Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Front brake caliper troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phluke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 20:32    Post subject: Front brake caliper troubles Reply with quote

Hi all, having driven the ambulance through the winter with no major issues now the sun's showed up again I thought I'd get to sorting some of the jobs that have become apparent.
Having changed the droplinks successfully the other day with expert advice from posts on this forum I thought I'd overhaul the front brake caliper as it has been squealing a bit and I noticed leaking fluid. Got a caliper repair kit from brakesint with shiny new pistons et al. First problem I got was that I couldn't get the top guide bolt out, it came out to where I reckoned the threads end then it just kept turning. Tried knocking it out further with a lump of wood and a persuader but didn't want to mess anything up so just swung the caliper up and carried on from there. As expected seals shot to bits, one piston leaking fluid and one completely seized. After getting them out and cleaning up I started putting the new seals back in,  found it a bit of a pig mainly because the outer seal , the one with the circlip wouldn't sit quite right in the opening, seemed slightly to big!? Anyway after a bit of roadside googling I got the circlip on, unfortunately ripped it a bit, blow. Didn't have a spare and have to work on any quiet road I can find, as no driveway for me and it's my only vehicle, so guerilla mechanicing I'm afraid. Second seal went slightly better, didn't damage it but it still sat in there a bit odd. However pistons went in okay and I put everything back together and tried to bleed the brake with one of those one man bleed kits. When I pressed the pedal I started getting fluid and bubbles through, kept pressing, then nothing came through. Looked at the tank and it'd gone below min level so I topped it up and started again, same thing happened. I tried once more but as I'd run out of fluid I stopped while it was still running through and tightened everything up. Having put it all back together I tentatively drove it and it was okay, bit spongy maybe and I'm certainly not going far till I sort the seal out. They did however still squeal a little bit but not the ear piercing way it did before and so far it doesn't look like its leaking anywhere.
Now come the questions!
I am thinking that maybe the tear in the seal is pulling air back in? I'm aware that I'll probably have to get a new seal and redo it. How much fluid should I have to bleed before I stop getting bubbles? Should I have bled all the brakes rather than just the front one? And what is going on with that guide bolt? it tightened back up okay just didn't want to come out.

Any pointers gratefully received
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 20:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

phluke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should probably add, L400, 96 reg, lwb, ambulance stickers all over it still because they're a pig to get off!
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd, probably replace the caliper from what you have said.

Have just replaced seals in my front and rear, but sounds like yours maybe too far gone, or something not right.

Unless you have clamped off the line when you removed the caliper, (which can bring other problem's with brake lines), you will have to probably bleed all 4 calipers?

There is a sequence also. I have post it here before so try a search on that 1st..

Keep safe and don't chance on brakes. I've said this before and been shouted at, but replacing calipers is sometimes the best way to go if you can't get seals in correctly.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Grouch wrote:
......Unless you have clamped off the line when you removed the caliper, (which can bring other problem's with brake lines), you will have to probably bleed all 4 calipers?

There is a sequence also. I have post it here before so try a search on that 1st..

The bleeding sequence is on this sticky post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36472

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bleed the brakes on my Deli, I have no problem/s.
I just bleed in any sequence that suits what I'm doing at that particular time.

Mr D
phluke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

New calipers-yes probably, would've liked to have solved it with new pistons and seals but maybe not this time.
The van was apparently stood unused for over a year and the pressing issues seem to be mainly on the the driver side, maybe the weather side while it was stood idle.
I suspect the other front caliper and maybe the rears need attention too.
I'll try bleeding in sequence with a proper stash of brake fluid first once I've got a replacement piston seal.
phluke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I did clamp the brake hose so thought i could get away with just bleeding the front brake, but given the unknown history of the vehicle maybe that wasn't enough?? Will be getting around to replacing all oils soon, bit that's another saga!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: