4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

4WD light not working and abs light on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtnefish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 21:26    Post subject: 4WD light not working and abs light on Reply with quote

I have only had my Delica Space Gear chamonix (2004) for a month. I recently did a couple of minor jobs, both of which went well but one or both of them has left a strange legacy. The 4WD light does not work at all now, although 4WD seems to engage okay, and also the ABS light is on.  The two  (completely unrelated) jobs I did were fitting a DAB extender to radio and changing front O/S wheel which had a leaking valve base. I guess its possible I might have disturbed a wire somewhere behind radio but have checked and can't see anything. When I took the wheel off I turned the hub a bit so perhaps something got out of sync there?  Everything appears normal otherwise. 4WD lever works as before and I assume is engaging although haven't actually tried offroad.  

I have booked in to local garage (also mitsu dealer) next week but suspect this is something very simple that I can probably correct myself. Does this sound like either of the two jobs I did are the cause, or is it just coincidence that the fault occured immediately after them?

I love this vehicle already and am very gratified to discover such an enthusiastic and apparently knowledgable owners club. I look forward to more conversations
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 21:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds unusual, but did you catch the abs sensor while turning the hub? Check it is correctly in place and that connections are good, clean and dry. Was the ignition on while you turned the hub? The ecu would record this as a skid, but even if the light stayed on afterwards, I would expect it to reset the next time you switched the ignition off. Play in a wheel bearing can put the ABS ring out of gap tolerance to the sensor, which will put the light on, as  may muck or rust on the abs ring, or a cracked ring.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4WD light issue can raise its head when the system is not used for a period.  Usually the simple act of reversing for a few dozen yards can solve the issue.

If not then it could be down to a damaged wire to one of the gearbox switches, or a faulty switch itself.

For a bit more info see this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18735

Then read this posts:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20715

ABS:

At the back of the brake disc there is an ABS speed sensor poking through the hub, which registers a magnetic pulse from a reluctor ring. If this sensor probe, which is plastic, has been damaged then the system will fail to read a pulse, register on the ECU as a faulty system and the brakes will revert to their default state (Normal braking system). Until you get the ABS sorted take more care braking, allowing for a longer stopping distance.

See the bottom of this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36472  for a short diagnostic chart, from the workshop manual, relating to ABS and 4WD.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 WD light, have you checked the bulb/s  Question

Mr D
dtnefish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for all those useful replies, especially Lewis with the second post showing wiring diagram for transmission switches. You seem to be a very talented guy Lewis, and certainly put a lot of work into this club. Unfortunately though, none of this has borne fruit for me yet, although the wiring diagram may well be useful eventually. I am now at my wits end, and ready to offer a free weekend in our Grassington flat to anyone who can come up with the answer!  At this point I tried to enter a link, but its not allowed. Just look up  Dales Holiday Cottages, ref DC 4897 to see what you might win! Not such a silly idea as it would also give me an opportunity to talk Delica to someone who really speaks the language!  So here's the latest update

When I did my last post, the weather was reasonably good so I failed to notice that the heater unit is not working at all. The list of electrical faults is therefore

1. Transmission lights not working
2. ABS warning light on.
3. Heater and fan unit completely dead
4. Cigarette lighter not working (whatever the position of that cunning little switch!)  The cig lighter at back does work though.

It seems almost certain that these faults are something to do with my installation of the DAB unit. I have tried disconnecting this, to no avail and have also checked all fuses several times. and all intact. I have stared for ages at the wiring and can see no obvious stray wires that I may have dislodged. I have even taken it round to our local garage, which is actually a branch of the main mitsubishi dealer in Skipton (Midgleys) and they can see no faults in any of the ABS or transmission switches, all of which have correct voltages.

I have now booked in for full diagnostics at Midgleys on Sept 23, but we have a long trip to Pembroke before then. Although none of these faults are vital, it would be great to solve the problem before then.

Although it will be meaningless to me, a wiring diagram might be useful, but I have also drawn a blank there! Even the plan of fuse box for L400 that I downloaded bears no resemblance to what is on my vehicle, although since all are intact it is probably irrelevant anyway. I have tried to put pics up but so far without success.

So if anyone can help, theres a free weekend in the Dales for you! Fingers crossed!
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power socket/s have a problem, whereby the Fusible link blows.

It is situated at the back of the socket. The link looks like a bit of thick bare wire.

Once one has removed the Radio surround panel, it is quite easy to circumvent the fusible link.
Had to do this recently, on my rear panel Power Socket. It blew after plugging in an electric tyre pump  Shocked

HTH

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full diagnosis will most likely not be done, as Mitsubishi, in Japan, will not release the Delica Diagnosis software to the Mitsu UK dealers, due to them being grey imports.
I had mine booked into a well known Mitsu dealer, who charged me £75 for doing it, with a note on the invoice saying they couldn't do it, so a mechanic took it for a drive to do a manual test, during which no fault was noted.

NB: afterwards the mechanic did come to me and say he wanted to know where he could buy one from, as it was better than his works L200.  Laughing

As Derek (AKA: Deker) says the ciggy sockets have a small fuse built into the back of them which blow requiring the unit to be replaced. which is nothing more than a way to increase sales to Mitsubihsi

A simple application of solder, as a bridge, works, with the main fusebox fuse protecting the system.

As for a circuit diagram, that's easy.  Very Happy

Club member TerraMonkey uploaded the complete set of Mitsu's workshop manuals, Which include circuit diagrams, plus some other stuff to his Google Drive.
You can access and download them via this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38831

HTH

Grassington - Hmmmmm... That's about 35 miles away........

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
dtnefish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for the prompt replies. I am a bit dismayed by the news that diagnosis won't work, so looks like you guys are my only hope! I keep telling myself that this must be a simple problem with a simple solution. Its just a question of finding what it is! I will repeat my offer of the flat - not just as a 'bribe'  but also because I would genuinely like to meet you guys. I was intrigued by the quote at the bottom of your posts Lewis, so looked it up and discovered Ralph Waldfo Emerson. He's another guy I would like to meet!

So here's the latest developments;

The cig lighter back fuse is indeed blown. How did that happen? All I used it for was to plug in the DAB unit when I first got it. When I later found it wasn't working I installed another cig socket in the tray on top of dash, and connected that into radio supply. Its ideal up there and gives a better view of DAB stations. That (and radio) work okay

So the biggest mystery is the heater unit. I feel that if I can get that going, there's a good chance it will also cure ABS and transmission lights. So where does heater unit power come from? The engine compartment fuse box diag in Terramonkeys downloads (very useful link!) doesn't show anything that could be interpreted as heater controls. That leaves the dashboard relays and all those are intact as are the engine fuses. I couldn't find a layout diag for under dash fusebox in terramonkey - just a diag labelled 'Delica L400 1994 under dash relays (drawn by John)', but this doesn't look like anything I can see. Is it behind speedo unit?  I did also get a diag from 'autogenius', but again it looks nothing like my fusebox! This probably doesn't matter as all fuses are intact, and I even tested the two relays on it and both clicked happily on application of 12v.

So could it be another relay somewhere? Its confusing that the under dash fusebox diag I have (from autogenius) looks nothing like mine) so could I have a different model? Mine is 2004 Delica Space Gear chamonix. Model no GH-PD6W NSEHE (from engine compartment label) . At this point I would love to show a pic of the download compared to what I see, but I can't figure out how to do it.  The diagram does show 10a fuse no 2 labelled heater relay, but of course thats just a fuse and it's intact anyway. However,  it implies that there is a heater relay somewhere, but where?  

I would really like to get this sorted before we set off down to pembroke. There's another holiday cottage there! Just google welsh-cottages.co.uk property 629

Any help would be really appreciated and I repeat my offer of free weekend in Grassington.  Both of you are relatively close so if that doesn't work I might ask if I can come your way in exchange for a pint or two! You both seem so knowledgable - are you (or have you been) both in motor trade? I was a fishfarmer (salmon smolts) so am a genuine jack of all trades and master of none!

Please don't hesitate to ring any time if you think it would help. I'm on 07764463344.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtnefish wrote:
I was intrigued by the quote at the bottom of your posts Lewis, so looked it up and discovered Ralph Waldfo Emerson. He's another guy I would like to meet!

I wouldn't, he's been dead since 1882 and I fancy sticking around a bit longer.  Laughing

As for the heater and ABS issues take a look at this post and then check the relevant fuses:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50650

HTH

ルイス
dtnefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS FIXED!  My friend Chris at the local garage has been getting as obsessed as me about this. I sent him all your info and he asked if he could have another look. It turns out that there are little relays underneath the internal fuse and it was the one on fuse 2 (just above no 3 marijuana!). Whether it was faulty, or just bad connection we don't know, but a bit of wriggling and everything works perfectly. If it packs up again, I might need a new fuse box. Where would I get one of them?

I took a couple of beers round for the lads to celebrate with, and after all your help I would do the same with any of you who turns up here for a Delica chat. Just ring 07764463344.

Lewis - what make are your your roof bars? Do you get much wind noise? If the answer is no, I think I might get the same make.  

On the subject of wind noise, there does seem to be a lot of that coming from around drivers wing mirror, but not so bad on passenger side.  The mirror design strikes me as asking for trouble with that big hole that the wind goes through. Do you guys get the same thing?  

Thanks again for all the help. I will now sign up as life member!
dtnefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 16:41    Post subject: lifetime membership Reply with quote

I was so pleased with all the help I got from various members that I just tried to pay for lifetime membership (through shop) but got a message saying that payment method no longer available. Does lifetime membership still exist?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof bars I have are actually a pair of Roof Lightbars fixed together with two lengths of Aluminium from a display stand. What looks like a base is a 100W solar panel with a marine ply cover.

There is an issue with the club shop payment system. I will pass your login to Simon, who deals with the lifetime memberships.

ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bars are Thule, had them years, no yowling.  I guess they might if the ends came off.

I've been following this thread with interest as my 4WD lights have disappeared also, along with switch for side step, amongst other stuff

Glad you got your stuff sorted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: