4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Delica L300 JB500 or max D 48

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Newbies questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deanr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 19:12    Post subject: Delica L300 JB500 or max D 48 Reply with quote

Hi All
Total newbie! I have fallen for the Delica motorhome jb500. I gather this is based on the L300 and is 4.6 metres long. However I have also just found a Delica MAX D 48. It looks identical apart from a larger over cab  bed area. My question is am I right in saying it is identical except this?
The Delica makes so much sense as a wild camper being 4wd and compact. Iíve put my VW up for sale as Iím converted!
Thank you in advance. 👍🙏
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 19:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean, they are both based on the same chassis cab - same running gear, year for year. I dare say you may find 2wd or 4wd versions, also notice the earlier straight edged front door windows, later ones have the stepped windows.
Deanr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Many thanks. I thought they looked nearly the same. The max d has the side door further back but I do like the fact the over cab bed is larger, although it may well have a negative effect on the fuel economy.  Just pleased itís the same footprint and under 5 metres makes it much more useable as a daily driver.

Thanks again
davep10000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jb500 is 5 metres long, I have the jb470 which is 4.7 long.
I have had mine a couple of years and use it all weathers.
let me know if you have any specific questions, as they are quite different underneath from a std L300.
(eg axle over spring, steering box etc)
probably a bit different to use as a daily driver than the vw.
Dave.
Deanr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!
Did not realise  the is also a jb470 model! So its fair to assume the max d-48 is 4.8 metres long? There is one on autotrader, unlike a jb it has no rear access ladder and the roof is not all one level. I have emailed them asking for dimensions as canít find a thing online. Only a bit about jb models not max D
Thanks, hopefully suss this out soon.
My vw mk1 LT is over 5 metres long but likely  narrower. Just wish it had 4wd but a VW LT 4x4 is soooo rare plus theyíre all lhd as well as over £20k
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify things a little. It isn't actually a Delica. That name is what Mitsubishi use for the JDM 'Factory Built' passenger versions of the L300 Star Wagon.

The company that makes the JB family of motorhomes buys the bare bones chassis of the L300 Express van. Therefore you will find some differences to what is on the Delica 'Star Waggon' versions.

From what I have seen of them online, I have yet to see one in the flesh, I think that had I not first got into using a L400 I would have got one of the JB units myself.

There is a U-tube video of a JB500 here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjtOF5gT8og

On a side note I have also noticed that a 2WD Canter truck based A Class motorhome has come up for sale. It looks nice on the outside, but worringly the description says it has a two berth toilet. †Confused †I'm all for sharing, but that goes a bit too far. †Very Happy

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
davep10000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean,
If you have a look on ebay under Delica motorhome, there is a JB500 and a JB470 (Exactly same as mine).

The 470 has a smaller (lower) overcab bed, and slightly different internal layout. Me and the wife sleep very well up there, but then we are not 6' !
Dimensions of mine are L4.7m, W 1.9m, H 2.9m,  GVW 2600Kg, ULW 2250Kg.

A few points to note following my personal experience of these...

don't expect much more than 25mpg.
don't expect to cruise comfortably at much more than 60mph.
Its a bit wallowy in the bends, and in gusty winds due to the narrow track and short wheelbase.

We love ours, and even with the above are out in it all the time.
Ideally drive one first, and have a good check over of the mechanics (or get someone to).

Pound for pound, they represent great value, if you get a good one.
Mine is 20 years old, and has zero rust (but its only done about 25k miles)

Good luck, and ask lots of questions!
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Newbies questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: