Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

General advice (buying)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartyCrow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 13:47    Post subject: General advice (buying) Reply with quote

Alright guys, if all goes to plan I should be picking up an L300 either today or over the next few days. What I wanted to ask is for some general advice on what to look for as far as expensive things/ issues. Also When i get it. What should I do first as far as preventative maintenance goes? Any help is really appreciated. Also, if anyone has a link to other posts that would be useful I'd appreciate it.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 13:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah!  Very Happy Enjoy!

Ask for it to be kept cold until you get there - so you can check the state of the glow plugs/cold starting properly.
The glow plug relays should click audibly at least twice before turning over - it should then start after only 2-3 cranks.
There shouldn't be too much hacking and puffing once started, and no big clouds of smoke
(a little is fine, and should clear quickly when warmed up). If there is a lot of shuddering immediately after starting, and more smoke,
you will likely need to address the glow plugs and/or relays. Can be done, but can be fiddly.

Engine wise, check the usual, i.e. not running too hot, no emulsion in oil, no big clouds of white smoke etc.
If it's an auto, def drive it around before committing to check if it goes through all the gears as intended.
Same with manual, mine is actually pretty smooth and the clutch is easy.
Probably best to try to get it up to motorway speeds for at least a short stretch.
Check temperature; it really shouldn't get up to anything much (mine hardly moves unless I hammer it up a hill).

Have a look at the roof - some rust badly around the sunroof/crystalites, etc. Any rust bubbles there will need sorting.
Check the footwells for rust (lift the carpet). Some have got bad through leaks down one of the front pillars.
You should be able to see a lot of the above from underneath, i.e. under and to the side of the "steps" below the front doors.
Underneath, also have a poke around the sills, mine turned out to be quite bad and needed work on both front and back on both sides.
Rear shocks and the state of the leaf springs should also be easily checked.

As for what to do when you get it - the usual I suppose:
Full service (oil, filters etc). Probably flush and replace coolant.
Unless you know for sure the timing belts, water pump and aux belts have been done recently, I would get that done straight away.
Brakes, shocks, etc as needed.

Have fun!  blob5
MartyCrow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks for the info I really appreciate your time! I did buy it so i'm not an owner of a L300 exceed! Thanks for the tips as what to check. I will try to get the timing done as soon as possible. These engines are known for it going bad i think?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations always great to have new L300 owners!

MartyCrow wrote:
These engines are known for it going bad I think?

Not especially I don't think.
If abused or not looked after, obviously they can struggle. Or if previous problems have been bodged and you don't know about it.
Both the suggestion of doing the belts as well as the one to make sure it doesn't overheat come under the heading of "looking after and not abusing", really...  Laughing  

Overheating can be a problem - if it does/has, there's a risk of damage to the head and/or head gasket. Hence my suggestion to make sure the cooling is working as it should.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje's advice is all good. The wet footwell problem happens to most of them, as the mastic sealing the welded front scuttle seams hardens and cracks. Search for "wet foot syndrome" or similar for a full fix. The cooling system has narrower than most cooling channels, in both the radiator, and the engine, which makes them more prone to furring up and so overheating, especially where regular maintenance of the correct coolant has been neglected, allowing rusty sludge to build up. You should use the old-style, 2 or 3 year life, green,silicate-based  coolant, which does not eat away solder like pink OAT long life stuff used in more modern, non-soldered radiators. The water pump impellor, being thin sheet steel, instead of cast or forged, can also rot away if it has run with a low coolant/water ratio - it should be 50/50. If you start to lose water DO NOT use any of the leak-stop additives - they clog the radiator and can cause disastrous overheating, - a cracked head not being uncommon.
It is worth removing the steel "bash plates" (undertrays) to inspect the various pipes, especially the steering pipes, which corrode where they are clamped to the lower chassis. An oil leak at the back of the engine usually comes from the half moon seal at the back of the valve cover, and while messy, is  not a big worry.  
These old vehicles have grease nipples on the suspension ball joints and the propshaft universal joints, so a grease gun, used yearly, is a must.
Don't hesitate to ask advice on here, we love these eccentric vehicles, and are pleased that people are still keeping them going. Preventive maintenance and quick intervention are definitely the way to go. Enjoy!
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the fun!

Some bedtime reading here:-
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45972

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartyCrow wrote:
I did buy it so I'm not an owner of a L300 exceed

Do I assume you are an L300 owner?

Welcome to the "Flying Brick" section of the club!!

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: