4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Oil piling out of engine through burst oil filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobgell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 18:58    Post subject: Oil piling out of engine through burst oil filter Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have done a search trawl of the forum but can't find any definitive answer, so I thought I'd start another.

For quite a while, the driver's side of the engine has been covered in engine oil, having leaked from somewhere unseen.  I don't think it is the half moons on the rocker cover.

Anyway, we have lived with this, although oil consumption has been appalling as a result of the leakages.  Today however, 'er indoors rang me to say that the oil light had come on.  I thought it was just empty and told her to use the half can in the back to fill it up.  By the time she came home, the light was on again and when I looked, the whole engine bay on the driver's side was soaking in oil, which was running onto the road.  

On inspection closer, with the engine running again, I could see that oil was shooting out from the oil filter seal.  Thinking that the seal had just gone, I was going to put a new filter on, but realised then that the old filter had actually blown itself inside out at the top end, and the element inside was rattling about, loose.  This must be due to over pressuring in the feed system?

Am I right in saying that this is probably caused by the pressure relief valve sticking or otherwise failed?  Is this the one in the oil pump on the front of the block?  Is there anything else that could cause the oil filter to turn itself inside out like this?!
Cheers all,

Robin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 18:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the filter  Question

Might just be defective adhesive in the filter.

Change it, see what happens. Might have been blocked.

Over pressurising in many cars chews the pump drive shaft. Dunno about Delica tho.

HTH

Deker
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said! Change filter and see what happens.

At a guess if there was to much pressure it'd blow the dip stick out before doing damage to the filter.

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzr6mille wrote:
At a guess if there was to much pressure it'd blow the dip stick out before doing damage to the filter.

That would be caused by too much crankcase pressure. Not neccessarily too much oil pressure.

Deker
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry stupid of me  Rolling Eyes

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
bobgell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I suppose a blocked oil filter could be the issue!  Sometimes the simple things!  Certainly there is a pressure issue as the filter at the top flange is out of shape, having been "blown" out like a ballon, and this has resulted in the loose interior I think.  So yes, I guess simply a blocked filter could cause this if it is pumping in and can't get out again properly?  Having said that, the filter has to operate under full engine oil pressure conditions, so I'm still not totally convinced.

Thanks for the input.
sock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

could just be a faulty filter a few years back i did a service on my mom's hyundi 1.3 accent all okay for a week or so running about then my old man and i where going to pick up a motor he said we will take my mom's car (he didn't fancy fueling the dodge) i got on to the slip road of the m5 and booted it looked in the mirror as i joined the motorway and saw lots of smoke pouring out the back of the car so pulled over said to the oil man looks like the motor as blown! when we got it back to my house (AA) fired it up oil pouring out of the oil fillter seam spoke to chap at the shop he said he had never seen a filter go like that new filter back on all good also over the next 2 service's no problems, just to add if oil pressure was that high to blow the filter you would think the oil would have blown out of every seal and breather before it blew the filter

bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Sock.  I am pleased to say that the cam chain kit you sold me some years back is still performing as it should!  Thanks for the input.  I will be trying a new filter as soon as it stops peeing down with rain, as it does seem that this is a likely cause.

Cheers,

Robin
skiorsail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder what make it was ,
i suppose the lighter wt ones must be weaker than the oem ones , if the filter came apart internally i wonder if it could have blocked itself up ,but, even under normal conditions  50 psi over a 4inch diam filter is about 628 pounds of pressure on the end cover .
bobgell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, I guess this is why they are shaped as they are.  Still, the end of this one ended up inside out, i.e. convex rather than concave.

It was a Boshi filter as supplied by Milner.  I have now replaced it with a Blueprint one from my local factor.  It is notably more substantial, more like the Mahle ones I was previously using, and I am pleased to say that it is currently running fine.
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobgell wrote:
.  I have now replaced it with a Blueprint one from my local factor.    

How much you pay for Blueprint oil filter  Question

I was quoted around £30 from my local parts supplier  Sad

Deker
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:

Deker

Shocked

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mark3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
bobgell wrote:
.  I have now replaced it with a Blueprint one from my local factor.    

Deker

Blimey!  Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post.

Just a note to say I have had two filter blow in as many weeks.

They are ones from Milners. I have never had a problem with the service parts from Milners before.

Any idea what can cause them to blow?

my driveway looks like an oil tanker has gone to ground and sunk!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only know them to blow like that when there was a manufacturing fault.

I.E. The top end was not crimped in correctly. Unfortunately this normally results in a whole batch being stuffed, so you end up taking them back, only to get another with the same fault.

Cheap Chinese kit comes to mind, that is somewhat different to the ones they send as samples to a company buying them to sell on.   Evil or Very Mad

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PeterInYork

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a BluePrint one fitted now.

Think i will have to get these in future.

Lost confidence in the Boshi ones.
Del-Iddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had the same issue with a boshi one. I've just replaced it, with another boshi one as I got three at the same time from milners. We'll see how it goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: