4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Weird transmission lock up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:57    Post subject: Weird transmission lock up Reply with quote

Hi guys. My Delica (2002 Petrol/LPG V6 auto) has been standing most of the lockdown, only a couple of hundred miles in the last four months. I took it for a short drive this morning, first problem was a loud 'ticking'/clicking when reversing, loud enough for passers by to turn and look. Seemed to be coming from the rear axle or diff. This cleared up after cycling the gearbox a couple of times and reversing very gently. Being a dummy I pushed my luck and switched the super select from its usual 4WD setting to 2WD. The vehicle moved a little before getting locked solid as though the brakes were on full. I though I was going to be stuck at the local shopping park - quite embarrassing! I messed about cycling the super select and gearbox repeatedly and finally got it to move when it was back to 4WD position.

I know it's good practice to regularly cycle the super select settings to keep them all working freely but this hasn't been done because I'm never in a position where I can risk issues like the lock up I had today. I just leave in 4WD, can't think of a good reason not to. Only the front wheels show as illuminated on the dash display, occasionally they'll flash (front or rear). Surely it's not possible that it's running as front wheel drive only due to rear drive shaft seizure??

Any advice appreciated. I reckon some sort of overhaul is needed as a precaution. Having a lockup at speed is not something I want to contemplate...

Thanks and regards
RobH
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too leave mine permanently in 4H.

If the rear prop shaft is still attached then it will be running in 4WD. the only two things that would prevent that is either both half shafts have snapped (Very unlikely) or the teeth have been ripped of the rear diff.

It's easy to check. Just jack it up with all four wheels off the gound and run it in 4WD; then you will definitely know which wheels are turning.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis. Any ideas on the 'lock up' and the awful clicking noise in reverse? (a bit like when we put cardboard flaps in our bike spokes as kids). I've not been able to replicate either problem since but frankly I'm doing my best to avoid them.
Cheers
H
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check U.J's. - All 4 of 'em.

Mr D
mark3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobH wrote:
Thanks Lewis. Any ideas on the 'lock up' and the awful clicking noise in reverse? (a bit like when we put cardboard flaps in our bike spokes as kids). I've not been able to replicate either problem since but frankly I'm doing my best to avoid them.
Cheers
H

The lock up/transmission wind up will be because the front diff actuator is not moving, through lack of use most likely  Very Happy

When in 2H the centre diff is locked and front diff isn't engaged, when in 4H the centre did isn't locked but the front diff is engaged.

when going from 4H to 2H if the front diff don't disengage straight away and the resulting wind up puts pressure on it that further hampers is to disengage at all.... while stationary move from 2h to 4h and back again, the top 2 green lights will no doubt flash because the front diff won't be disengaging quickly enough,  when it does the lights will go out,  the more you do it the quicker it should get until its almost instant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more investigating and cycle the 2H/4H a few times when it doesn't matter if I block the driveway!

Serves me right for thinking an 18 year old vehicle would be happy to sit unused for four months Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: