4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Long glow plug waiting time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janek

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 18:43    Post subject: Long glow plug waiting time Reply with quote

Hello all,

My L300 4D56 LHD from '91 has a weird problem with the pre-glow time.
It used to take about 4-5 second on a cold engine for the pre-glow to switch from red to green.

Suddenly, it takes about 30 seconds, if not more for it to finally go to green, no matter what the temperature of the engine is.
The engine starts and runs fine though. I don't wait for the light to go to green anymore either, because I understood that that could be bad for the glow plugs.
So I wait the few seconds it usually took, and the engine starts up without a problem.
I started measuring the glow plugs, and to be on the safe side, I just replaced all 4 of them with OEM plugs.

The new plugs didn't change anything. Actually after changing them I got a new additional problem. Right after the change the engine started fine(it was completely cold). But that was basically the last time it started good after the replacement of the plugs. Now every time the engine has not been running for 24 hours or so, it won't start. It tries well, so no battery problem, but it just won't swing on. I park it on a hill all the time, so I just jump start it, and it runs fine again. Even weirder, after driving it for about 5 minutes, the engines starts without any problem after that(I can leave it for an hour or so and it will start). It is the next day that we are back at the beginning, and it won't start by itself.

I will try to go back to the old glowplugs to see if this new problem is somehow related to that.

I just now took out the glow plug controller(the one that is hidden in the door pillar) and checked with a different one. Same problems occur, both the long glow time, and the not starting engine.

Now I am at a dead end and have no clue where to look further.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Also for your understanding, I live in a relatively warm climate so when I say cold, the outside temperature is between 15-20 degrees Celsius.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 18:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

How quickly does it start when you bump start it down the hill? Have you checked the bus bar connections for corrosion and tightness? Interesting that yours has a glow plug indicator light - mine doesn't. Mine will start instantly after 5 seconds of heating in a northern winter! It has the twin battery pack, which must help. When one battery was going bad, it got difficult to start, it needed 2 or 3 glow cycles before cranking to get it to start, and while it would crank for 20 seconds if you didn't give it enough pre-glow, it wouldn't turn as fast. If your battery has plenty of power, instead of leaving the pre-glow on for 30 seconds solid, give it 3 cycles of 5 seconds before cranking.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!
That's odd. But, if there's one thing I've learnt about these machines is that their glow systems are just weird, confusing and overengineered!  Laughing
My first thought is, it's weird that it's still having issues even when you say you've replaced with new OEM ones.
However, there are different OEM types, and even the same part number can lead you to the wrong plugs for the system installed.
So, which pre-glow system do you have?
Basically three options: auto-glow, super-quick glow, or self-regulating glow system. They each have a different pre-glow set up and different requirements for the plugs.
Have a look at the manual manual for further info.

I don't know very much about the auto-glow or self-regulating systems. I have the super-quick system which uses two relays and 6v (as opposed to 12v) plugs.
I recently read that if you have a light indicating glow plug activation that means you don't have the super quick system... which leaves one of the other two...
So, are you sure you have the right plugs for your system?
If so, that leaves the water temp sensor (which controls the ECU), the relay (controlling current to the plugs), and the ECU itself. You say you've tried swapping the
latter out with another - are you sure the replacement one was okay, and that it is the same ECU as you have?
If yes, only things I could think of is glow plug relay (of which you should have only one, as opposed to the dual set up in the super qucik system?) or water temp sensor.
The latter is easy to check in situ (
as I recently found out) and the former you can also easily test...
Does your relay click on/off audibly, aside from the indicator light going off? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the issue is...

As Andyman says, also definitely make sure you have a good condition battery - replacing mine recently made a big difference, but not as much as getting the right plugs in for the system...

Hope some of this ramble helps...  Smile Good luck!
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes check the temperature sensor which is in with the water temperature guage sender near the injector pump and top of the radiator.
HTH

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Janek

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers!
And to respond to some questions:

The bump start works the moment the clutch comes up completely so normal I would say.
Bus bar looks fine.

I have the auto glow system.
Yes I have one glow relay, and next to it there is the starter relay.
I took them both out and measured them(which is not much just checking for continuity)
The glow relay makes the clicking noise to enable and disable the plugs.

okay the ECU is a funny story. I took mine out, and started measuring it as how the workshop manual says.
Between one of the pins, and earth there should be 20 ohms measured. It didn't. As those things are quite expensive, I ordered a used one, but from a web shop with car parts, that is very well rated.
It showed the same thing on those two pins(so not 20 Ohm. While the other pins show what the manual says.
Now I just assumed the my electrician skills are crap, and I just didn't do it correctly. Because seriously, how big is the chance, that another ECU has the exact same problem... Rolling Eyes

I know my battery needs replacement, so  I will do that soon anyway.
But I have checked already with a good battery and none of the problems are solved with that.

I will have look in to the temp sensor though!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, based on that, sounds like you have ruled out most things other than the water temp sensor - or wiring.
I'm not sure about the diags for the ECU either, to be honest.

If it really isn't the water temp sensor either (or dodgy wiring), you could always fit a bypass switch to the relay so you can manually "pre-glow" as needed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: