4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing Chain & Tensioner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Vuleta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43    Post subject: Timing Chain & Tensioner Reply with quote

Hi Guys, this is probably best to be directed towards Mark3 but I am unable to message him directly.

I have a '94 Delica with the 4M40T engine. Have just replaced the head as it had cracked. I didn't do the timing chain or guides etc at the time as they had been done 70000km prior and appeared to be fine on the old head.

I have only done about 400km on the new head and a rattle coming from the top end has got progressively worse. I took the rocker cover off today and it seems my timing chain has badly worn, I can push the slack side all of the way across to the side and the tensioner was fully extended but still not touching the guide....

So, it looks like new chain & tensioner. I don't want to take the head off and not keen on taking the timing cover off to do the chain the "normal" way as its a bit of a pain to get it back on and sealed at the top.

I have a question about the "split" chains that seem to be in common use in the UK.  How are you joining it?  I know bicycle chains have a joiner with a "slide in" clip over the joining link but this doesn't fill me with confidence on a high speed chain. I have seen some on the internet that use "circlips" on each of the joining link pins which seems to be a better option or do you use some form of rivet setting tool on specially shaped pines on the joining clip?

These chains seem to be unavailable in New Zealand so I would have to bring one in for either Australia or the UK

Photo of my (getting expensive baby) in in my garage listing

Regards

Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split pins are fine if fitted the right way around, and sock was the man for chains and fitting.

Some info here......

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23805
mark3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The split link chains come with a split link to join them up, you use this to connect the new chain to the old one then wind it in and the old one out, when the split link comes back round you remove the old chain then connect the new to new with said link  Very Happy

Question, when you fitted the new head and re fitted the tensioner how did you seal it, gasket or silicon (instant gasket) ??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,  I'm at work and on my mobile but it looks like most, if not all of the images have gone to Photobucket heaven....

The tensioner was re-installed with a new paper gasket, part of the extensive range of gaskets, "O" rings and washers that was supplied with the head kit. The tensioner was getting oil, releasing the ratchet clip and compressing it gave a good squirt out the hole.

Just as a side issue, how many posts are required to be able to attach images, edit posts etc. I've been a member (non contributing but have learnt heaps from here) since 2012.

Cheers

Mark
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per what is says in the Faq section:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/faq.php#22

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Mark Vuleta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis, it's been some time since I read them.
Mark Vuleta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, I have decided to purchase a new kit, this one is supposed to have a high quality Japanese made chain, guides & tensioner. Can't recall the brand of my earlier one but the kit is cheaper than what I can purchase 4ft of high quality Renold Synergy chain from.

I should arrive tomorrow and I'll report back regarding chain lengths etc.

I have heard of people mentioning that the sprockets can wear down as well but I find it hard to believe, we shall see.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Vuleta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out to be a good decision to go the kit route, found that the tensioner had failed, the ratchet clip was not working and that the fixed guide (opposite the pivoting tensioner guide had broken!  

Hopefully the oil has picked up the debris, a flush and oil change tomorrow after its all back together.

The chain I removed today was about 7mm longer than the one I replaced about 70000km ago which in turn was about 4mm longer than the new one.
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work.
mark3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Vuleta wrote:
Turned out to be a good decision to go the kit route, found that the tensioner had failed, the ratchet clip was not working and that the fixed guide (opposite the pivoting tensioner guide had broken!  

Hopefully the oil has picked up the debris, a flush and oil change tomorrow after its all back together.

The chain I removed today was about 7mm longer than the one I replaced about 70000km ago which in turn was about 4mm longer than the new one.

I've changed several hundred chains and they're all usually at least 10mm longer than new chains, I've have had a few as much as 14mm longer  Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: