Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

New Sensor locations, Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 14:51    Post subject: New Sensor locations, Help Please Reply with quote

I'm trying to work out where to fit 3 new sensors, water temperature, boost pressure and oil pressure:

I think the boost sensor should go into this pipe:

I think the Oil pressure sensor should replace the stock one here:

I have no idea where the water temperature sensor should go.

Can anyone confirm if my guesses are right and also where to put the water temperature sensor?

If you've got photos that would be great because I don't know what most of the stuff in the engine is for/called Smile

Cheers
Andy

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 14:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the oil and boost,the water one might go in place of the existing Deli one,its situated where the top hose goes into the top of the engine.only other suggestion is to get a plumbing t piece and some hose tails to fit either end,and fit it on the heater matrix pipes behind the battery.

or measure the resistance of the probe,then measure the delis temp probe and if they match take it off the delis temp probe.

sorry Can't be more help!
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

theFleured wrote:
Thanks Lexis, doesn't that mean that the blue wire in your first picture is the water temp sensor?

Also do you know if I picked the right hose for the boost sensor, it occurred to me that the one I was looking at might be an oil feed and I wouldn't want to cut that. Smile

I've just fitted an aftermarket digital temp gauge as the o.e temp gauge is bobbins i just got a 36mm adaptor that fits in the top hose , simple  Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380221095916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

as for the boost gauge sensor you will need a tee piece so it feeds the sensor and also signals the boost pressure to the injector pump diaphram .
i would also use a tee piece for the oil pressure sender unit as well otherwise you will loose the oil pressure light  Wink .

rick.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'll also need to work out what the correct readings are for each of them Smile

Rick, am I on the right track with the hose for the boost sensor? (I've got a t piece for it)

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
lostdreamer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:
theFleured wrote:
the o.e temp gauge is bobbins.

It will be, they have been designed that way for some time now.

'Modern' gauges essentially have three positions. 'cold', then 'normal' where the needle will read in the middle of the gauge as long as the engine temperature is anywhere within the 'acceptable' range, and then 'hot' if it actually IS overheating. This is why the temperature can suddenly shoot up - one minute you look at the gauge and it's fine, the next it is in the red. The engine temperature has been slowly creeping up, but the gauge doesn't respond until it hits the 'hot' level.

You see, people were complaining that their cars didn't hold a constant temperature, and that the engine got hotter when towing a heavy trailer up a steep hill or in standing traffic or whatever. How dare their car overheat! For most of the car buying public, ignorance is bliss.
Diver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rick says, top hose for coolant temperature sender. There it gets the coolant straight out of the head so is the best spot for the earliest warning of a problem:

Diver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defo sensors. One at least must be for air-con (to shut the compressor off if the engine gets too hot).

Anyway safe to say that none of the stock sensors should be replaced in order to fit an aftermarket temp gauge as they all do at least one important job beyond just showing the temperature on the dash gauge. Highly recommend the 36mm adapter in the top hose route.
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I'm being honest here before taking the top hose adaptor route i looked at drilling and tapping the rear of the head as this is the point were the temperature tends to be higher but after giving it some thought i decided against it mainly due to access and the shortage of a good location for the sensor .

rick.
YOZA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always fit your temp sender  the ‘professional’ way like I have done, into the top hose, blob of TigerBond and an extra clip just in case. Embarassed

Rolling Eyes

It works though.  :D
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a picture of the two sensors whilst I had the inter cooler off, thought it might be helpful to someone:

theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no choice but to get a 36mm adaptor for the top hose as none of the adaptors for the sensor fit in the existing water temp gauge hole Smile

Diver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it wasn't losing the signal to the glowplug ECU or overdrive that put you off doing that than?   Laughing
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diver wrote:
So it wasn't losing the signal to the glowplug ECU or overdrive that put you off doing that than?   Laughing

I don't concern myself with such trivial matters :D

skodarapid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have piped in a 36mm adaptor to the top rad hose with a water temp sensor and the digital gauge inside is wired up to power, but I can't find any quick routes through to the engine bay for the sensor wire.  I did see a loom down near the driver's right foot going outward through a very tight rubber seal and forward inside the wing.  What did others here do?  Thanks for any help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: