2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

cracked gearbox please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:59    Post subject: cracked gearbox please help Reply with quote

So today I set about getting to the bottom of my wheel lock light issue.
In the midst of solving the problem I lay my eyes upon an even bigger one... a cracked gearbox!
The crack is on the clutch housing section, on the right hand side (viewed from rear) close to the engine.

My questions are...
What are my options? is welding even viable?
Which other Mitsubishi's share the same gearbox? does the L400 2WD have the same clutch housing?
Can I drive her in this state?

Any help is extremely welcome!
Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06    Post subject: Re: cracked gearbox please help Reply with quote

Raffaele wrote:
. a cracked gearbox!
1) The crack is on the clutch housing section, on the right hand side (viewed from rear) close to the engine.

2) Can I drive her in this state?

Cheers
Gearbox or Bell housing  Question

1) Your car is a Manual  Question
Is the housing made of Aluminium, or Cast iron/Steel

2) I have seen a Bedford CF van driven with a cracked Bell housing - BUT, that was a Cast iron housing.
Which I welded "In situ"

Mr D
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Deker!

Yes, sorry, Its a manual.
I believe its the bell housing, its the section closest to the engine. that which houses the clutch.
As for alu or cast, I'm pretty certain its alu but i'll confirm later today.

Does anyone know if the L200 or pajero share the same parts as the L400??
When searching the EPC database, part number MR196102 (which is on PD5V, as PD5W is not listed), then opening the amayama website it states :
"this part may fit : Delica L200 L400 montero pajero"

If this is the case then Great! as there are a plethora of L200's and pajeros in portugal.
4WD L400 is a rarity in this country, as is the second hand market, basically NOTHING compared to the UK.

I'm off to mitsubishi to get more info.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

With yours having the 2.5L 4D56 motor, there may be differences in the gearbox to those fitted to the 2.8L Delicas over here, hence why they are listed as the same as the L200 and Pajero, many of which had the 2.5L.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS How big is the crack, - do you know what caused it? As long as it doesn't spread to the bulkhead between the bellhousing and the gearcasing, or otherwise lose integrity, there is no need to panic, and you should be able to fix it as and when you have the time and parts.
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andyman!
I will post a picture of it tomorrow.

well i spent an hour at mitsubishi this morning, well actually at Santogal which is a mitsi and renault center. great because i hit two nails with one blow.
the kangoo trekka is almost sorted and the info on the L400 was not as shocking as I was expecting.
well apart from the 23€ for the hub cap holder (springy thing).  Shocked but i can't seem to find them anywhere else close by.
they do sell the bell housing separate and with a decent discount it comes to 550€.
the guys from the parts shop were excellent, patient and helpful. they even gave me the number of a guy who used to work there that "knows his stuff" regarding 4WD mitsi's.
the info they browsed through came up showing that there are slight differences in between the L400, pajero and L200 gearbox/bell housings. they said the only way to really tell if it would work would be to try it in practice. I checked some prices on the breakers market and apart from only selling whole gearboxes the options are few and highly priced.

I'm thinking to just get it new and do the work myself. At least I'll get to know her intimately.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gearbox and bell housing are aluminium, so a decent Aluminium welder would be able to repair it.

There is also a company called Mitzy Bitz, in Rotherham, England (fairly close to  my location), who can supply and deliver a second hand unit:- https://www.mitzybitz.com/mitsubishi-Delica/space-gearl400-van

A few years back I was stuck with my L400 halfway up a Spanish mountain with a failed front crankshaft seal.  the Local Mitsu dealer failed twice to source me the correct part. Mitzy Bits were contacted and a week later I had the correct part delivered.

Ask for Neil (Who used to work for Mitsubishi as a Parts Dept Manager) and tell Him I suggest you contact him. He's a friend and I know he will help you.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:36; edited 1 time in total
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN´T POST PHOTOS  Rolling Eyes

Lewis, thank you yet again!
Yes welding, problem is finding a Good welder. Many people say they can weld but...sticking two pieces of metal together is one thing. Making the part as close to original as possible is another.
In this country when it comes to this area of work everyone will say they can do it. I trust none of them! and I don't know of anyone capable.
Truth is, I could probably find someone but they will probably charge me close to the price of a second hand unit. One joker today said he'd sell his roof bars for 800€

contacted Neil at Mitzy Bitz today and am awaiting response.

off topic..seems like you enjoy Spain quite a bit. Have you ever been to Portugal?
Personally I Love Spain, especially the north. I do however find that Portugal is a condensed version with a Lot to offer.
If you do ever consider, I'm around Lisbon, just give me a heads up. I'll be more than happy to repay your kindness.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to post some Shortly. You have enough 'meaningful posts to allow it, but still require a few more days for the activation to kick in.

I'm one of those who cannot weld to the quality required, despite having a gasless MIG welder, a Stickwelder/ TIG inverter, etc.  Very Happy

Yes I do like Spain, but not the Cities; My preference is for the open and wilder area's. I did get into Spain on a trip back in October 2014, but only a few hundred metres, so I could turn round and go back down the road, into Spain.  Laughing

It was at the border crossing at Maravo.  I have an interest in the Peninsular war history of the Infantry Regiment I served in, when much younger.  Rolling Eyes  I wanted to follow the route the regiment took from crossing the border there and working their way down to Valencia De Alcantara; then on through the rest of Spain and into France. :-

The first part of the route, from the border, was interesting as it was inside the Tajo International Parque Natural, so there were many wildlife photo opportunities. I was pleasantly surprised to find a 2000+ year old Roman built bridge across the Tajo River below the convent at Alcantara. There is a large dam there so there was a lot of water in the river:-

The bonus of course was the extensive mountain tracks and places to camp up in and enjoy the scenery

Unfortunately I've not been back to Spain for a couple of years and the static I used to base myself out of when there has been sold off.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: