Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Think my Delica days are over?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 15:16    Post subject: Think my Delica days are over? Reply with quote

Hi was coming back from the dog walk and the Delica made some noise from what I thought was a blow out on rear then felt like it was running out of fuel, any way got home lifted bonnet and rear of engine has oil sprayed about on top of exhaust and dripping down can't see where from but also smells like it is burning oil and a lot of oil on rear of exhaust manifold? Any help guys
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 15:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

CSMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about on the Delica, but I had something similar with a Nissan ZX. Turned out to be the oil pressure sensor, which was on the rear of the block seated in a plastic insert. Plastic gave out and let go of all the oil at the back of the engine bay.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about the Delica engine layout will be able to help soon.

Fingers crossed

Rich
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which engine do you have in it?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
delart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a 2.8 TD L400 4WD
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a pair of gloves on and when the engine has cooled down check over the back end of the rocker cover to see if the rear half moon has blown.

Also get underneath just behind the rear wheels and see if there is oil dripping down onto the rubber boot from the drain hole at the bottom of the Bell housing.

If possible get a light shining onto the front of the flywheel inspection cover and see if that is blasted with oil:-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as simple as rocker cover rear seal & gasket.

Oil pressure switch is on cylinder head. front Left side. Easy to see if leaking oil.

Rear of Inlet manifold, there is a pressure relief valve. Can give way, makes a"Hiissing or Blowing" sound.
Not uncommon for oil to be pumped from the Turbo, to Manifold, then it pumps out at rear of manifold.

If the relief valve is defective, will result in loss of power.

HTH

Mr D
delart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys can't see any more will have a proper look tomorrow, it is definitely around that area  oil sprayed onto pipes above rear of inlet manifold how easy is it to see flywheel inspection cover?
delart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my thinking is I need to get another 4WD and having a quick look I am leaning towards one of these Kia Sorento/Sportage Hyunday Santa fe Tuscan or Honda CRV don't think I care if it is petrol or diesel but don't want a cambelt or high tax any advice?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Pre 2003 2.8TD L400 Delica, which has a camchain instead of a belt.  Very Happy

ルイス
delart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have Lewis had one for fourteen or so years Confused  Shocked
delart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had a quick look can't see for definite but I am sure I can feel pressure from back of cam cover and there is load of crankcase  pressure lots of blowing when I take oil filler cap off and it is burning oil and top end rattle but doesn't seem to be down on power. Confused
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

delart wrote:
but I am sure I can feel pressure from back of cam cover

1) and there is load of crankcase  pressure lots of blowing when I take oil filler cap off and it is burning oil

2) and top end rattle but doesn't seem to be down on power. Confused

1) Every 2.8 I've looked at does blow a LOT from oil filler cap. The cam chain will throw oil out of the filler cap.
You sure the "burning oil" is not from oil on the exhaust  Question  You did not say from where the oil is burning.

2) Rattle may be Rockers, and/or rocker shaft. Or cam chain, tho slack/worn cam chain is known to have a "chuffing" sound.
Easy test for cam chain - Warm engine first, then switch off. Take off oil filler cap, grasp the chain, see/feel if chain lifts off the sprocket.

Mr D
delart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deker Very Happy 100% sure it is burning oil through the engine exhaust smells and smokes, but when you have oil getting on hot exhaust it is always hard to tell. Thinking of putting (making) a catch can as cheaply as possible just to see how much it helps.
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a "Catch can" from a 2 litre Pop Bottle.

If you want a picture, easiest by email - use a PM.

Mr D
delart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dek will pm you trouble with crankcase pressure it is hard to say how much is too much can you measure it most cars seem to have some, I have a 8k Skoda superb on drive at the moment might take the oil plug off that and see how much that puts out?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most crank-case pressure is due to blow-by, or valve leaks (and produces oil smoke - valves especially on start up). Might be worth having compression checked on all cylinders
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the turbo for movement, this could cause oil out of the exhaust

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: