Adrian Flux - 01553 845 945

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Air Compressors ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Common room ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 19:54    Post subject: Air Compressors ? Reply with quote

Hi after neglecting my Delica and finding more rust on it than I would like after not having it waxoyled for a while. Thinking I need a compressor and also needing to change a cambelt on one of the other cars long overdue so need to crack the crankshaft bolt etc was looking at this https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor
or this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-tiger-161010-3hp-100-litre-air-compres/
any advice thinking big is better
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 19:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Pierre
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought mine from Aldi.

Builds up pressure okay and runs my air tools - saw, disc cutter, die grinder, drill, impact drivers, bit noisey but otherwise so far, so good.

Why spend loads of dosh when bargains are about?

Check the pictures in the various ads, many are very, very similar and probably come from the same manufacturer anyway!

Delica Super Exceed LWB
Sunbeam Tiger 289
Benelli 750 SEI
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy a compressor, go have a listen, some of the direct drive type/s can be very noisy  Sad
Especially at 2,850 RPM  Exclamation

The link to the Machine Mart one, does not work on my PC.

I have an Ingersol Rand V twin. Which I use with a separate air receiver, good old fashioned British engineering.
Heavy iron construction - so quiet  Smile  Runs at a leisurely 750 RPM (Approx 14 CFM)  Will last a lifetime  Very Happy
Note = The one I have, has a 4" scavenger piston/cylinder. There is a smaller model, don't know the scavenger piston size.

See if you can find on the bay - or similar. Make sure to get single phase, unless you have a 3 phase supply.

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:04    Post subject: Re: Air Compressors ? Reply with quote

delart wrote:
Hi after neglecting my Delica and finding more rust on it than I would like after not having it waxoyled for a while. Thinking I need a compressor and also needing to change a cambelt on one of the other cars long overdue so need to crack the crankshaft bolt etc was looking at this https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor
or this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-tiger-161010-3hp-100-litre-air-compres/
any advice thinking big is better

They are both the same item, made in the same factory, with different badges on, and there are several firms selling them under different names. So go for the lowest price.

The cheapest of the alternate badged ones, by £2, is this:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/I.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=382192154017&_sacat=0

Here is a list of the Clarke range, with a link on each to download the manual, so you can check the specs against each other:- https://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/product_manuals/air_compressors.shtml

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
delart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one deker https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-tiger-161010-3hp-100-litre-air-compres/ didn't think the aldi one would power a rattle gun?
delart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell Lewis your good would never have noticed that  Very Happy what a Switzer that is! Mind you at that price probably a good buy ?
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note - That M. Mart do not sell cheap -. -. -. - They buy cheap, sell £££s dearer †Sad

Example = I bought a Quick lift Aluminium frame trolley jack from Costco £99.99p †Same jack from M.Mart £149.99p.

If you could look inside those compressors you are considering to buy. Try to find someone that has had one of these that has broken.
Look inside the cylinder and piston & con-rod assembly, I did - and was shocked.

The piston & con rod are one piece - No Small end pin and bush. The piston tilts inside the cylinder, as the con rod follows the crankshaft †Shocked
This type of compressor/s have a very short stroke, hence the need to run at high RPMs
Nearly 3,000 RPM is high for a piston compressor.

Except those designed for that heavy duty purpose, I do have one of that type, a French Horizontal opposed twin cylinder,
the cooling fins are massive, the outlet pipe from each cylinder is 3/4" (20 mm) Diameter.
I use this compressor on my Shot Blasting equipment. Driven by a Kubota 3 cylinder, 18 hp diesel engine.

Just looked on the bay, used Ingersoll Rand V twin compressors are there. Even a used one in good order will last you a life time.
The best ones have an Intercooler twixt the Scavenger piston (as mine has) and main compressor piston.

When I was an active mechanic this compressor I would swear by - Not atCool
The one I have is the Type 30. Was 3 phase, I easily converted it to run on single phase.

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Last edited by Deker on Tue Nov 19, 2019 20:20; edited 1 time in total
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an aldi compressor which has been good for years, touch wood.

Not that powerful though. However, if your intending, undoing the crankshaft bolt, I'd be more inclined to use a breaker bar and some sort of extension on that if needed.

The important bit is having something to hold the crankshaft pulley with. A few of us have made holders quite cheaply from welded angle and bolts,, or if I remember, bicycle front forks. ( Yoza..  Cool ),.

Especially when you have to torque it up again as I wouldn't trust just a windy gun to get the right torque.

I have a 240v Clarke impact gun for serious undoing, which is powerful and was fairly cheap and cheerful when I brought it.

Hope this helps  Smile
delart

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell a conrod and piston in one piece that would never have happened back in the day. Progress isn't all good. Did try and undo a crank bolt and couldn't but borrowed my mate's rattle gun and could not believe how easy it made it. Was just after the easy route buy a new compressor and crack on but that might not happen now. always a bit worried buying S/H as always short of time.
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compressor that Green Grouch sez he has - Looked it up on the net.

For 80 sobs, could be okay for you.

I had one of that type given to me, I was amazed, it kept up with a professional  spray gun  Cool
Tho, I did use an extra largish air receiver attached to it.

Mr D

delart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for help have ordered one from Aldi now don't know what it comes with if anything so will wait and see then start getting some tools, the Aldi metal sheers look good.
delart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well compressor was delivered yesterday came with nothing was expecting a bit of hose to be honest so now on the lookout for a hose etc Embarassed
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in LIDL's.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Common room ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: