Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

tin work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illapulito

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38    Post subject: tin work Reply with quote

disaster
failed MOT on rust / holes
first quote 18 hrs and £1400
(for some welding near the rear axle. the axle and diff have to come off for access)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this, is it the LWB? £65/hour+Vat sounds a bit steep to me, can you take it elsewhere for a competitive quote? This sounds like mechanic's rate (and quite a high one for an independent garage), but if it's the MoT station, they may not really want this amount/type of work, but that's their hourly rate, so they'll charge it. Hard to believe it can be too dangerous to drive away - my MoT garage have let me drive my car home to fix with so-called "dangerous" faults, (eg worn suspension joints and uneven braking) as long as it is in date. Hoping someone on here knows a good welder in your area.
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Hoping someone on here knows a good welder in your area.

Thanks Andy. yes it is the LWB one (that you know from the Lake District meet) waxoyled when i bought it. It is an MOT station but do have two welders in situ.
The rust and the holes are self-evident. my concern is that i don't want a repeat tin worm problem. if they are going do bits on both sides front and rear, i want to get the marginal stuff done and re-waxoyled
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad that the apparent residuals in our Delicas make these sort of sums seem excessive to spend on them. I met a man yesterday who had recently purchased a beautiful Jaguar XJ40. After only a couple of months, the auto box had needed rebuilding - cost £4,000. Verdict? The pleasure he obtains from his car makes it worth it, and he knew how good the rest of it is. I suspect, Steve, that despite the initial shock, if you think your garage will do a really good job and preserve your increasingly rare and appreciating asset, you may just bite the bullet, and get it done. How much is it worth as scrap, and what would you have to pay for something to replace it? (unless you just made-do with the SWB).
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again Andy
I have a second LWB, a royal exceed, which is as I bought it, good condition mechanically, potential rust issues known in advance
as for my original one
I have spent a lot on it over the years to keep it in good condition, eg new shocks and springs and has the disabled lift converion, so I need to keep it
yes, the MOT and quote was a surprise, disappointing
if it costs £1400 to keep it going then that is the cost of motoring. ownership
what I don't want is to throw good money after bad
I need to ggt another quote or quotes
it will get done - when ? where ?
TBA

anyone recommend a good welder near northampton ??????????????????
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

illapulito.

Just spoke to a friend who lives less than 20 miles from you,
he reckons there are loads O people near you, that do car welding at very competitive rates.

Deker
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

muchas gracias

can he give me some names please ?

pm or for public consumption as appropriate
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about asking him, Ralph does a lot of "High cost" work, of which a lot is for tv.

And teaches ex forces personnel, about motor vehicles, via a charity.
Mission Motorsport – The Forces Motorsport Charity

He probably would not deal with "Lesser"  Rolling Eyes   workshops.

If you watch motor conversion programs on tv, you may have seen him.

I did ask him, if he would do the work you need, but he is too busy, and it would not be viable for him.

Mr D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: