Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Anyone driving a late L400 with Active Field?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 13:35    Post subject: Anyone driving a late L400 with Active Field? Reply with quote

I have read a previous post on this topic which did not come up with an explanation from anyone actually owning the Active Field model (no offence intended to those who responded).
From pictures I have seen on Japanese Auction sites, the transfer box lever looks the same as for the old Delica, and so I would guess that the system is the same (it goes all electronic from 2007 with the D5). I am no wiser as to what the Active Field spec means. Can anyone who is driving one complete my education? Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 13:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm driving one mate, I haven't got a bloody clue as to what they are all about?? No one I have asked knows sod all about them either?!!?  Confused  Confused

Pete'.  Cool
davep10000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably just an upmarket name with a few extras, only appears on late 2004 models onwards.
This link shows all the variants, if you click on the model name it gives you the spec, and original price for each version.
Dave

https://auc.ts-export.com/m?name=catalog&mnf_id=4&mdl_id=477
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Active Field have traction control, thereby improving 4x4 capabilities further?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
ArthurArthur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Active Field features could be that you can lift about 2" up just on the bolts underneath.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the torsion bar adjusters? They all do that, even the old L300s. Smile
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that you shouldn't just wind the torsion bar up, for the sake of gaining height, as you also need to raise the rear end to level it off.

Note that winding the torsion bars up also results in the wheelbase becoming narrower, therefore greater height and narrower width = reduced stability.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you are going to adjust the torsion bars by 2" it may be wise to re-index the adjuster arms on the splined ends of the torsion bars.
Take the weight off the suspension while you adjust the height upwards, put the weight back on the wheels and drive it around a bit to make sure it has settled level.
Final adjustment is best done downwards, with the vehicle settled on its suspension.
Winding the adjuster arm round too far, rather than re-indexing, can end up splaying the forked end of the adjuster arm, especially with the weight on the suspension.
You should finally get your tracking and alignment checked at the new height.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andy that is incorrect, all that does in adjust the Torsion Bar, not reindex them. Re-indexing requires the removal of the splined end of the bar from the adjusting arm and resetting.

It's best to redo both sides so you know where to start off from, rather than trying to match one side to the other.

Use two spanners to slacken off the nuts. Use one to hold the top one whilst slackening off the locking nut, so it can be undone by hand, then start undoing the adjusting nut. a ratchet type one is best, unless you have a really long socket (you could weld two long reach sockets together to make one).

The rear part of the arm slides off so you can adjust it around, so it is just up far enough to let the arm and saddle sit on the nut, whilst that is just on the bottom of the threaded bar.
Then start to wind the nut up until th etop edge of the arm is horizontal, after which you fit on and tighten up the second locking nut.
Once you have done a test ride to check on the level and ride height you then know how many turns up to take the adjusting nut up so they are the same.

NB: Having the height up too much can result in the front end becoming unstable and bouncing about, especially when going over ramps and humps.

When you do the passenger side there is the additional problem of the adjuster being above the rear aircon unit stopping access, so you do it by undoing the Horseshoe bracket on the wishbone instead. You first take off the tension, at the adjuster, then remove the torsion bar by undoing the nuts where it connects to the wishbone, access is via the wheel arch and from underneath. The bar is then slid forward until the splines come loose in the adjuster, then it is moved round a few splines at a time until tight (re indexed) and then fully slid back in, after which the front end is connected back to the upper wishbone:-

Passenger side Torsion bar, front and rear ends.

HTH

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis, please read my first line again - it says what you are saying.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-indexing means to remove the arm, rotate it by a few splines, and push it back on again. The object of the exercise being to keep the arm approximately level in its new position so  that the adjuster bolt and saddle are acting at rightangles to the arm, not at a large angle.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Lewis, please read my first line again - it says what you are saying.

Correct I had mis-read the first and second lines.  That's what comes of being up for three days without any sleep.

I need a really long break.  12 weeks or so should do it.  Rolling Eyes

ルイス
ArthurArthur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, you`re so helpful, as always!
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis, don't compromise your immune system by wearing yourself out; now is not a good time for it! Shocked
boxerbloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the active field had an LSD ?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a possibility.

The active field edition is nothing extra special, it was a limited edition version, along with the Chamonix and Greenfield editions to bolster sales, at a slightly lower cost than if you bought an Exceed or Super Exceed and opted for the Optional Upgrades.  Effectively it just came with the standard 4WD and their Satnav system as standard, with added cosmetics and decals. But, as we all know, the built in Mitsu Satnav does not work outside Japan.

ルイス
Lurchermad 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought mine three years ago I was told it had a 2" factory lift
Gearbox identical to all Deli's
Mine is neither Greenfield nor Chamonix

It's pretty much the same inside as my old 2.8 TD Crystallite Roof Exceed with two swivelley captains seats for the second row passengers and hoik up rears.
Extra body kit (wheel arches), electric step under the side door, faux carbon fibre interior bits, white decal speedo, so as Lewis says, they were just using up the parts bin before introduction of the D5 in late 2006/early 2007.

The petrol V6 is definitely more economical than the diesel but not quite as torquey, so probably not quite as good off road (although I've found it's still very capable), but quite speedy on it.

I'll be honest I've loved it, it will be a shame to have to sell it (moving to France soon) and lots of people comment saying they like it.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bit of sales waffle from the seller to you there mate.

There was no 'factory' lifts, as that would have required Mitsubishi to pay for a whole new raft of safety tests, etc, which they would not do on a model ready for being phased out of production.

The 'Active Field' model did have the thicker 'Heavy Duty' torsion bars fitted as standard though.

ルイス
Lurchermad 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Another bit of sales waffle from the seller to you there mate.

There was no 'factory' lifts, as that would have required Mitsubishi to pay for a whole new raft of safety tests, etc, which they would not do on a model ready for being phased out of production.

The 'Active Field' model did have the thicker 'Heavy Duty' torsion bars fitted as standard though.

Thanks for that Lewis.
The factory lift is what I was told by Saxons Auto's Christchurch Dorset who imported it. Whether it's correct or not I have no idea.

I would have bought an older diesel but I had a lot of work in London.
Kept getting picked up on the Low Emissions Zone by DVLA who kept sending me letters in my old Turbo Diesel  ...... telling me the vehicle was a van ... I never replied.  
Now neither will pass the into the zone without charge since new ULEZ rules apply costing you £12.50 every time you enter.

As for Sales waffle, I have decided I'll be taking it to France..... So Not For Sale.
It'll be useful as ever transporting all the dogs and final bits & pieces over and won't come in wrong for the renovation project.
The first six months will be okay, but then it has to be registered in France.
No idea how I'll fare getting it registered as the whole process is so convoluted. It appears only one person MDOCUK member has managed it.
I'll let everyone know how I fare in a new thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: