4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Help understanding non starting Deli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:21    Post subject: Help understanding non starting Deli Reply with quote

Hi All,

This morning I jumped in the Deli [L400 S2] on the way to work, and when turning the key I got dash lights and glow plug light as normal. But when starting I got a click then completely dead. No electrics, nothing. This happened a couple of years ago when I had two cars on the road, and after leaving it for a day it worked fine, but now I only have the Deli on the road.

I tried disconnecting the earth from the battery and reconnecting but still dead.

Took the battery off and put it on the charger, battery showed fully charged within about a minute but I left it on the charger for an hour whilst the sun came up and I could see better under the bonnet.

Checked the fuses on the +positive lead at the battery end, visibly all intact. Reconnected battery and everything came back to life and started as if nothing was wrong... but now three hours has passed and if work wasn't so flexible I would have been in a pickle.

Can any of the more electrical/mechanical minded people explain what could cause this? Was it simply disconnecting the +positive that fixed it? I used to think if I've disconnected the -negative then it's the same thing.

Rich
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mark3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is usually down to a defective starter motor, the solenoid (the bit that moves the  starter drive gear into the engines ring gear and makes the final power connection to the motor) is defective, over time the contacts get burnt and dirty and don't allow continuity.... several attempts sometimes gets it running, also holding the key on the start position and giving the starter body a good solid poke with something solid (jack handle) will fire it up but on a Deli its not easy to get too.

Basically you should have power at the large cable connection on the starter all the time and the small wire connected by a spade should be live when the key is turned to start position, if it is and the main earth and positive connections are good the starter motor is the problem, the solenoid can prolyl be rebuilt but most people just replace the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mark.

So when the starter solenoid is stuck, does it ground out all the electric circuit? Everything went dead, lights, interior feed even the central locking.

I suppose removing the +positive feed allows the solenoid to move back to it's resting position?

I'll start looking for replacement parts as I don't fancy having another dead Deli morning now that Autumn/Winter is beginning.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: