4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

The rot had set in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOZA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:48    Post subject: The rot had set in. Reply with quote

I've recently been battling to fit a set of wheel arches that may have been originally made to fit a Hillman Imp, so upon taking off my old fender flares I was distressed to see this. Shocked

The two rear arches had been well eaten, yet the fronts were fine.

After much swearing, stamping of feet and a few tears, I thought I would have a go at fixing it, yet i can't weld and i have no equipment to weld. Then i thought of how cars were assembled in the body section of the Jaguar-landrover plant were I worked attended for 11 years - the panels were often bonded together, especially where the panel was not a structural assembley, so I began to chop out all the rot with a wizzer, lots of it.

When I was down to fresh steel I began to cut plates out of a sheet of 1.0mm zintec, using two types of shears, one for straight and one for curves, I used small feather cuts so I could form the plates to the correct contour. When i was happy with the fit i drilled them and painted them with red oxide then put them to one side.

The above pieces are just for one rear arch. the holes are for the rivet fixings. Rolling Eyes

I then focused on the truck arches, there is an inner arch used like a mud guard, and an outer bit which is infact the bodyside, i treated the area with red oxide then injected underbody sealer in all the places I could see, I left it overnight then injected all the voids with expanding foam ( I KNOW THIS IS NOT EVERYONES CUP OF TEA - BUT ITS MY BALL ) which filled every nook and cranny and more, once hardened it can be cut and trimmed with a hacksaw blade.

Next i coated the plates with TigerBond and rivited them to the arch, the TigerBond is similar to what is used in the factory and once it has set it stays - the only way to get it off is to cut it off, also wear gloves because if you get it on your fingers it won't come off, I've tried petrol, turps, meths.....the only way is sandpaper your skin. Shocked

Once the infill panels were in place I tried to tidy up the sealer that had been squeezed out of the panels, but then decided to leave it as the new arches would cover what looked like a messy job.

I also thought at that time that I had "OVERKILLED" the job, too many pop rivets (X40 for one arch) too many plates and too much sealer, but it was a sturdy job, infact I would be happy to jack the truck up from this arch.  Shocked

But I learned to half everything for the other side. Idea

Insert rivet/cut out/plating pics (PHOTOBUCKET DOWN

Seal and extension strip.

Next I took my prepared modified fiberglass arch and fitted it to the truck using self drilling, self tapping bolts, I used small extention brackets to get the arches in the right place and all the bracket/panel work was covered.

To see what I had to do with the arches to make them fit read this post.... http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49900 ... it will show you the mods I had to carry out on the arches also the paint, edge sealer and rubber extension.

I'm happy with the job even though it took ages and its not the ideal way to go about it, but I chopped out the rot, and replaced with new steel and the battle scars were all covered by the new pretty colour coded fiberglass arches, they look cool and do the job they were designed for, so win, win. Laughing

Last edited by YOZA on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:55; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Pierre
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

A novel way of repair - I like it.

I'm about to start sorting out the back end of my LWB and I just know rust is going to be a major issue.

Still, if you like the motors, you have to put up with age related problems, just like the missus has to put up with me.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Delica Super Exceed LWB PF8W
Suzuki Grand Vitara V6
Sunbeam Tiger 289
Benelli 750 SEI
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

125 views and one reply - wow.

PS In the first photo the image looks a lot like a shark attack, a great white with dental hygene issues. Shocked
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of hard work, but nice, now you've fitted the extensions. This is an area that needs to be well sealed. I have had to apply sealant to the wheel-arches where they meet the outer wing, as rust perforation caused damp rear carpet. Yoza, have you fitted spacers to your wheels?
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOZA wrote:
125 views and one reply - wow.

PS In the first photo the image looks a lot like a shark attack, a great white with dental hygene issues. Shocked

No reply doesn't mean we weren't thinking job well done.
Bazza :D

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Yoza, have you fitted spacers to your wheels?

Yes 30mm - if you look a one of the pictures you can see were the disc ends and the spacer begins.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought good job well.

I also thought I'm glad I don't have any stuff stuck on like arches or side trim!

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too sure what to say at first, but looking again, you have sorted what could have been a really expensive repair job, and also looks strong, which no one will ever see anyway.

I will remember that one in a few years if ever I remove my arches and find the same.

Great Work  8-)
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Grouch wrote:
looks strong, which no one will ever see anyway.

Great Work  8-)

I think when my Delica is ready to go to Delicaheaven all that will be left standing is two rear wheel arches and an engine block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: