2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Any of you guys N gals using Linux.
If so what version  Question

Bought a laptop last year, got Win 10 on it, me no like  Mad
MS also think how wonderful to IMPOSE updates.
When shutting down computer, message says "Install updates" NO option,
computer will not shut down without installing updates  Evil or Very Mad

Run XP Pro on me desktop, but MS & Google think its a good idea not to support a really good O.S.
And cause the O.S. to crash frequently.
I would like to "Shake them both - by the neck"

MS, probably Google too, are not environmentally friendly.
By way of forcing users having to scrap perfectly good computers,
because they won't support their previous O.S's. Which are not as old as our cars.

Most of us Delica owners have cars that are around 25 years old.
Yet the manufacturer still supports parts for our cars.

So, I keep thinking about Linux, but I am not a software person, therefore very shy to try it.

Your thoughts

Mr D
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

CSMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Ubuntu, completely free alternative to Microsoft yet still familiar enough that you won't struggle.
https://ubuntu.com/

You can copy to a large enough USB and even run directly from the stick if you just want to try it without removing Windows. A handy little hack if your PC is playing up [files not moving/drives not seen by Windows]

Rich
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich.
What size USB stick would you recommend  Question

I've also seen Linux Mint recommended for "New" users.

Does any Linux O.S. run MS Office 2003  Question Office 2003 has a facility that I use in the Drawing section,
it was dropped in later vers. I am probably the only person in the world that used that particular facility, hence dropped in later vers.

Just for readers info: My desktop PC is ONLY 16-17 years old. In that time replaced 1 HDD (2 years) And PSU Last month.
It is still fast, compared to me Laptop, with a SDD, and Win 10. Admittedly, the laptop does Boot faster.

Mr D
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a 4Gb empty USB as you will write an ISO file over it to run the installer

See a guide here-  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

HTH
enCrypt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:

Does any Linux O.S. run MS Office 2003  Question Office 2003 has a facility that I use in the Drawing section,
it was dropped in later vers. I am probably the only person in the world that used that particular facility, hence dropped in later vers.

No, Linux won't run MS Office but there are a number of free alternatives you can run on Linux (even on your Windows box if you decide against Linux)
Libre Office is probably one of the best and supports MS office file types...

Hope that helps.

Mark...
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.

Just another niggle with Win 10 -
MS supplied with Win 3xx,  a program/software titled Cardfile,
worked well with 95, 98 & XP. Although, it was not supplied with these O.Ss

Don't work in Win 10  Mad  MS Can't even make their own s/w work with their later O.Ss. With the same title "Windows"   Evil or Very Mad

Just for info: (For those of you that never used it) Cardfile was a great "little" program.
When I first saw it, I thought "Yeah, what use is that"  -  -  -  How wrong can one be  Question

A simple, very easy to use, yet effective Card filing program, stores names, addresses, telephone number/s. And a short space for persons info.

Mr D
enCrypt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem...

The Win3.x operating system (and programs written for it) was 16bit, later versions of Windows were 32bit, but could run 16 bit apps.
Windows 10 is now 64bit. It can run 32bit apps but not 16bit (I think its possible but its a ball-ache even to techies like me!)

Doing a quick Google came up with this...

Windows cardfile on WIndows 10

Sounds like there WAS a 32bit version that came with NT3.51 that works on Win 10 (you may need to run it in compatibility mode)

Someone has linked to a download in the second post down.

Mark...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

enCrypt wrote:
..... Windows 10 is now 64bit. It can run 32bit apps but not 16bit (I think its possible but its a ball-ache even to techies like me!)

No It doesn't. I've had to scrap and replace some expensive film and negative scanning equipment, as the software is written in 16bit and unable to be updated to either 32bit or 64bit, will not work in Win10.  Crying or Very sad

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
enCrypt wrote:
..... Windows 10 is now 64bit. It can run 32bit apps but not 16bit (I think its possible but its a ball-ache even to techies like me!)

No It doesn't.
As Mark sez Lewis ="but not 16bit "

Lewis wrote:
I've had to scrap and replace some expensive film and negative scanning equipment, as the software is written in 16bit and unable to be updated to either 32bit or 64bit, will not work in Win10.  Crying or Very sad

As I said above, in my first post
Deker wrote:
By way of forcing users having to scrap perfectly good computers

And ancillaries  Evil or Very Mad
I have the same problem as you Lewis, in my case, an expensive printer, and scanner.
Therefore I still need to run XP Pro.  Dunno if Linux xx will run those devices.

Rich. Thanks for suggesting Ubuntu, made me do a bit O research.
Seems that Mint may be a better option for my older PC, as Mint is less resource hungry.
Only 3 Gigs RAM and Pentium(R) D 3.40 Ghz.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Lewis wrote:
enCrypt wrote:

No It doesn't.

Deker perhaps you missed what was written in the brackets!

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jaspa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Deker wrote:
Lewis wrote:
enCrypt wrote:

No It doesn't.

Deker perhaps you missed what was written in the brackets!

But enCrypt is saying you might be able to, and you can on some 16bit applications if you use NTVDM (NT Virtual Dos Machine), I've had mixed results in the past but probably 70/30 in favour of working.

Stuart

Edit, I've just re-read the posts and I think I'm agreeing with you Smile
enCrypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually thinking about it more, it would be dead easy to spin up an old XP VM on Win 10 with VMware or VirtualBox or something.
This would let you run that 16 bit app but yes, doing it this way, technically you're not running it on Windows 10  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: