Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tailgate extended opening? Can it be done cheaply?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racheld

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03    Post subject: Tailgate extended opening? Can it be done cheaply? Reply with quote

I’m 6’ tall and would prefer not to hang my head every time I go near the open tailgate. Is there a known mod to allow it to go further?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a post in the DIY section about replacing the struts for newer ones.

I got a set of the GSV10-400's, with the T11 fittings, for my Highroof Crystalite Deli, from https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts.

The price, including fittings, came in at £60.62.  :D

Note that you need to ask them to reduce the struts by 50mm, for the high roof version. The low roof version uses a different strut.

I called into SGS so they could measure up my Deli and tailgate. After the manager finished trying a couple of different ones he did the 50mm reduction. They fitted straight on, without further adjustment, and were about as high as it would go, without straining anything.

This shows the minor changes you need to make in swapping the top strut bracket over, then replacing the botton fitting:-

This shows the tailgate height I get with them. The distance from the ground to the plastic panel is 2.06 Metres (2060mm), so you shouldn't even brush your hair with those on, assuming your rear ebd suspension hasn't also sagged and needs replacement coils springs - But that's a different project. Laughing

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sat Nov 04, 2023 17:51; edited 4 times in total
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40    Post subject: Re: Tailgate extended opening? Can it be done cheaply? Reply with quote

Racheld wrote:
I’m 6’ tall and would prefer not to hang my head every time I go near the open tailgate. Is there a aknown mod to allow it goodness further?

L400 or L300? If the latter, you can swap the struts left and right and "swivel" the brackets 180 degrees, and you get a few extra inches.
I found this in a post on here (or one of the other forums) a while back and it's BRILLIANT.
(I'm 6' and now can stand up comfortably under the open tailgate without it touching my head)
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:12    Post subject: Re: Tailgate extended opening? Can it be done cheaply? Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
L400 or L300?

Well this is the L400 Tech forum.......  Rolling Eyes

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad11
Eijaz2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41    Post subject: Ordering tailgate struts questiom Reply with quote

Hi Racheld,

I am ordering a pair of struts as recommended by you.

ordered a set of the GSV10-400's, with the T11 fittings, for my Highroof Crystalite Deli,

I have asked them to reduce by 50mm,

Question do they fit straight on the bolt holes with the t11 fittings!

Any help would be appreciated.

Also I will be posting it here and have a order number if anyone else wants to do the same.
waves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these struts have decent lift strength, I've a stainless ladder mounted and when the weather gets colder they rear door just won't stay up, love it when it pretends it's gonna stay up then smacks you on the head when you go to lean in the back👷
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have a problem.

An advantage with the ladder on is the tailgate won't open as fast, requiring you to quickly lean back before getting whacked in the chin.  Very Happy

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: