4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Oil cooler next to radiator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skodarapid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 23:17    Post subject: Oil cooler next to radiator Reply with quote

My Delica (2.8 auto, 4x4, 1997) has a little auto gearbox oil leak on the longer of the hoses that goes to the bottom of the radiator up front.  I'm keeping an eye on it and checking the level all the time, but during this I have noticed there is an unused cooler to the left hand side of the main radiator, and one or two hoses going nowhere.  I also have the hard pipe rail sitting beneath the radiator connected to nothing, I believe.  So I think the only auto box oil cooling is via the two hoses running straight to the main radiator bottom and nothing else, is this adequate?
I can't quite understand how the oil lines should connect with the hard rail and the smaller cooler, as I look at mitsubishi.epc-data diagrams, and the Rusek manual is different again.  If anything, my current setup agrees with the diagram on page 23-38 of PWEE9410_23_AUTOMATIC_TRANSMISSION manual which I think is for a different engine model.

Thanks for any help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 23:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ATF Rad under the passenger side headlight, should be connected up to the passenger side of the hard lines passing along the bottom of the water radiator.

This photo shows how the drivers side should be connected to the hoses coming from the gearbox:-

These photos shows how the hoses from the passenger side of the should be conneted between the water and ATF radiators:-

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
skodarapid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for your great reply.
What's the point in the oil running though the main rad if there is a dedicated oil rad for it?
No doubt it was disconnected due to a leak so I'll have to test it somehow.
Do you think it will have been running a bit warm?  There hasn't been any warning lights.
Cheers.
skodarapid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally tackled this problem.  Removed the ATF cooler through the headlight aperture, tested with a pressure gauge up to 1bar immersed in water, seems fine.  It had no blockages and ran some clean ATF through it.

The following questions aren't especially important but if anybody knows....
1)  Is there any reason to disconnect a seemingly healthy oil cooler?
2)  Why does the ATF fluid pass through both the water rad and this dedicated cooler?

Cheers!
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that, without a thermostat in the ATF circuit, having one engine temperature cooler (in the main radiator), and one air temperature (small) radiator, it keeps the ATF in the best working temperature range, no matter how hard the vehicle is working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: