2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

3L V6 timing belt 24v

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 22:45    Post subject: 3L V6 timing belt 24v Reply with quote

Since my new Delica had it's timing belt changed 14 years ago I think it's time to change it.

I've tried looking at the workshop manuals posted by terramonkey here but the v6 engine doesn't seem to be there. You tube didn't have any videos so I'm a bit stuck.  I've changed the timing belt many years ago on a Suzuki sj413 so I'm quite happy to give it a go but if there is any advise or guidance anybody is willing to provide, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 22:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon. I'm not a V6 owner, but I have a Haynes Mitsubishi Pajero Workshop manual 1983 thru 1996, which includes a comprehensive section on the V6 engines, both single and double over-head cam engines of that period. (I have it for the info on the 2.5 diesel in my L300).  I don't have a picture hosting facility, and am currently blocked from commenting on the MDOCUK FB forum, so can't post anything on there at the moment, but you may be able to trawl  the internet and find an old copy. (it may be out of print). Good luck, I'm sure I have seen a comprehensive how to on here somewhere, but you might also ask on POCUK, this site's sister.
JonH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

I'll take a look, I've registered with the US Delica forum too just see if there's anything there too  Very Happy
Cheers
Jon
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Australian groups too, - they have always gone for the petrol models more than diesels over there, and are much more plentiful.
JonH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the manual for the v6 on the US site. Just need to do it now lol

If there's a way I can email the pdf  to someone who can put it up on our forum as it would be useful for other petrol owners/members  Very Happy

Cheers jon
Zab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon...V6 owner myself. Mines on a boat from Canada right now. Moving back after a long time away...bringing the Deli with me  Cool
I have the work shop manual...if its not on this site somewhere (new here) I can look for it and email you what I have.
One thing to say...be sure to replace the crank bolt with a new one. Don't reuse and if you order the bolt separately from a belt kit make sure its the revised version...not the long one. I doubt a bolt is included with a kit. Believe there are pictures out there somewhere. There were a few revisions on that bolt. I was lucky when mine snapped...stopped real quick and no damage but dealing with the broken bolt in crank snout was a big stress...and I was lucky. That was 6000kms after a belt change.
JonH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I'll order one up before I do it.

Ill take a good look at the process involved this weekend and if it's okay can I  pm you for some practical advice?

Cheers

Jon
mark3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced 100s of cam belts and many on the Mitsi V6 too, there is no need to replace the crank pulley bolt, it's not a stretch bolt nor is it listed as needs to be replaced in the Mitsi workshop procedure.

The only reason they snap is they're gunned up (over tightened) because people don't have the correct tools to do them up to the right torque setting, a new bolt gunned up can and will still snap.

The only reason they continue to come loose is also as above, people don't have the correct tools to tighten to the correct torque,  the job don't go well and it gets blamed on the parts involved when in reality is due to lack of ability and knowledge.

Have the right tools, do the job correctly and you will have no issues.

Don't have the right tools but use new parts and you will still have trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for the advice.  I'm going to take a look at it this weekend just to get my head around what's needed removed etc.  Will also see what tools I'll need too

Cheers
Jon
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mark sez.

Don't have the right tools but use new parts and you will still have trouble.

Don't have the right FEEL for threaded fasteners, and you will have trouble.

Over the summer period I've been helping a new member (car, L400)
Had been previously owned by an idiot. Just about every threaded item all way over-tightened  Evil or Very Mad
one bolt so over tight, it snapped off trying to undo it  Mad

The worst ones were on taper lock components i.e. Track rod ends, Upper and Lower steering joints.
Made separating the joints really hard   Twisted Evil  The joints were to be preserved, therefore joint separators could not be used.
As those tools normally wreck the rubber seal, Ball & Socket.

Mr D
Zab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...

I do agree with the last comments. That said, mine did fail, that particular version of the bolt. There's either two or maybe three, two I think.
I didn't do the work myself, but the shop that did are/were very experienced with Deli's and have a good reputation. I imported it and had some work done before taking it across the country. The guy that owned the place was well known on Canadian Deli forums going back some time.
Anyways to echo the above my first thought when balancer came off was mechanic didn't torque it to spec and it came loose or it was overtightened and it snapped. It was the latter, as in it snapped. I don't know if it was a sloppy job. I thought that was the likely event for sometime. I can't be certain though.
Mitsubishi did recall the bolt that I had on, there was an advisory that new versions should be used when changing the belt. I've got the recall details somewhere I think, including pictures from mitsi. The updated version looks quite different. Again who knows. It's a $10 bolt at the end of the day. I wasn't about to fit the pulley with a bolt type I new mitsi had concerns with when I sourced a new one. YMMV. Smile

I do have the 6G72 pages from Terramonkey Jon, let me know if you'd like them

zab
JonH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zab

I've pm'd you my email  Very Happy
Zab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Jon.
Sent you an email.

Not sure if the manual is on the site here? ...thought maybe not...
I could make it available if that helps anyone who wants it. It's a big file and 2020 pages in length.
4D56 and 6G72

Smile

zab
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, tightening a threaded fixing until it squeaks is not the way to go..

Every day is a school day.  Very Happy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can view it online here:-
https://procarmanuals.com/pdf-online-mitsubishi-engine-6g7-series-workshop-manual/

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Kevin58

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon
Interesting thread, as I am considering buying a V6 fresh import and apparently they don't come with any service history so although the mileage may be low (Circa 60,000-80,000 miles) the cam belt may well be of the same age!
I can only speak for the older 12 valve, having had my first Shogun from almost new to nearly 20 years old. I changed the cam belt a few times on that. It was a labour of love, time consuming and requiring removal of a number of ancillaries. Take your time, note where everything was (Photos as you go are not a bad idea), note where all bolts come from as some are longer than others.
I also changed the water pump as a precaution at the same time. I assume the 24 valve is similar to the 12 valve, in that the water pump is located behind the cam belt cover.
Mark everything before removal at TDC. I always marked the old belt with a dob of white paint and counted the teeth between key points, That way, I could double check the installation of the new belt with the old belt marked for reference. Avoid any contaminants on the new belt.
Use a good torque wrench where applicable. They are a good investment and should negate the issues with bolts shearing as above. I'm afraid I don't have torque settings to hand but I still have a Shogun Haynes manual somewhere.
Don't forget a new alternator belt is also a good idea at the same time.
It's also worth considering replacing the front crankshaft seal while everything is apart. I had one let go on my 12 valve V6, spewed oil everywhere and required yet another new timing belt as it was contaminated. It's a pain to do in situ but doable.
After everything is buttoned up, I always find it useful to have 2 fingers of brave juice (Pure malt Scotch) handy prior to first starting. I feel I've earned it after everything if it works, and if it goes bang then it tends to dull the pain!
Good luck!
Regards
Kev
JonH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kev for the advice. The last couple of weekends haven't been great weather  wise but I'll take note of your advice and when the time comes I'll  give it a go. I'm also considering getting a garage to do it although I'll be asking for advice for reputable garages who know and understand delicas in my neck of the woods in Scotland

Cheers jon
richjp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for the manual too - thanks for the link!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: