Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Completely different engine choice (or lunacy?!?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34    Post subject: Completely different engine choice (or lunacy?!?) Reply with quote

He's gone mad again! But hang on....

So the stock L300 4d56T runs about 87-92 bhp and 150ftlb/200Nm torque depending on which spec sheet you read.
While looking at daily drivers I notice these newer 3 pot turbo engines like the PSA Puretech (fitted in Peugeot/Citroen and recently Vauxhall) include a 1.2L 3 cylinder engine putting out 129 bhp and 170ftlb/230Nm torque.

So more more power and torque and half physical size and weight, so should fit under the L300 or L400 bonnet easily (with the right adapters for the gearbox etc)

While many people look at bigger V6/V8 options, how about going smaller/modern tech?
Ford ecoboost 1.0L has similar output.

Hmmmm...just need to find a rear end write off in the scrappy :-)

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jaspa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are small enough... shoe horn two in there Smile

The Eco-boost engine in the fiesta makes it a really nice drive. I'm not sure how it would respond once you've doubled/tripled the weight it's trying to move though.

I'd hate to think about the wiring side of the conversion too but throw enough time/money/experience at it and it's possible. I once stuck a 2l turbo engine out of the mk2 MR2 into a Mk1 MR2 and the wiring was the weak point for me, but saying that, this was also a well documented swap. Was a real hoot once done mind you  :D until the tin worm finished it's job  Crying or Very sad

Stuart
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audi A4 1.9TDi engine was a reliable and tough motor. My Mark 1 A4 (110bhp) was still starting first click when I scrapped it at 245,000 miles. Just all the suspension + various other bits were worn out. I had the 130 bhp Mark2 as well - a real flyer. It was an inline engine, so should adapt to the Deli's gearbox. Mechanical pump too, no problem with spares. Ecoboost have had a few self-immolation problems if driven hard! I prefer something a little lazier, especially if it has to lug 2 tons around! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 130bhp 1.9td Audi A6 a while back. Great engine. 50mpg on the motorway all day.
Clutch, dual mass and half the electrics saw that one off, engine still running well at 230k+

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 16:10    Post subject: Re: Completely different engine choice (or lunacy?!?) Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:

While looking at daily drivers I notice these newer 3 pot turbo engines like the PSA Puretech (fitted in Peugeot/Citroen and recently Vauxhall) include a 1.2L 3 cylinder engine putting out 129 bhp and 170ftlb/230Nm torque.

DO IT! If only for the forum thread of the build!  Very Happy

PinkPig wrote:

I had a 130bhp 1.9td Audi A6 a while back. Great engine. 50mpg on the motorway all day.
Clutch, dual mass and half the electrics saw that one off, engine still running well at 230k+

Interestingly, that is the engine in my daily (2002 A3), and I completely agree it is GREAT. Love that engine, and particular in a little A3 it feels like a proper boy racer when you put your foot down.
Other than a leaky radiator and the DMF slowly eating itself, its flawless. Just a shame the body looks like someone has left it in a swamp for a few years.

On another note, you could electrify it? It's been done with big old lumps of vehicles before, and conversion kits can be had for not that much money.
Plus, plenty of space for batteries!
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to have to do something like that. If this area goes LEZ then I'll be fined for pulling off the driveway!
Looks like we're going for the bonkers lime yellow citroen cactus - 100g/km emissions mean it's tax free and it's paired down like a 2CV so weighs under a tonne so the 110bhp from the 1.2L 3 pot petrol lump means it's quite nippy and economical.

Yes I know - It's a citroen - so wave and flash when you see me having yet another picnic on a hard shoulder somewhere  Wink  Laughing  Laughing

An in a couple of years it'll either be my sons leaner car (Inbetweeners anyone?) or I'l do the conversion - just drive the Delica on top of it, job done.

andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of old '80s and '90s Citroens and Peugeots (XUD diesels) was that they were incredibly reliable, including switches and ancilliaries. Apart from normal servicing, in the four years I had it, my 1.9TD Xantia needed a set of glow plugs and two suspension spheres. Absolute limo. People like knocking the French, and yes, I would avoid any Renault built between 2003 and 2012. Early Meganes and Scenics (except 2L) were very reliable.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
'90s Citroens and Peugeots (XUD diesels)

The pinnacle of their output I'd say. I love my 106 (TUD5) - it just keeps going. A great ride for such a small car too. Having said that, the wheelbase of the Saxo/106 is actually longer than that of the L300. Who'd a thunk it?
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Pug 505s and Simca based cars in the past and yes mostly be fine actually.
We did have a Volvo 440 with Renault engine. Motor was fine but the engine electrics were bonkers!

So, will see how it goes :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: