Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

New Delica Owner - couple of questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barneybubble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:12    Post subject: New Delica Owner - couple of questions! Reply with quote

Hi all, been looking for a Delica L400 for months now without success. Managed to find one last week that was near enough to me so went to take a look. All looked generally okay, although I am not knowledgeable enough to really say that for sure! But the price was very keen so took the plunge as it seemed worth the risk.

She is a.....

96 L400 Super Exceed
2.8d
90,000 on the clock
MOT until July

So now for a couple of questions I hope you guys can answer for me. Firstly, the front brakes are binding. It drives okay but you can feel it struggling against them, drove it for 10 minutes and when we stopped you could smell the brakes and they were very hot.

I need to move it another 30 minutes drive to another location, do you think it is safe to do without making the situation worse or should I look at trying to fix / improve the issue first?

Secondly, the intercooler makes a super loud wooshing noise in the cab when you go up even a minor slope. I am assuming this is a split in the house somewhere but anything else I should be checking?

Hopefully you guys can help with these newbie questions!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving a vehicle with a binding brake can result in you burning out the caliper and damaging the brake disc, both of which may need replacing. £££££   Crying or Very sad

The whooshing noise may just be down to the Turbo overpressure valve opening up. If your having to increase throttle speed to overcome the drag from the binding brake that will result in increased engine revs and thus turbo pressure.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
barneybubble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, will attempt to repair in situ.

I haven't even had chance to investigate anything yet so will head up to it's current location soon and get the wheel off. I know anything is a possibility, but knowing Delicas, am I likely to find a seized brake caliper?

If so then for the low price that new calipers are, do you think its is easier to just replace the whole thing?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a G clamp, socket set, levers/strong flat screwdrivers and spray lubricant, flask of tea/coffee. Once you have used these to get the calipers off, spray liberally around the pistons,and use the G clamp and suitably sized socket to force the pistons back into the calipers. Start the engine, and press carefully on the brake pedal, checking how far out the pistons have come (you don't want them out completely at this stage). Spray around the pistons some more, and force them back in as before. Repeat a few times until the pistons are moving more easily, then clean up, reassemble and drive home. Drive home and have a fresh cuppa to celebrate. Stuck pistons are not unusual on these, perhaps because they spend longish periods stationary, waiting for their owners to save up for a tank of fuel! But usually worth the wait. You may find you need to do a more thorough disassembly and clean of the calipers, you may even decide to simply replace them. Oh, welcome to Deli-world, BTW!
barneybubble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, hopefully I can get them unstuck and motoring again!

Looking forward to many adventures ahead Smile
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo Andyman on most of that as just done my rear right Caliper.
I did his above to get me through till I ordered a seal Kit.

My piston was really stuck in but after removing it and cleaning with scotch bright and brake fluid,  it now slides in and out like a precision instrument. (also lubricated with brake fluid).  

I nearly bought a new Caliper as I felt lazy but a £20 frentech seal  overhaul kit sorted it cheap, and under an hours labour.  

On the front,  you will find it easier to use a peice of 6mm flat steel or angle to put across both pistons and wind them in together.  

When pumping them back out, you may notice one sticking.  

I love delicas and have never left mine standing long, but they do seem to suffer from sticking calipers?

I once had one of my front discs glowing red hot on first Deli. Not good.  Sad
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this post by Lewis to be most helpful when stripping my callipers down.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36472
barneybubble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

So first attempt today didn't go too well Smile Couldn't get the wheel nuts off so finally gave up with the brace I was using and purchased an extendable one.

Now the 21mm socket won't go far enough onto the bolt to grip! So I am now trying to find an extra narrow 21mm socket that will fit onto my extendable wheel brace
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barney.

Whereabouts in Gloucester are you, I have an engineer friend in Gloucs, who may be able to help.

I called him, but he's a bit busy at the mo.

He can usually sort these problems - - -
But he does need a bit persuading. i.e. steel stock, round and flat is a good persuader. Sometimes a few ££s

When he calls back, I'll see what he sez. Stay on here till I get back to you.

Mr D
barneybubble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the offer of a connection! In this instance though I think I have managed to find the socket I need... part number 364505 as I am unable to post URLs yet Smile

Looks deep enough to get in so hopefully should be good, plus I am going to need one for future work so well worth grabbing I think.

My next task after this is going to be looking at rust, does your engineer friend weld by any chance?
barneybubble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part number was from Halfords btw
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding = NO

Mr D
barneybubble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big fat NO then Smile

I am heading to Halfords first thing tomorrow, I will report back with a successful outcome tomorrow
barneybubble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get the nuts on both front wheels undone finally after purchasing the narrow socket from Halfords. So at least that is one job finally successfully completed Smile

Got myself a 2 tonne trolley jack and lifted the front end up from the front crossmember. Only lifted enough to get the tyre just off the ground as I have no axle stands currently so taking it cautiously.

Took the wheel off and confirmed that the caliper has seized, can't get it to budge at all. So next task was to take off the caliper itself, that is where I am now stuck! The bolts will not budge with my current set of tools.

My plan is to take up my impact driver and try and loosen them with that.

I think at this point I am best off getting some axle stands as I don't want to shake the Deli much with just the jack underneath. What weight rating should I look for?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with that jack, as it is too light for lifting both wheels off the ground together. You really need a 3 ton one.  I also have a 2Ton one, but just for carrying in the van, for breakdowns, to lift one wheel off to replace it.

RE Caliper: I assume you man you can't get the caliper slider lock bolt out. What you can do instead is undo the two calipercarrier bolts at the back and lift the whole lot off together, to do it on a bench.  First though you will need to clamp off the brake hose then disconnect it. That itself will help take the hydraulic pressure off the pistons.

If you don't have any brake hose clamps you can make do with a couple of flat metal plates held in place with a clamp.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
barneybubble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken with jack, will invest in a 3 ton one tomorrow. In terms of axle stands, what weight rating should these be?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have a pair of Clarke 6 Tonne stands, then I can have both front wheels up off the ground to safely work under it. The safe working load of them is 3 Tonne, likewise the safe working load of a pair of 3 Tonne stands is 1.5 Tonne, which is less than either axle weight.

A 3decent pair will cost around £40.

HTH

ルイス
barneybubble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted these SliverLine ones at Argos for £20 - Product number is 2559418

They are listed as 3 tonne per stand which should be enough?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy them Checkout the max height they will lift to. Then checkout the height your axle is off the floor before you start lifting. Compared to the 6 Tonne ones.  Wink

ルイス
barneybubble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep trying to save a few pounds Smile

Thanks for pointing that out otherwise I would have been wasting a few pounds!  Will grab the Clarke ones tomorrow, 24" lift seems much more appropriate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: