4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 rear seats in L300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 20:17    Post subject: L400 rear seats in L300 Reply with quote

Hello all.

It's nearly spring so time for another interior tweak to the van now the kids have moved out into their own tents where I can't hear or smell them ;-)

So thinking about making more flexible space and I like the idea that Bruce did with the mud monkey and have fold up rear seats from an L400.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=148525#148525

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=129649#129649

So a couple of questions.
Who know owns the mud monkey? Is it still on the road?
On the off chance I can copy the brackets

Also do the rear L400 seats normally slide back and forward? L300 bench moves back and forward which is handy. I'd hope the L400 seats slide back and forth to make more boot space and for folding down into a makeshift bed with a few extra boards and cushions.

I really like that they fold to the side to make a van. Rock n roll beds and L300 benches don't.

Or s there another option?

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the rear seats (L400) do not have sliders.

They just fold up to the sides.

NOTE: There is a hoop in the floor, in which when the seat is down, there is catch that locks the seat to the floor.

HTH

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the L300s rear bench really versatile: I can fold it forward to carry long timbers etc, I can roll it it forward to have a far bigger boot (almost double the size, and I can throw a bike in the back), I can fold it down backwards, and slide it to meet the captains seats to make a double bed. I can even fold it flat backwards, like a bed, then roll it forwards to form a vertical partition up to the roof. However, it's currently out of the bus, ready for my next camping trip  to maximise internal space.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deker.

I did have a standard rear bench once and agree it is quite useful, andd could go back to it if I can find one. However I also like the idea of straight through van option too.

Current set up is great for seating 8 and sleep 4 but has its limitations for other use

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a proper refit, with luxury for 2!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you definitely want to keep the seats in the back?

I have removed mine entirely, and essentially built a camper interior with a pull-out bed on one side and a set of cabinets and work surface on the other (sliding door) side.
This means there is a permanent, full length area down the middle (as long as the bed/drawers aren't pulled out), which fits all kinds of "long" stuff with ease.

I've been quite happy with this set up, and I've rarely missed having seats, but then I don't have any pesky children-type things (or friends Crying or Very sad  Wink ) to transport.
I can see how this set up wouldn't suit everyone, but it's been really really nice as a camper for two - a 2-week road trip to the NL and France last summer went without a single hitch,
and that's without luxuries like running (tanked) water or fixed waste water tanks. I really like how it's really quite easy and quick to go from a set up with "transporting length" to
quite a big double bed. When not in use as a camper, when I take all the furnishing out, I'm happy to throw all kinds of crap in there - like cuttings from two conifer we cut down last summer!
I've realised I've never put photos of this setup on here; I keep meaning to, so I'll try to sort this this weekend.

If you do want seats, as well as more easy bed options, would there be a possibility to keep two seats on the "sliding" door side, one in front of the other, and have a slide-out
bed on the other? It would probably restrict the width of the bed too much, mind. Plus you'd have to work out how to swap the rear bench for a single seat on only one side, which
would need creating some brackets.

I've seen quite a few "sleeping platform" style conversions, where the bed platform sits above storage boxes in the full length/width of the van. I wonder if it would be possible to do
something similar, but with keeping the seats underneath? I can't think of an obvious/easy way to keep/store the platform and fold it out...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 22:51    Post subject: Re: L400 rear seats in L300 Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:

I really like that they fold to the side to make a van. Rock n roll beds and L300 benches don't.

Very true, and this is exactly why I went for the sort of layout I have now (albeit I don't have any rear seats anymore!  Laughing  ).

I wonder how easy it would be to modify an existing "ro ro bed" into something that not only folds out, but also slides back and forth??
Surely just a matter of suitable sliders, and some way of locking it into different positions?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everything is possible... for a price...  Shocked
https://www.smart-beds.com/beds/smart-bed-evolution-rail/
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas :-)

This is my current set up. You can get 6 around the table and the full width bed makes for a better night's sleep for two of us. Used to have a 3/4 ro ro with kitchen down the side but then worked out what I spend more time doing in the van. Sleeping! And mostly cook outside or on a BBQ. If it's raining - pub!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FUtfHdJNppndCgYu7

I also had a middle bench, just the two seat pat, sideways in the back for a while which also sort of worked.

Reality tells me I need a 30ft motorhome with ensuite. But that won't fit in a Delica!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I really like that set up, love the pull out drawer for the "kitchen". Plus awning, that'd be quite useful.
Massive bed! Smile
Do you just keep a bunch of crates etc under the rear bench, for storage?
I can see how the space in the "boot" is relatively limited, mind.
Would you not be able to replicate the original L300 rear bench set up, and put the rear bench on sliders, so you can push it forward, making more room for the boot?
If you could then find some way of folding the rear bench flat as well, you would theoretically have quite a "long" space, at least above "seat" level.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:

Reality tells me I need a 30ft motorhome with ensuite. But that won't fit in a Delica!

... and it's unlikely to be able to go up interesting tracks, or get out of muddy fields.

... plus they have a serious lack of character Very Happy
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, how about replicating the classic ikea folding sofa bed, which sort of concertinas in/out as you pull the bottom section towards you (when standing in front of it).
That would essentially give you an entire flat surface for the rear section of the van - when you then remove the cushions you can just use it as a big loading area.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I think a full width rock n roll bed is probably the easiest, and as you say, remove the cushions for taking loads.
I've been keeping my eyes out for an original L300 rear bench frame as that could easily be converted into a ro ro but with the advantage of the hinges, sliders and folding mechanism as Andy said for flexiblity.

Bit annoyed that I got rid of my rear bench which sat in the shed for a few years as a workshop sofa ;-)

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear bench is in the shed - need to check that rats haven't eaten it since I put it there last year, - it WAS perfect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: