2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 SWB sagging rear springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rw1946

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 21:03    Post subject: L400 SWB sagging rear springs Reply with quote

Hi Folks. I intend to replace my rear springs as the N/S is a bit lower than the O/S. Trouble is it will probably increase the overall height under a very low garage roof.
Is there anyone who has just replaced their springs who can tell me the new dimension of, centre of rear hub to underside of wheel arch and the make of springs? I can then compare my wheel arch height and see if it will hit my garage roof.  Thanks in advance.  Slowly getting there.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 21:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of which make of spring you fit, you will have at least three inches extra in height on an unloaded Deli..
Bare in mind that when/if you fit some 30x950x15R tyres in the future, as most do, you will also be gaining an inch or so in height from those.

There is some info and photos on this post, that may come in useful when you come to do it:-

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46083

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
rw1946

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 15:55    Post subject: L400 SWB rear springs Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Lewis. Will help a lot when I get to it. Don't understand about new springs being 3" longer than my current ones. At present my centre-of-hub to wheel arch measurements are 52cm on N/S and 53cm on O/S.  How does that compare to new springs dimensions? If that's about normal could someone have left a 1cm spacer out of the N/S at some time in the past (if there is such a thing)?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with springs being 3" longer, as they will probably be the same length, give or take a couple of Cm.  Your old springs will have slowly reduced in efficiency over that time.  The new springs will most likely have an extra coil to the old ones and not compress as much as the old 'tired' ones, more or less taking the Deli back up to, or slightly higher than when it came out of the factory.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked that both are seated correctly?

It has been mentioned here that some aftermarket springs don't until you give the vehicle a good thrashing off road or over speedbumps

I will measure mine tomorrow but I have 2" lift Andy j springs
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't fitted any yet.......  Rolling Eyes

ルイス
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I sort of realised that it could be implied that I had thought that, but have the same issue as one of mine hasn't seated.  

I did perhaps think that maybe they are already aftermarket springs fitted..?

Remember I get it wrong at least 3 times before I get it right! Smile
rw1946

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:12    Post subject: L400 SWB Facelift, ride heights. Reply with quote

Don't know how old the springs are but I have taken it down a few lanes. I noticed that the front measurements are also 1cm different. N/S is 50cm and O/S is 51cm. I also saw that the N/S torsion bar is wound all the way up. Another job to do. So both front heights are lower than the rears and both N/S heights are 1cm lower than the O/S.  The plot thickens.  If I have a week N/S torsion bar (or just wrongly fitted) would that be enough to lean the car over at the back as well?  Anyone had this problem before?
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have measured mine from.hub centre and have 575mm to wheel arch, and these are 2" lift springs if that's any help  Smile
rw1946

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.  What I am looking for is someone who has just changed their standard length springs and the new hub to wheel arch measurement that it gives them.  As Lewis is aware I have very little headroom in my garage so the new-springs ride height is important as I can't park outside. Hopefully someone will have done it recently and will have a bedded-in measurement.  Ever hopeful.  Thanks again.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no worries.  They are fairly new springs,  it will aid someone in a search sometime.

I'm surprised no-one has fitted any standard recently on here  but I suspect most people  here will be fitting lifted springs if they do replace there's.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I fitted a pair of AndyJ's spring to my Crystal Lite Roof Deli. Last year I fitted an identical pair to Pat's (Cunning Linguist) Low roof one.

Prior to fitting the back of Pat's was lower than mine. You can see the Result in the photo below (mine is on the right).

ルイス
rw1946

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Looks like I'll still need to find someone who has just fitted standard springs and what make of springs they used, along with their new ride height.
Still looking folks. Hope someone can help.
Overland Hobo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump on this thread.

I'm getting tougher springs to reduce sagging from the weight our camper can build adds. Was going for Bearmach Land Rover (BA2102). Some guys on the Fb page noted that we would need longer shocks, but after reading through this and what Lewis said, longer shocks may not be needed as the 'lift' is more like normal Delica height anyway.

Is this right or have I miss read? ideally i would like to avoid a shock upgrade as well, costs are mounting.

Cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

No You don't need longer shocks. The springs are the same length prior to fitting as the standard ones. they just resist compression better.

You can of course fit some of Mitsubishi's HD springs, that are fitted to LWB models:- Part number MR112829 - Spring suspension coil HD - Yellow - £81.06 (special order approx six weeks delivery)

Also with shocks you also need to take into account if or not you have the Electronic Controlled Suspension system (ECS) ones fitted. There is only one version of those, front and rear, they don't make longer ones and only the Mitsu branded ones work with the system.

Note the white one in my signature photo below. That is fitted with one of AndyL's spring sets and at the time the photo was taken I was parked up in the Pyrenees National Park, fully loaded with not just my camping setup, but also a load of extra stuff I was taking down to friends in Spain, and enough food and supplies for a six week trip. As you can see the back end is not showing the slightest bit of give. I also did a fair bit of offroad and at no time did it bottom out, despite one or two extra hard jolts when I hit ruts or enexpected holes in track.

This shows Andy's springs next to the old OEM old ones, when I swapped them over.  You may need to do a bit of jiggling, with a long prybar, to get them to snap onto the bottom fitting, on the trailing arm, but usually a hard bounce or two over a sleeping policeman will do that:-

HTH

ルイス
Tonytotster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Could you get me in touch with Andy, I want to discuss getting new springs.

Cheers
Tony
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent him a PM, to look at this post.

HTH

ルイス
Tonytotster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: