Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Front quarters - rust may cause the leaks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:33    Post subject: Front quarters - rust may cause the leaks! Reply with quote

So I decided to look at the wet footwells again. Last did them about 8 or 10 years ago.
Well I did one side of the front quarter seam as you can. See still in tip top condition.
However haven't touched the other side which has started leaking quite badly. Anyone spot why?
Just a little rusty....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aU1ZgYP4oBYMNRyZ6

So that's today's job.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh-er, scary! Sad  Is the actual A pillar compromised? (And why have you started speaking like Robert Peston?) Surprised
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!!!  Shocked
That's alarming... hope the rot hasn't gone too deep?
Funnily enough I've been spending lots of time hunting for tin worm, too. And finding lots, too... Have just finished (more or less) rebuilding my passenger side step and footwell - like you I'd done the other side a while ago.

Good luck!
andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my auto-dimming visor has arrived, and my teaching contract finishes tomorrow, so I really have no excuses left for not going out and attacking the rust on mine! I wonder which will be finished first, my van, or Covid-19?
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the front quarter.
New metal and loads of sealant. Then loads more sealant. Then two coats of stonechip paint to both front quarters. Maybe okay for another 30 years?
I also completely went over the footwell floors, rubbed down, auqasteel on any surface rust and also on the (ugly) plating that was done before then two more coats of stonechip paint.

Hosepipe test showed water runs around to end of the rubber door seal where it joins the plastic carpet grip trim. With that carpet trim off the water runs into the floor (and would then wick through the carpet). So another thing to check if you have a wet carpet near the door.
I'm going to re-fit that plastic trim with sealant as well as screws as another water barrier.

Pix here:-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mqJenmU4oeAiwELo7

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper job! Are you not tempted to fix it like a Land-Rover;ie just drill a hole in the lowest part of the floor, so any water that gets past the seals just runs out again? I have cut a rotten rectangle of carpet out of my o/s footwell, and replaced it with a removable piece. That way, I can just put it out to dry when the rain gets in, which it does, sometimes, just a little, depending how it's parked. Evil or Very Mad
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to just put in rubber flooring, but like the sound deading of carpet.

I'm definitely going to drill holes in the bottom of panel skins. When I popped this paint bubble water came out. That's not right!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uHBpvpfRqcg61bVf7

So more rust proofing for now - will have to do a bit more work on that sometime to make good.
So I think the water if running down inside the panel from the window seals (sliding windows) and pooling inside the panel somewhere. This may be because previous bodywork repairs have blocked drain holes.
Never bl00dy ending!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

It indeed never ends. I just realised I never actually spotted your fixes here. Nice work!

Interested in your point re. water coming in past that carpet grip trim. So do you reckon any water is just following the door seal and ending up on the floor pan?
Interestingly, when I said in the other thread that some areas of my previous repairs had started showing surface rust already, exactly there is a key area...
Given that my door seals are old, and especially on the drivers side, there is quite a lot of wind noise, I am wondering whether I have the same issue.

I should probably invest in some of that replacement seal you linked to a while ago - did you actually fully replace the door seal, so the replacement actually fits into the grooves in the door?
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
So do you reckon any water is just following the door seal and ending up on the floor pan?

It does exactly that.
I have replaced the door rubber seal that fits to the body (generic so easy to get), but not the rubbers attached to the door itself. This has made a huge difference to wind noise and leaks.
However, check the plastic trim that goes up over to wheel arch. Mine was cracked in a few places so took it off. Got child with hose pipe to test - and the water fell off the end of the rubber seal straight into the floor pan. When I replaced the plastic trim with a spare I got the water stayed on the outside. Once I refit the carpet I'm going to run a bead of sealant under the plastic trim for a continuous seal as it is only held with a few screws.

I need to next look at the rusty gutters...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: