the truck for transportation...
mail got lost, sent to Poland or something which he was able to prove.
even I could look up that there is an online option to obtain copies of the papers with DVLA but this guy just can´t get it done. he is paid in full, took back his new battery which he sold to me, took away all spares he promised to pack along and would just not comply with the simplest of tasks. I cannot start registration without any of it. car has no value as of now.
what are my options? guy is just not responding for more than a week now.

anyways, I will find a way dealing with it. I just can't get the v5 myself from DVLA without any proof of ownership.

for the screeching noise, well, that´s no belt or pulley as it seems, it appears from 2500 revs and sounds like if something blows off. together with the major oil leak which I did not look after yet as it is just too cold and I am quite frustrated looking at the car sitting there without knowing if I´ll ever get papers so I won´t touch a thing...all undocumented features of a superb car. my bad buying a black cat at night. sorry, had to vent my frustration
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, did I mention it doesn´t start easily even with new battery?

seems to not get Diesel at all. primed the pump a lot, takes like 20 pushes to get some resistance and still it would only start with some push on the accelerator. lot of white smoke at start up , lots of air in the system as it seems, after a while it runs well with the exemption of the screeching noise.
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Peter. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully, this link may help you obtain a replacement registration document, but it may be more long winded at the moment, with Covid issues etc. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate.
Regarding air in the fuel system and starting problems. Mark3 on here can give you better advice than me, but it sounds like the front oil seal on the injector pump is leaking; it's a common fault, and well documented on here. You may find that removing the oil filler cap produces a smell of diesel, as fuel that leaks past the seal, ends up in the sump. It's sod's law that the car you buy at a distance has problems, I've done it twice in the last few years, only to find the vehicle was not as good as my rose coloured glasses let me believe. I was lucky, as a Deli virgin, that I wasn't caught out in the same way when I bought mine 11 years ago.
All the best, you'll get loads of support and advice from the Deli community. People like your vendor bring us all down.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andyman,
many thanks for cheering me up.
when sh..birds like my vendor bring everyone down it´s chaps like you that make all up for it.
feel welcome already, many thanks!
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter.
Poor starting may be due to Glow Plugs failed. Easy to check.
For bad starting that would be the first part/s I would look at.

The Primer pump body - Has a very thin metal valve that prevents fuel flow back,
after a long time, the valve deforms, will not pump fuel by hand.
The valve is so delicate, it’s virtually impossible to "un-deform" by hand.

Milner in Derbyshire can supply the primer body - Had to replace mine this year.

HTH
Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Milners I know quite well, will inquire there as no primer pump on webshop.
don´t think it´s the glow plugs, it just doesn´t get fueled
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Filter/Primer top from Milner in 2020.

Glow Plugs - Have you actually checked them  Question

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, didn't check glowplugs yet.
car is sitting in the driveway at some zero degrees and it's no fun doing anything

will need to clean up the garage to pull her in and check around at maybe eight degrees then :-)

this  includes glowplugs and primer pump for the starting issue and the pressure release valve for noise
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a safety check done yesterday.
before that I removed the engine protector plate for better access
found the sump plug hanging loose. this was my oil leak :-)
battery fitted new only 12 days ago was totally flat, something is drawing power :-(

at least car turns out to be in quite good condition, underbody was never sealed and shows little surface rust but two small holes on inner sills which require welding but within tolerable effort
brake pipes corroded may need replacement, stabilizer link and bushing need replacement
not too bad overall
I have now ordered new glow plugs, don't cost much and may be 26yrs by now
plus some other stuff. could not yet find fuel primer pump
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the filter-top primer. If no-one on here knows of a source, members of MDOCUK’s sister forum for Pajero/Shoguns POCUK, may be able to advise. Some have Delica’s too.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in my L300 is from a Nissan I think. All I could get at the time, but does the job.
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Newbies questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: