Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

ATF Levels Not the usual problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernandoConejeros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51    Post subject: ATF Levels Not the usual problem Reply with quote

So, first of all, I tried to find an answer to my problem using the search engine but nothing similar popped up.

Long history short. I was up in alaska during this 2019-2020 winter and I flipped my Deli over onto its roof when going down an icy snowy hill. It all happened in slow mo so believe it or not the damage wasn't at all major. New headlights, transmission radiator and Bob's your uncle. To my luck I didn't get any scratches because of the snow. Only dents.
The only problem was replacing that tranny radiator. I ordered it from canada and replaced the radiator and the atf.
Now heres the problem. Eventhough I filled it up with a cold engine til the cold line and then I double checked that the fluid was up to the hot line with the engine running and everything seems to be alright the gearbox wouldn't engage after I chuck it on Drive. It would rev up a fair bit before getting in motion so I figured I'd add some more fluid  little by little until it finally engaged without hesitation. The thing is that the atf level is way passed the lines, whether in cold or hot. Which I don't really mind, I can live with it but I won't ever know if its enough ATF since I stopped pouring it as soon as the gears started engaging. Now every once in a while  my Deli feels a bit rough when shifting gears. It used to be very smooth, almost unnoticeable but now you can always feel it and sometimes its a bit rough.

Any ideas? Should I add more tranny fluid?
I know that you can damage the transmission box with too much fluid or too little.

Thanks everyone
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:58    Post subject: Re: ATF Levels Not the usual problem Reply with quote

When Engine is at normal operating temp the ATF want to be no higher than the line marked HOT on the dipstick.

When overfilled the ATF splashes around and a chemical reaction causes it to foam up, so the gears are not properly lubricated
This results in difficulty in engaging gear, overheating, gears slipping and leaking from seals.

NB:
FernandoConejeros wrote:
...... I was up in alaska during this 2019-2020 winter and I flipped my Deli over onto its roof when going down an icy snowy hill.

Deli Luge is definitely not a recommended winter sport.  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ATF did you use - I believe Dexron 3 grade is recommended, NOT the Dexron 2 as specified for the L300. Now it is generally working correctly, have you tried draining it a little at a time. As you inverted it, it may have taken extra fluid to bleed through all the galleries, but now bled, you may be able to remove some fluid without loss of function. As with engine oil, too much is likely to cause over-pressure on seals, and additional drag on rotating parts.
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on with this Fernando?  Is it running okay now? dontknow

Yellow Diamond Clubs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: