Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Increasing power output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
landrangersmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:44    Post subject: Increasing power output Reply with quote

For the last few winters, I have been taking my van down to the canary islands. but because the islands are so steep especially on La Palma, I have had a lot of problems on the hills, often having to stay in first gear for long periods going up and experiencing brake fade on the way down.
Is there any way I could increase the power and stop the brake fade.

I am a mechanical Novice so any advice much appreciated

Ls   Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

There's been examples of folk swapping L400 calipers and discs into L300's, which is supposed to improve braking capacity.

See here
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20001&highlight=L300+calipers+L400

and also here
http://dinoevo.de/brake-upgrade/

I cannot speak for this mod as I have not done it, but it doesn't sound like it would be too involved. Given that it is going from single-piston to dual piston calipers, I would expect it would be better for the hilly stuff.

J
landrangersmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 17:47    Post subject: Brake fade Reply with quote

Thanks jejoenje

i will look into it,

Ls
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does your cooling system cope with those long, steep inclines, and the weight of that big body? The simplest way to get more power into the 4D56T is by increasing the turbo output and fitting an intercooler ( not easy to find the space for one), but this might require an uprated cooling system to cope with the extra heat produced, and a wider, shorter exhaust to keep exhaust heat and back pressure down. I would definitely want to upgrade the engine temperature monitoring from the oem gauge! On relatively loose surfaces, can you engage 4WD low box without transmission wind-up? - It would give you more gears to play with where the angle of incline varies, and allow 4WD gear controlled descent to save the brakes. You'd have to expect a bit of scrub on hairpin bends, but I suspect you get that anyway!
landrangersmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 16:00    Post subject: Andyman Reply with quote

Hi Andyman thank you for your suggestions , to answer your question, i carry a heck of a lot of coolant when i am down their.  Very Happy
Very Happy

Ls
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it is worth checking first if it is putting out the expected power and the turbo boost is correct.

Crawling hills in first gear doesn't sound quite right with a stock engine  - (is that auto or manual?) - I've done some monster long hills in France central massif and it's usually at 40-50mph in 3rd gear (manual) at worst

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
landrangersmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09    Post subject: pink pig Reply with quote

Thank you pink pig,  It has manual 2477 cc turbo charged  4D56 , around 80 horse power Engine.
You have made me think wether or not the turbo works correctly . i will  check this out.

Ls
grib

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try the American site there is a tutorial on how to do it http://~.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-tuning-the-4d56-for-more-power.707/unread
Try this it might help
landrangersmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 13:05    Post subject: Grib Reply with quote

Thanks grib  i will look into it.

Ls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: