4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Windscreen washer motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Windscreen washer motor Reply with quote

Not one the Delica's more accessible parts, and I've been tinkering with my 1995 Super Exceed for 10 years now.....so, I have a bit of experience.
And the washer jets have decided to get blocked at an inconvenient time of year (as well as being an Mot failure)!

I want to clean out the washer bottle, if possible without having to remove it......unless someone can tell me a way to do this without needing to move my twin batteries, expansion bottle and fuel filter to access to any fiixings (which I cannot actually see).

Is there an internal mesh filter as part of the motor which collects any rubbish in the washer bottle?

It looks as though there may be a stopper on the under side of the motor, but it doesn't readily undo and I don't want to trash the unit by using excessive force.

How is the motor attached to the bottle? Does it detach with the right degree of persuasion and skill?

Advice from anyone who's actually done this job much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 20:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can access the water bottle by removing the nearside headlamp cluster.  There are two types of bottle. A small one and a large one. The large one is only fitted to a Deli with the headlamp washer option upgrade.

Both have the windscreen pump halfway down the outer side, at the bottom. The larger bottle has an additional pump at the front for the headlamp jets.  Both pumps are held in place by fitting into a rubber bung that then fits into the respective holes and a clamp to a moulded bracket on the bottle.

The bottle shown in these photos is the larger one, showing the stages of removal of the front pump. Both just pull out when the clamp is undone.  

The diagrams below those show the single and dual system setups.

As you can see in the photos the pump halfway along makes it difficult to clean out the front and rear halves fully without removing the bottle from the vehicle.  Access to do that is by removing the wheelarch liner.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:39; edited 1 time in total
JimmyG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, chief. I am only an occasional visitor to the site, and your helpful information is excellent.
The parts diagram is really handy, and does not appear to show any separate individual parts within the screen washer motor.
As well as sediment, the contents of the washer bottle seem to have gone a bit thick and Gel-like.

Have I read somewhere of a cleaning agent which purges this? Do you have any information to share? I know how to get the washer jets and tiny spring valves out for cleaning, but don't want to keep doing this. And, I don't want to knacker the screen wash motor.

Your photos concentrate on the larger headlamp washer motor. I have this, but have never tried to get it working.
And, I have accessed from the wheel arch, after removing the covers, so as to inspect the screen washer motor in position.
I am a bit nervous about removing the motor, as the bung has not been disturbed for over 20 years.
The screen wash motor has no securing bracket that I can see, and sits snugly in the moulded slot on the bottle, with little room to work at it. So, a reliable seal with the bung is quite important.

To remove the bottle would require access to the fixing bolt (shown on the diagram), which is hopefully reachable through the headlamp opening. I don't know until I look, and I can well imagine getting into difficulty with this, ending up removing those familiar things in the engine bay to get access to the wing, and the L-shaped tank filler which needs to seal securely to through the wing to the tank.

If anyone who has actually done this would be willing to contribute to the strand, it would be useful as a guide. Maybe you have, Lewis, and consider it a straightforward service job. As with much in the Delica engine bay, small hands and a bit of patience can be an advantage.

My LWB Super Exceed 1995 is showing its age (a bit like me)....but I'd like to keep it going as long as I can.
skiorsail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used bleach fill to get rid of any organic debris then just put garden hose into tank and left it to flush for 10 mins to get rid of bleach,and let water syphon out. now use only undiluted washer fluid to avoid the blockage problems , a lot of bugs can grow in washer bottles Inc legionella .
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too True, which is why you should always use an additive, as they contain a Biocide to kill organisms. personally I also add in a bit of Methylated spirit.  Wink

I also use common household bleach to wash the bottle out. You can get a product called Purina, from your local caravan shop, which is used to clean potable water tanks out.

This photo will give you an idea of what the pump and bung are like when removed.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
JimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good advice. For many years I kept my screen wash reservoir regularly topped up with 50/50 strength good quality additive (increasing to 2-1 when wintering in Eastern Europe, -20C quite normal).....and it was trouble free. Last summer, I carelessly let it run low (during a hot spell of Mediterranian weather, +40c) and topped up with a generous quantity of cheap washing up liquid (possibly the source of my problem)....be on your guard. I've been trying to purge the tank with the pump doing the work and inspecting what comes through....it seems to have a cloudy suspension which might be algae growth or a chemical reaction to the particular washing up liquid that I used (probably algae).

The photos being helpfully posted by Lewis look like the headlamp washer motor (apologies if I'm wrong about this). The screen wash motor is rather smaller, and not so easy to get at....best accessed from underneath. I would think that removal of the headlamp washer unit is a good idea for flushing with a hose, because it's not possible to get a decent jet via the tank filler (L-shaped).

If I learn anything useful about removing the complete tank, I'll post another time. I still have my doubts about how to re-fix the tank and tank filler through the wing without making access from inside the engine bay. If anybody has tips on this, it would be much appreciated.....and would complete this as useful strand for all.
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyG wrote:
Last summer, I carelessly let it run low (during a hot spell of Mediterranian weather, +40c) and topped up with a generous quantity of cheap washing up liquid (possibly the source of my problem)....be on your guard.

Too late for you. For others - NEVER install Washing up Liquid in anything, other than a wash bowl/sink,
microbes find the detergent a tasty meal, and will proliferate.

My car had similar problem, (from previous owners) I used a strong Oven Cleaner,
then flushed with a hosepipe for a long time - was in the summer though. And was a lot more involved than I write here.

Look up my Easy clean Windscreen washers in the memeber2member services section.

Mr D
Tricks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10    Post subject: Thanks for the information Reply with quote

I have had this issue with my 400 and went through the posts to find if it had been discussed and it had so thanks from September 2019, the future.Will
annek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, always learning!

I have honestly probably never used anything other than wu liquid  Embarassed

Will give it a bleach flush now though, and use meths too.
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

annek wrote:
Well, always learning!

Will give it a bleach flush now though, and use meths too.

Make sure to use hosepipe to thoroughly was bleach off car.

Mr D
annek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
personally I also add in a bit of Methylated spirit.  Wink

Also would make windscreen grease free and shiney! And a nip to keep the cad aht  Very Happy

Yes, will flush well, thanks.
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
personally I also add in a bit of Methylated spirit.  :wink HTH

Windscreen Wash fluids already have IsoPropyl Alcohol in them. (IPA - No association with beer. DO NOT drink IPA in W/Wash)

The IPA is the main part of  bacteriacide.

Both Methylated spirit & IPA are H2O compliant, Hydroscopic etc, as you know.
This is for other users benefit, not yours Lewis - 'cos you already know  Wink

For others - To repeat - Do Not use washing liquids in your windscreen wash bottle. Bacteria gorge/thrive on that stuff.

Mr D
annek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know I was joking right?

Sorry, should have put a disclaimer:. don't try this at home.kids  Laughing
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

annek wrote:
You do know I was joking right?

Sorry, should have put a disclaimer:. don't try this at home.kids  Laughing

What the "And a nip to keep the cad aht"     bit,  I agree with that, ask Andy and Ian (Wales 2016 meet)

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention Peak district Easter 2019!
annek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Dorset...
(Jus sayin)
annek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting a very old thread here...bear with me!

My washer jets have always been rubbish, well, pathetic, would be a more accurate description.  They eventually diminished to a powerful dribble!

However, I started to also experience other issues with indicators, horn - basically all steering stalk issues.  For anyone who's not  already nailed the issue, I needed to replace the steering clock/squib thingy.  I could not believe the change in the washer jets after.  Never seen them so strong!  I thought they were going to be another item on my never-ending Deli to do list, but now, all functioning better than ever.

Or...is it just coincidence?

As an aside, any recommendations for powerpacks that include condenser/light/usb/lighter/charger sockets?  I know @lewis recommended me one years ago, but although it did a great job, getting myself (and others) out of sticky spots at times, the condenser failed fairly quickly, and the grip clasps for the battery terminal connections got a bit brittle and broke.  I might also have bought the wrong one, that it was only suitable for up to 2.5 diesel, so if the battery was completely flat it wouldn't start it.

Many ta's for any thoughts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: