Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

How to combine roof bars with awning rail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtnefish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 21:42    Post subject: How to combine roof bars with awning rail Reply with quote

Anybody got any recommendations for simple roofbars fitted to Delica Space Gear chamonix?  I also want to fit an awning rail but can't figure out how to combine the two. I think I will have to have a gap between the vehicle and the awning but maybe thats the price to pay for wanting both. Has anybody cracked this one?

(Moved question here. Delica Mods section is for showing vehicle 'Modifications' you have done to your own Deli. Admin.
Note what it says on the menus description:-
For showing modifications done, by members, to their own Delica's, who want to show them to other members. Don't start a post with a question asking how to do modifications, they will be deleted. )
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 21:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of awning, a roll-out one or one with a cord-beaded edge, designed to slot into a figure8 profile, or a simple sheet with eyelets you can put hooks,  tapes or rubber rings through to fasten to a straight rail? Fed up with fighting to get my drive-away tent/awning up in a moderate breeze, I have made a simple side awning out of a lightweight tarpaulin, run a 6mm diameter electrical flex through the edge, which fits into the fig 8 profile, and this profile clips nicely to the gutter on my L300. Two legs and guy ropes hold the other end up; the legs are extendable and have prongs on the end which fit through the eyelets on the corners of the tarp. A suitable piece of pipe/tube, fastened across the legs of your roof bars is good enough to hang a tarp on with S hooks; small jubilee clips fastened round the tube will hold the outer S hooks apart to keep the tarp stretched along the tube. Strong twine, or clamps (not spring ones) will hold the tube onto the roof bar legs. Functional, not beautiful.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally depends on the type of awning and rail you have.

Once you have them then let us know which type it is and we can advise accordingly.

Personally I have the type that connects using the Fig8 channel, with a length of the flexible canvas and rod bolted to my roof bar legs, inside a length of electrical conduit.

When travelling the conduit cover is in place, to hold things inside, out of the way.
When I want to use the awning I just slide the cover off slide on the Fig* then connect either a simple sun screen or the full tent awning to that.

HTH

Simple sun screen.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I was scratching my head over exactly this, just the other day. Really nice to see/hear some details of how others have done it.
I'm sorry if none of the following actually answers your question but maybe it helps...

My set up is this at the moment - it's worked really well so far, both as a sunshade and a rain cover.

I'm sorry I don't have any close ups to hand at the moment, can take some more shots when I've got it out next.
Basically, it's a DIY set up, loosely based on this excellent build.

In a nutshell, the "base" tube that holds my "tarp sausage" to the vehicle is bolted to a couple of custom brackets that I welded to the feet
attachments for the roof bars (I'm sure there would be more elegant solutions than welding but why crack a nut with a nutcracker when you
have a sledgehammer to hand?  Rolling Eyes ).
In turn, the roof bar "feet" clamp to the vehicle gutter.

The reason I went with the above set up is that I wanted something that I could essentially leave in place more or less permanently (like a
traditional awning stylee) and not have to keep a tarp and poles inside the vehicle. Plus making random stuff makes me happy.

The downside is that there is somewhat of a gap between the side of the vehicle and where the base of the tarp attaches (just because it's
fitted to the base of the roof bars and not the gutter/awning rail!).
I haven't yet thought of a good solution for this, but I suppose it would be possible to fit short lengths of the figure-of-eight strips between the
roof bar feet, and connect a short strip of tarp (or similar) between those and the awing base. This would be fiddly though.
Alternatively, making a better (possibly heavier) tarp cover. At the moment I just use a big rectangular (loose) piece of heavy duty cordura
canvas that wraps around the rolled up tarp and poles with some luggage straps. That material can be used to sort of "plug" the aforementioned
gap when the awning is set up, but it's not very neat and tends to slip off. It also is more of a pain than I'd like to re-roll and strap it around the
awning.
With some more thought, I'm pretty sure I should be able to think of something that permanently attaches to the awning, AND provides cover for
that hole. Now to find time to actually think about it...  Wink  

As I said, I'll try to take some close up shots some time soon.
dtnefish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Glad to hear I'm not alone. First I need to get some roofbars. Yours look good- what are they? In particular I want to avoid wind noise as much as possible. Do you find this a problem? I guess profiled bars might be good but Can't find any to fit Delica.

When (if) I crack this, I will let everyone know!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a matching set of rooflight bars and then used some square, slotted, aluminium bars, from a vertical display stand, to join them together. That was so it could support a 100W solar panel.

Unfortunately the company selling the rooflight bars no longer does them, but you may find another that does something similar.

NB: I noted on the Delica Facebook page that Andyman has a long roofrack for sale, that will fit a highroof Deli.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, sorry I can't post pics on here. It is all steel tube, 2.1M (7Ft) long, and basically flat (no high sides, but has roping hooks. You can just about hear wind noise at 60mph with the radio off, but nothing tiring or annoying. Can bring to AO if you are going.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post revival.

I'm in a similar situation now where I want to buy and awning. I have a nice little sunroof on my exceed low roof. From most of what I've seen, all the awnings come with ‘Lk shaped brackets to bolt to a cage on roof racks.

Will a six inch drop roof rail bracket do it for a low roof L300, and then I'm thinking to buy a standard cheapish roof bar set up. Drill through the bars and bend the ‘L’ bracket one way or another and then attach the awning. Nice pics on this thread but couldn't really see how they attach.

Anyone else got an awning I can buy, not roof basket?...
andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because my drive-away side awning/tent with fibre-glass poles  is like wrestling with a giant, drunken daddy long-legs unless it's flat-calm, I have bought a second hand  steel tube bed frame for £20, with 3" deep side rails as a roof-rack.

I have fabricated clamps to hold these onto my cheapo roof bars, , then fitted 100mm long eye-bolts, drilled through from top to bottom (eyes at the top to make sure my tarpaulin clears the ends of the bars.)

These are spaced to match the spacing of the eyes in my custom-sized , heavy duty tarp, (£58, 2M x 4.5M) . The tarp connects to the eye-bolts with dog-lead  spring clip carabinas.

I already have extending porch poles and guy ropes so I'm set to go. The tarp size allows me 4.5m full open sided, or I can make it 2M x2M with a wall extending to the ground, sloping, or other variations.

I could fit more eye-bolts to the back of the bed/ rack and fit the tarp to cover my tailgate kitchen., while using the drive-away on the side. I'll put pics up on FB if/when the weather is more predictably dry.

Next thing I need is a cheap ladder!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: