2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Interior Light - how battery hungry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 17:16    Post subject: Interior Light - how battery hungry? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I have recently acquired a 2002 Mitsubishi Delica

Now that it’s autumn, daylight disappears fast

My question is - with the engine off, is it safe to use the large long interior rear light?

If I wanted to read a book for 45 minutes or something, how much will that drain the battery?

any advice gratefully received-

I have noticed there are several different levels of brightness. I was wondering what peoples experience are using this light
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 17:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gpf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

(it has the large interior light - on the crystallite roof)
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty power hungry, as the tube is actually a 230v item, so the unit contains an inverter, which is apparently what eats the watts. Many have replaced the innards with 12v leds, which use virtually nothing, but I'm not sure you get the 3-way dimmer effect working too. I've kept the original, but added a strip of colour-changeable leds around the van above the windows with a multi- option remote control, so you can have colour change mood lighting. Many of these are sold as 230v, but they come with a plug-in transformer, so I have just snipped the cable, and added a standard 12v auxilliary ciggy lighter plug. Does yours also have the little eyeball light above the back seat like my L300?
gpf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does yep (although that smaller light seem to be working)

thanks a lot for this

will copy/paste into a word doc and have a think

thanks for the detail (I had no idea how it was setup)
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
... Many have replaced the innards with 12v leds, which use virtually nothing, but I'm not sure you get the 3-way dimmer effect working too. ...

You can with the use of 5W Zener diodes in the circuit.

See this post for instructions and photos. Note some photos have gone, but enough posts remain to show how to do it.  http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38342

I did mine in a similar way to theFleured. Though I used red and blue SMD's, as well as white ones, plus a mini-disco effect as one switching position.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped out all the old gubbins from the centre light and hooked in two 12v led tubes to replace the fluorescents and two orange led strips to replace the coloured lights (can't remember what they were originally). They all work through the original three position brightness control and colour change buttons.

I also replaced the rear lamp with an led circuit board which is very bright and all the front lights with led's; now when we are camping in the van, we have them on all night with no battery issues.  I have also left them on by accident for a few days, again no battery issues.

Andy
gpf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - that'll give me something (and enough confidence) to have a go now -

Brilliant forum - thank you all.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced all the INferior lights with LED's

Difference being, I use Discreet LED bulbs and 12 volt LED light strips, cut to size.

The LED light strip, are the type with 3 LED's per 25 mm. Or 120 LED's per metre.

Mr D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: