Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Coolant Expansion Tank..

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

enCrypt wrote:
Thanks Mark,

It is actually the V6 3L petrol I have so no intercooler.

I realised I'll need to take the battery out to make it easier etc, I was just worried about getting air pockets in the system and wondered was there any procedure I needed to follow when filling it back up to prevent this?

I've drained many L400s to a lower level than the expansion tank and never once had trouble bleeding the system most likely because the tank and its filler are so high up, I've never had to worry about using the heater coolant vent  Very Happy
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

enCrypt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a moderately successful morning changing over my KPH speedo to MPH my luck has run out when trying to do the coolant tank.
I thought I'd loosen the bleed screw at the top first just in case, and wondered if it had to come all the way out and while wondering out it popped and dropped down into the engine somewhere.
I have absolutely no idea where it is gone, spent ages looking for it, looked in the tray underneath, found another bolt but not that one.
I've had to stop for now.
What is the ramifications of me running the engine without that bolt in place?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the coolant getting pumped out and the engine overheating and seizing up.

Assuming you haven't moved then it must be there.

Remove the intercooler and have a good look down the side of the engine, as it may have lodged between the block and the fuel pump, or even gone onto the top of the chassis bar and slid down under the battery tray.

If you still can't find it then you should be able to find another bolt to fit in there.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
enCrypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it finally!
I almost gave up on this today, a better torch helped me to find it, it was sat on the right hand side (viewed from front) chassis rail right up against the bottom of the radiator hidden by a load of wires / hoses.
I took off the battery tray too, and one of the bolts was almost seized, really hard and slow work .
After an hour and half looking for it, I almost cried when I spotted it!

Once that little "problem" was sorted, I then had to spend around 45 mins trying to get the bigger of the two hoses off the bottom of the old tank.
The spring clip was compressing out but it would not move down the hose for love nor money.
A little bit of grease finally helped.

Then I had "fun" with the nut at the back of the tank, couldn't see a thing, didn't have an extension long enough for my ratchet, Man that was tough to get off and back on...

Finally at about 7.30 this evening I finished it and filled up the new tank.
Left the car running for a good 20 mins with the bleed pipe slightly open and waited for the bubbles in the tank to die down (there were still some little ones coming through)
Didn't seem to be any leaks anywhere and not overheating after a gentle 5 mile or so drive so I think I've got away with it!

What a day, I'm cream crackered  Laughing
mark3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

enCrypt wrote:
Ahh okay thanks Lewis, yes I think I do have that screw.
So do I loosen that off a little while I'm filling it back up and with the engine running?

To be sure the system is full.... with the engine off, the expansion tank level correct and the cap on, fill the system through the vent screw/bolt  Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

I've checked it again today and it did need filling up some more (was about half an inch below the LOW level on the tank).
No leaks from anywhere that I can see so I guess its just settled overnight.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try your heaters front and rear. If you don't get full heat, you may have an air lock in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: