4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

LPG conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:26    Post subject: LPG conversion Reply with quote

What are people’s thoughts on LPG conversions?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge is based on a Renault 19 16v that I took from 75,000miles to 141,000 on LPG,
and still running perfectly when I sold it (one of the biggest regrets of my car-owning life).

Because it ran so clean, I could extend the oil and filter changes by 25%; oil would stay clear
from one change to the next, and when I removed the cam-cover for the first time, to repaint it
just before I sold it, there was no black in the cam chamber.
It was a relatively simple system by comparison with some, and I calculated that the fuel cost savings
paid for the system after the first 15,000 miles, after that, it saved around 35 -40% fuel costs,
depending on which garage I filled up at.

LPG has less energy per litre, so you get 10-15% less mpg, and ultimately,less power.
90% of the time, that didn't bother me, but if I wanted to make a quick getaway, a flick of the switch
returned me to full petrol power!

In very cold (frosty) weather, it would occasionally stall on my short city commute, as it switched in and
out of LPG mode, but this may be because for years I had a less-than-perfect battery earth, and with
demister, lights and wipers, there wasn't always enough power for the LPG solenoid!

The 45L donut tank occupied the spare wheel space, so the full size (205mm wide) spare took up
a large part of the cabrio's boot - you may want to fit a swing-out wheel carrier.
(other tank shapes and sizes are available, so worth researching.)

Best if you can find a fitter who  knows the Mitsi V6, I once nearly bought a Honda V6 Accord -
that had an extra lubricating system fitted, as the fitter had insisted that the Honda engine needed it
because the LPG was so "dry" (non-lubricating). Hoping this helps.
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that long reply!

The fitter I am discussing with for my 3.0L V6 has told me they would fit a flashlube system (as LPG runs a bit dry!). Are you suggesting this is not required/overkill?

Would also BG treat the fuel every year (assuming its always driven on the LPG so just 1/4 tank for starting up).
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - was thinking about swing out wheel carrier as I would prefer to have a spare with me! Do you know anyone that fits them?
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine done and runs without any issues whatsoever.
The kit fitted to mine is made by emer, fitted by svs in Verwood.

It's taken 2 years to pay for itself doing 200 miles a week and now I'm saving.  Smile

I would recommend if you have a few garages around you that sell it. That is the main issue and it seems like shell have now stopped doing it at most of their stations.  Sad

Get the biggest possible tank that will fit.

I only had 55000 on the clock, so this made sure it was worth it as a keeper
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:"The fitter I am discussing with for my 3.0L V6 has told me they would fit a flashlube system (as LPG runs a bit dry!). Are you suggesting this is not required/overkill?"

No, I suggest your fitter may know his business better than I! Lubricating systems were never mentioned for my Renault, and it may be something to do with Japanese precision V6 engineering, although, having said that, the R19 1.8L, 16 valve revved like a turbine! See what other V6 owners say.
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input! I certainly bought mine as a keeper - and plan to have it several years (all things being good/equal). So I think I will very likely get the LPG conversion done.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say.. I have the gas lube saver, (whatever it called) fitted also.
Buy the 5litre and it will last ages.
It costs, but I'm on year three now with a good litre and a half left. 👍

Don't skrimp on the kit, or fitter, and it will serve you well.

I just drive mine, no buttons, no hassle.

Its programmed to start on petrol, and when up to temp, approx 35 degrees, the gas kicks in.

The emer kit, comes with a diagnostic port, which can be used to program extra petrol if needed, but I've had no issues with it at all.
richjp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - very much appreciated and I feel the same. Get it done well at the outset and then save over the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: