2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 4x4 rear differential - sourcing a reconditioned unit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davep10000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, that if the axle breather is blocked, this will cause quite high pressure in the hot diff, and force oil out in unusual places! Very common on old landrovers - people assume it's seals that fail, but its just overpressuring.
Dave.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 15:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the pics I can find of L300 platform/chassis cabs appear to have leaf rear springs, except one spurious reference to "L300 front coil springs". If your L300 has coil springs, the axle casing is going to have very different mountings to the common leaf spring type.
Prescotian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27    Post subject: Update on rear diff leakage Reply with quote

Update on the saga of leaking rear diff.  After using metal magic to patch the pin-hole which was revealed after much scraping away at rust - camper passed MOT without any problems. They also managed to drain the diff and refill. Took the camper out for 100 mile trip - once parked back at home no dripping visible, but there was a slight film of oil on the casing.
I have continued my search for replacements - including using old friend from Japan. No success as of yet - new parts no longer produced, and occasional search of ebay unsuccessful so far. Guess we shall keep on using the vehicle and try to remember to check the level in the rear diff after each trip.
Regarding the rear springs - my error. Leaf springs.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I believe the leaf springs on your camper may be the same as those on same age L200s, and like them, take the axle casing over them. Is your diff faulty, or just the casing? There are plenty of scrap L200s around, so if their casings measure up, you might find a good one cheap enough. Check bolt no. and diameter of diff. You might even be able to compare diff ratios on the VIN plate.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Chassis P25T is listed as a Delica Truck (commercial variant), without an ABS system.

Whereas the Delica Star Wagon's are P25W with leaf springs connected above the axle.

Your axle which shows two parts numbers MR162744 and MR162747, have a ten bolt diff housing and the leaf spring connected below the axle.

The L200 has 25 difference chassis variants, some of which have leaf springs connected below the axle.

The KA4T, KB4T and KB9T, all have leaf springs above the axle, so will not fit.

The K34T appears to be the same axle, part numbers MB598398 and MR124023

The K62T appears to be the same axle, part number MR241022

The K64T appears to be the same axle, part numbers MR241022 and MR296224.

The K74T, K75T appears to have the same axle, part numbers MR296225 & MR296226.

You will note the parts numbers have a flow and Best as I can work out you need to look at models made between 1996 and 2001.

You may also require a shim set, Part number MB185319, to ensure the correct gapping for the half-shafts, where they bolt to the axle.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Prescotian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 19:39    Post subject: Delica L300 - rear axle for collection Reply with quote

Last year I was posting about problems with a leak in rear differential casing.
I saw a replacement rear axle for sale on ebay from Mitzibits. I decided to take a chance - although the guy at Mitzibits advised me that it would not fit my vehicle after checking the details etc. I hoped local garage would be able to do any modifications necessary. (Part no. was MB393507)
Anyways - axle delivered and I presented it at local garage. Next day the mechanic advised me regratfully that he couldn;t make it fit, so I reclaimed it and it has been in our back garden ever since.
If anyone from the forum wants to come and collect it (we are in Coventry) they are welcome - free of charge.

REAR AXLE & 4.875 DIFF for MITSUBISHI
Delica L300 2.5 TD P25W P35W 1987-1999
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382828169731)

Above are all the details I have to hand - but if you phoned mitzibits with the item number I am sure they can advise.
The covid virus has reminded me about what is important in life - and there is no point in this rusting away in our back garden when somebody might be able to make use of it on their own vehicle. Hence this posting.
Please don't ask me any technical questions - a glance back to my previous posts will indicate that I am not competent in that department.
Best wishes to all of you folk who took the trouble to try and help me last year on this issue.
Prescotian
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the P25/35s "spring over" axle could not be converted to your flatbed's "spring under" arrangement. On the other hand, you may find owners of our more common vehicles beating a path to your door. Look at prices for L300 second hand spares before giving it away!
Did you check out the possibility of swapping in an early L200 rear axle, complete with springs? If the diff ratio isn't too different, it may work, although 4WD will be a no-no, unless it is also possible to fit the L200's front diff too.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Prescotian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 15:06    Post subject: L300 leaking rear diff - update @ 13.08.2020 Reply with quote

The saga continues. Coupe of weeks back we took the camper-van for a two-night break and I noticed the fuel guage moving from left to right to left as I drove along. Local garage that I have used for servicing etc. didn't want to know and directed me to VRS garage in Coventry. I was impressed the way the engineer there did not blame me for having a vehicle for which parts were difficult to obtain etc. but made necessary adjustments to one he obtained - and alerted me to a cracked cam-pulley which they replaced. Impressed I asked him if he would have a look at the leak from the rear-casing of the rear diff (as I had noticed more oil escaping despite my best efforts with metal magic). I also dropped off the axle I had purchased which - I learned from the forum - was for fitting below the springs whereas my camper's springs  fit above the axle. After some days he got back to me - the original rear-diff plate was past repair. He might be able to do something with the axle I had left with him - the 'replacement' - but he needed half-shafts and he couldn't source them anywhere.  I had the half-shafts in the back-garden. I had withdrawn them to ease the weight of transport (I am no longer young). I duly let the half-shafts with him. Some days later (today) he phoned. Confident he could fit the replacement axle with a bit of welding here and there - but he estimated it would be ten hours labour as an estimate. Their hourly rate is not cheap - but for me this has been such a huge relief.
If this had been a 'normal vehicle' - I would have given up. But as a dearly-loved camper-van I have kept on persevering and exploring avenues (much appreciation to you forum members).  I have mentioned the name of the auto-engineers in case any of you on the forum want to know more about what is involved in 'converting' the replacement axle to fit the camper.
I hope I am not tempting providence by posting this celebratory note before it is actually back on the road - but there is a definite sight of sunshine there now. Thanks once again for the helpful advice and comments from you folks on the forum.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre welcome, thats what we are here for.  Very Happy

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is something in the psyche of us owners of these quirky vehicles that we will innovate and adapt whatever parts or bits and pieces we can make fit and work to keep them going. A psychiatrist will one day do research into this syndrome, write a thesis on it, and name it "Delicosis". Well done Prescotian, and well done your Coventry engineer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: