4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Front Ventilation System Blocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 14:21    Post subject: Front Ventilation System Blocked Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been battling for a long time with very little air coming out of the front blowers and not enough to clear the windscreen or be noticeable when I change where it is directed.
I decided to have a look this morning and found that the fan works very well and all the flaps for changing the direction seem to be working properly.
I set it to recirc to make sure it had the most unrestricted air flow into the fan and this made no noticable difference.
I then tried to remove the cover to the air con heat exchanger after the fan and couldn't but I was able to pull it down a bit and could see the matrix and it looked to be totally blocked with dirt and flies etc. hence no/very limited air flow.
The big question now is - how can I clean it out?
The A/C does not work, so breaking into the A/C pipe work is not an issue but it just looks like it will be an awkward job.
Does anyone have any advice?
Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 14:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you blow the matrix with compressed air  Question

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried accessing the intake vent from the engine bay side, above the battery.

NB: When youdo take care not to break the glass heat sensor on the drivers side of the vent.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting Lewis.
Would that sensor be for all models, or just those with the Full Air Conditioning system  Question

Mr D
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the A/C evaporator which is blocked, that is right up against the front heater unit (with the various baffles to direct the air to different locations) and the fan. So I can't get to the outlet side of the evaporator to blow it out; to me it would need to come out to then be blown through unless there is a way to remove the bottom casing which I have already put a small split in just pulling it down.
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Would that sensor be for all models, or just those with the Full Air Conditioning system  Question

Pass!
I've only had Deli's with Aircon, so I've not seen inside the vent on another Deli.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out the evaporator this afternoon which was surprisingly easy and found it to be about 80% blocked with crud, I'm running without it just now but it's great, I now have air that I can direct anywhere I want for a change!
Andy
Bizmarty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get the evaporator out?
After reading your first post I realised I have the same problem. It used to be very good air flow, but not anymore.
The A/C is working so it would have to be a way to gain access to it to clean it without removing it preferably.
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bizmarty,

You have to disconnect the two A/C pipes from it behind the batteries in the engine bay first, so you will lose your refrigerant if you have any - mine has been empty for years so no problem.  

Then remove the glove box and brace that it mounts on and the duct to warm your feet, you can then see the evaporator case - a black case to the right of the fan.  

Unplug it, and then there are two or three nuts or bolts at the top and one at the bottom, remove these and it simply pulls out. The foam round the pipes might be stuck to the firewall, so it is probably better to push the pipes from the engine bay rather than pull it from the cabin.

Once it's out, I think it's two screws in the casing and three or four spring clips to open the casing and remove the evaporator.  I removed the evaporator and closed up the casing, duct taped over the hole for the pipes and refitted it so I had some warmth straight away.
Now it's soaking in a tub of mild soapy water whilst I decided whether to refit it.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: