4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

New owner needs help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Newbies questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfagunner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 14:41    Post subject: New owner needs help. Reply with quote

New owner of 1995 L400, I need some Chassis work done to get it through its mot.

Any suggestions or direct help much appreciated, near j23 of the M25.

Regards, Alf.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 14:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw where Alf lived, you were the first person that came to mind, Deker.
I've still not tried out my welder on mine - this remote teaching is surprisingly time consuming!
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. And others.

I had a look at that Delica in Borehamwood - It was bought and delivered, a long way from where we live somewhere North West-ish -
While looking at it, I worked out it had been used by the RNLI, even had RNLI on the number plate.
I'll give you one guess what that Delica had been used for  Question

The rust   Shocked   Far too much welding needed for me to tackle  Crying or Very sad

Never buy a car without looking at it first   Wink  

Now Take note :  Alf found a long wheelbase L400 in Birmingham, lots of goodies, quite expensive @ £3, 4xx
But Alf got in touch with seller, got a grand knocked off the asking price.

Later, he checked the previous MOT on DVLA, it had loads O welding done - -  in 3 days  Question  Question  Got an MOT.
MOT advisory stated something similar to "- heavily coated in underseal" - - - more  Shocked  Shocked s

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies I know nuffin..............
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt wrong with underseal, Deker, but as you will know, box sections on these rot mostly from the INSIDE, and need filling with oil/wax, then draining.
The current long dry spell is the perfect time to be doing this work, as box sections have had time dry out thoroughly, any existing rust is more absorbent, with less chance of trapping moisture. When you said the RNLI Delica originated in the N/W, I hope you don't mean Wigan area?
TrisUK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently looking for my first Delica, looking for an L400, mostly because I like the retro styling and features.

Saw the heavily undercoated one myself, glad I've come here and had a look about, this website is a trove of info and knowledge
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
1) Nowt wrong with underseal.

2) When you said the RNLI Delica originated in the N/W, I hope you don't mean Wigan area?

1) Don't agree, saw too many horrors covered with that stuff, when I was doing welding for MOT's.

2) I do not have the details of exact location, or seller.

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misunderstood who had done the undersealing  and welding, Deker, - I thought Alf.  I have re-read your post, and yes, I would rather not buy a vehicle thickly coated with underseal over welded repairs. But having checked bare metal welds, I would be happy to have it properly undersealed.
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy + others.

Went with Alf to Pershore today, to buy a 96 LWB L400, described as "all good"

Re painted in a (sparingly Sparkly) †Black. A few other niggles - some to be expected, including the O/D switch.
Prior to buying, he was told that FWD lights were flashing, and driver door window not operating correctly.

But, it had been freshly UNDERSEALED, so I checked very Caerphilly (in a Welsh accent †Wink )
AND found a small weak bit on the chassis (About 3")
probably covered with cardboard and the very thickly applied, dreaded UNDERSEAL.

Most folks would not have spotted it, Alf didn't.

Drove the car home (about 100 miles) drives very well, G/box smooth, BUT most underpowered, wouldn't go above 3,000 RPM.
I suspect/hope blocked fuel filter, or tank filter.

He paid 1,500 sobs, plus his Alfa Romeo, which he valued at £400. Does have a nasty cracked windscreen.
Damaged bonnet, some font plastics broken/missing.

Overall, I think he has a good deal. On a "forecourt" type of inspection, I could not see any previous signs of welding.
Considering that most LWB L400 Delica's go for around three grand.

Sunroof and Crystalite blinds all work, electric curtain tracks seem to work, although wrong type of curtains.

Mr D

andyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which has the damaged bonnet and windscreen, - the Alfa or the Deli? Re - lack of power,  Deker are you helping Alf to find & fix cause? Sounds like a lot of Deli for the money, with a few of the usual age-related (as opposed to abuse/lack of maintenance) issues. Depending on the Alfa, he may have got a bargain! There is a bloke near me does nothing but scrap or repair Alfas from mid '90s onwards He has about 30 in various states of repair at any one time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Newbies questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: