Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

where near Pontypridd for transmission service on L400?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing agents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 21:25    Post subject: where near Pontypridd for transmission service on L400? Reply with quote

Hi all,

there's been a rumbling noise from the rear of my van since I got it a couple of years ago. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I don't like to just ignore it.

My local garages are the usual 'it's an import, we can't touch it' brigade and anyway I'd rather be sure the person looking at it is familiar with the Delica.

In short, does anyone know where I can take my van to be checked out properly, in the Pontypridd area?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 21:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the rear Diff oil  Question

Could be propshaft UJ's.

2 ways to check - 1) Does the noise change when altering the throttle  Question  If it does, that often points to UJ's

2) You need to get under vehicle, hand brake ON, gear in Neutral.
Grasp the propshaft close to the rear UJ, see/feel if the prop moves up/down & left/right.

Do same test at front end of propshaft.

Also, using two hands, one either side of each UJ, try to twist the prop, see/feel if there is rotation in the UJ

Other reasons =  Not uncommon is noisy diff, (which my car has) . Axle bearings. Or diff bearings - is very rare.

If looking at a rear axle - Any garage that sez "Its an import" must have amateurs working in there.
'Cos bog standard car rear axles are "much of a muchness" all work the same way.

Mr D
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this info

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Mitsubishi-Pick-ups-and-Montero-1983-1995-Repair-Guide/DRIVELINE/Rear-Driveshaft-And-U-Joints/_/P-0900c15280054a46

I'll take a look next time i'm home (away for a week or two now)

When making the checks you describe, am I looking for excess play and if so how much is excessive?

Thanks
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, are the UJs themselves an off the shelf item to replace?
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jim. Milner Offroad should have some of the parts you may need. I fitted one of their rear prop-shaft UJ spiders on my L300 a few years back, and its still going strong. I think there's a 'how to' somewhere. There shouldn't be any play in the UJs themselves, but there will be a surprising amount of rotational play in the diff gears. My L300 has grease nipples on the UJs, and I give them a couple of pumps with the gun every year.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping this as my request was actually for mechanic recommendations in the Pontypridd area
robaurdu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to Dave at the new road garage in Treherbert. Decent bloke, doesn’t take the piss with his prices, and does a bloody good job. He is used to working on mine

01443 771336.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing agents All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: