Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

MOT ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 19:43    Post subject: MOT ? Reply with quote

Hi well it is mot time again thought it was next year too busy with other things  Sad but having a look around have found it has rusted through at back of sills into rear wheel arch about an inch one side and two the other was hoping for another year out of it, so how serious do i weld it up and then take it or take it and see what else they find before spending any more? Been one hell of a truck had it for 12/15 years.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 19:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the only holey rust you've found, then smile and get it fixed. If you can't weld, cut out the rust until you've got solid steel to weld to, then take it to a man/woman who can. They all go here, - even my L300, which has passed it's MoT for the last two years with a piece of plastic damp proof course material 8" x 2" glued over the hole! Mainly to keep the water out of the sill.
delart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks andyman have done a lot of welding but not for ages bought a Cosmo gas/gasless mig ages ago which was useless jammed up all the while paid somebody to add a extra power supply haven't used it. Anybody had any success with a gasless mig?
delart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody had any success with a gasless mig then, what about the small bottles are they any good ?
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small bottles run out very quickly.  Sad

I outlaid around £70, possibly four years ago for a big argon, c02, bottle and £40 for the appropriate regulator.

Welds better than just c02, and just c02 welds a lot better than gasless anyway, so worth a thought.

I've welded tons of stuff and the bottle is still 3/4 full.  Smile
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 13:36    Post subject: Gasless MIG Reply with quote

I use the gasless wire in my Clarke MIG - got fed up buying the little bottles. Much messier welds but does the job. For the couple of vehicles a year I need to weld for MOT a few minutes extra to grind back / clean up isn't an issue. If I was welding more often I would definitely get some inert gas.

I've read that swapping the positive and negative can give cleaner welds without gas but I haven't got round to trying that. Also considered buying Lidls bargain basement MIG welder as mine is getting on now - it even comes with a small reel of welding wire.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.4Kg reels of flux cored wire, for the gasless ones, are quite cheap, at £6.45 each.

See:- .9mm flux cored wire

When running gasless welding wire – connect the Earth to +Pos and the torch to the -Neg terminal, (DC electrode negative, AKA:straight polarity).

When using gas you use the torch to +Pos and earth to -Neg.

I got a small bottle of Argon, for my Clarke gasless one, for doing stainless steel. I don't use it much but it's lasted me around four years so far and is about a third full.

I bought one of their stick welders, with a kit to convert it into a tig welder and that is much easier to use, especially as I'm not an experienced welder, but okay for repairing the odd bits that need sticking back together! Smile

But I've got quite good at plastic welding, after breaking the wheelarch retaining lugs off my Deli's front panel, which was a case of neccesity for learning, rather than shell out a few hundred for a new one. Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: