Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

starting problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illapulito

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 15:12    Post subject: starting problem Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is electrical or mechanicaL

I have two diesel delicas. one is off the road pending some welding work scheduled soon

the battery ran down, last time I jump started it from my other Delica, and it started and ran normally, as it always has done

the battery charged sufficiently such that it would restart on its own

it has been left standing and the battery has run down again

today I jump started it again, however, although it started it ran irregularly, in particular it did not respond to pressing the accelerator

when disconnecting the jump leads the engine stopped

now, reconnected, the starter turns over but the engine does not start

the only factor, as the car has not been driven, is the passage of time

the Delica has never failed to start and run previously

what is going on ?

I have no idea

let me know your thoughts and suggestions

(as I write the delicas are connected by heavy duty jump leads, hopefully charging the dead batteries (it is a twin winter pack set up)

another potential clue - when I first connected the heavy duty jump leads, with the live Delica ticking over, the dead Delica did not have enough juice to turn over immediately
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 15:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check batteries are capable of holding a charge. if they have been left too low in power for too long they may be stuffed.

Check glow plugs are still functioning okay and not taking too long to heat up.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
illapulito

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought

I ran the live Delica for a while with jump leads to the dead one

the dead one turns over the starter, but it does not fire

... clue = the dead Delica is on the drive, with a slight incline, nose up -- I am thinking it may be a fuel starvation issue - there is plenty in the tank

if so, and the fuel feed is gravity fed for example - would the fuel pump need to be driven by the battery or the engine to provide the fuel to the motor ?

I don't know if this is the problem. but if it is. what is the solution ?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel tank pickup pipe is at the back end, so only having it facing downhill would bring that option into play.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 22:03    Post subject: Re: starting problem Reply with quote

illapulito wrote:
I am not sure if this is electrical or mechanicaL
1) now, reconnected, the starter turns over but the engine does not start
1 A) the only factor, as the car has not been driven, is the passage of time

let me know your thoughts and suggestions

(as I write the delicas are connected by heavy duty jump leads, hopefully charging the dead batteries (it is a twin winter pack set up)
2) another potential clue - when I first connected the heavy duty jump leads, with the live Delica ticking over,
2 B) the dead Delica did not have enough juice to turn over immediately

1) The electrical system will need to "See" at least 9 volts for some items to work - Especially the Fuel Solenoid Valve.
1 A) How long is the passage of time  Question

2) Although "Jump leads" may be "Heavy duty"
the contact points of the clamps do not have enough Cross Sectional Area to carry enough Current.

2 B) It probably won't, "dead" batteries take quite a long time to charge, more so when being charged from a "donor" vehicle.

You should charge the slave batteries with a proper automatic battery charger. Approx. once a month.
There are "el cheapo" ones, and more expensive ones - - - You get what you pay for (with quality branded makes)
Note: Non automatic chargers, if left connected and ON for a long time, can damage batteries.

illapulito wrote:
just a thought, I ran the live Delica for a while with jump leads to the dead one

A) the dead one turns over the starter, but it does not fire
... clue = the dead Delica is on the drive, with a slight incline, nose up -- I am thinking it may be a fuel starvation issue - there is plenty in the tank

B) if so, and the fuel feed is gravity fed for example -
BB) would the fuel pump need to be driven by the battery or the engine to provide the fuel to the motor ?

A) As in 1) above.

B) The fuel is NOT gravity fed. If it were, the engine still needs to be rotated to "Prime" the injection pump.
TIP = Try pumping the primer on the fuel filter.

BB) The engine needs to be rotated to pump fuel from the tank. Same applies if Gravity fed.
The fuel pump is incorporated into the Injection Pump.

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you jumped the dead one, and it turned over, did it turn over at the normal rate for starting, or much slower? If it has been stood for a long while with a depleted battery, the lead plates in the battery get covered in sulphate scale (a bit like limescale) from the sulphuric acid. This falls off and collects at the bottom of the battery, connecting the plates weakly, but sufficiently to ensure the battery drains slowly. Furthermore, because the sulphuric acid is depleted as an electrolyte, it is no longer capable of enabling the battery to charge properly. Putting a high rate of charge from a healthy alternator and battery into a depleted battery, can cause damage to the plates too. Sometimes a battery can be rejuvenated by disconnecting it (or removing it from the vehicle), and charging it with a smart charger which only provides the rate of charge the battery can take, ie a variable trickle, which can increase as the battery recovers. This may take several days before you know if it has been a success. A known good battery may be the best way to go, if somewhat expensive. For my other cars, I have sometimes traded in a duff battery for a good one at my local scrapper for around £20. This is not usually possible for the L300, as the terminals are the wrong way around. I don't know if this is the same for the L400. Your current setup may not be able to put enough power through both the  starter motor and the glowplugs to get it to start. My L300 will start fine with 12.4V in the batteries: with 12.2V it will turn over slowly, but not fire up.
mark3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

illapulito wrote:
just a thought

I ran the live Delica for a while with jump leads to the dead one

the dead one turns over the starter, but it does not fire

if so, and the fuel feed is gravity fed for example - would the fuel pump need to be driven by the battery or the engine to provide the fuel to the motor ?

I don't know if this is the problem. but if it is. what is the solution ?

If the pump was gravity fed there would be broken down Delicas on hillsides all over the world lol

The pump seal guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: