4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Hot Wheel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enCrypt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:15    Post subject: Hot Wheel? Reply with quote

Came back from a drive today and when letting the dog out of the side door I noticed something smelling hot.
I traced it to the passenger side wheel and it was roasting, couldn't keep my hand on it.
Comparing the brake discs on each side, the passenger side was a lot more shiny that the drivers side, so I guess I have a stuck on back brake?
Is that an easy thing to sort out?

(I have a big tin of brake cleaner...)

Thanks,
Mark...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this on quite a few calipers over the years.

Wheel and caliper off

It's a case of using a g clamp to wind the piston back in, and then pumping the brake carefully to get it moving again and repeat g clamp etc. Don't pump brake so much so you pop out the piston.!

If this works, it will buy you some time driving again, but when it's happened, I start planning a caliper rebuild to give it a proper clean and new seals will give some more life.

There's a good post somewhere here.? 😁
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - & others.

To service the caliper/s is quite easy.  Wheel off.

Slacken the the brake hose on the caliper, they can be tough, DON'T rush it, so take your time by gently and slowly applying pressure on your spanner.
Once the hose is free to rotate, lightly nip it up. Now unscrew the Bleed Nipple, and lightly nip it up.

Take the brake pads out. If they are stuck, then do this with caliper off.

Clamp the hose, with a suitable clamp and remove the caliper. Have an assistant to pump the brake pedal to push the piston/s out  
On each push of the pedal, release the clamp, once piston is out, unscrew the hose. Remove bleed nipple.

Wash caliper & piston in hot soapy water. Any tough muck, and light rust on the piston can be removed with a rotary wire wheel.
Remove rubber dust cover, then gently remove the rubber seal ring inside the caliper, be CAREFUL NOT to damage seal.

Also clean the seal. With a suitable tool, clean the groove there is usually muck and probably a bit of rust in the groove.
It is that debris that causes the piston/s to seize.

Everything clean and dry, reassemble seal, piston/s, dust cover, using rubber grease.

The Sliders, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum do NOT use COPPER based grease, Silicon grease is good.

When this job is done correctly, the piston/s will be easy to push in with thumb pressure.

HTH

Mr D
enCrypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both.

That is a bit too much for my lack of talent I'm afraid.
I have it booked in with my local garage for Thursday and I've asked them to take a look at my squeaky belt at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: