4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Replacing KPH cluster with MPH cluster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavoid

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:35    Post subject: Replacing KPH cluster with MPH cluster Reply with quote

Morning,

I own a japanese import manual gearbox 1997 L300 with basic instrument cluster in KPH.  I got the opportunity to purchase a uk spec manual gearbox MPH cluster which includes a rev counter.  I am now looking at what is required to complete the upgrade.  

Although they appear to have similarly shaped connectors for the various feeds, there may be differences in the wiring and before I sit down with the wiring diagrams for a few hours, I wondered if anyone else has been through the process?  I also need to work out if the rev counter feed is already there or will need adding.

My searches have revealed posts showing how to remove the dash etc, but haven't located any posts discussing instrument cluster interchangability.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Gavoid.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is older(1993) but all I did was get a mechanical adapter that goes between the speedo cable and the gear box.
It is basically a mini gearbox with a 1.00 to 0.625  ratio. The speedo now reads MPH.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Gavoid. Is yours 4WD? I don't think I have seen a Delica 4WD without a rev counter. I would be surprised if there isn't a spare wire on the loom for it. Have you taken out the binnacle yet?
gavoid

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andyman,

Yes, it is a 4WD manual.  It's one of the JB470 camper vans imported from Japan.  I think they come out of the Mitsubishi factory as a fairly basic flat bed and go straight to Vantech to be converted.

I am hoping these clusters are plug and play and those clever folk in japan have used exactly the same wiring harnesses for the various different specs of van.  We will see!

Cheers,
davep10000

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same jb470 - although it is a 98/99 model (4WD manual).
Mine has the rev counter as standard, so there is a good chance your loom is okay.
Getting the binnacle off is very simple.
Good luck, and nice to know there are more of these 470s around.
Dave
gavoid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from another 470 owner and in Scotland too.  I managed to find a few more owners through my JB470 Facebook page!

I hope you are right about the wiring.  It will be great to have proper MPH speedo and a rev counter.

Cheers,
davep10000

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully your mph speedo will be calibrated for the gearbox / diffs - but I think they are all much the same on the L300's.
Mine is still in KPH, but I do have a digital GPS speedo on the dash which works well.
I think I have seen your facebook page - there are not many UK ones around. we love ours, and at the moment sometimes sleep out in it, in our garden / wood behind the house.

Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: