4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Soft close mechanism jamming on sliding door

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laurenceo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 23:36    Post subject: Soft close mechanism jamming on sliding door Reply with quote

I closed my sliding door one day and came back 20 mins later to find it wouldn’t open.

Today I took off the door card and removed the screws securing the soft close motor and that allowed me to open the door but then I couldn’t close it. Deker popped over and we took the whole latch assembly off to try and figure out what’s going on.

https://ibb.co/7jzgmX3

In the photo you can see the motor/servo in its natural position. When the door is closed the motor rotates 180 degrees clockwise pulling a mechanism that tightens the latch giving soft close. It (is supposed to) immediately rotate back to its original position. In its original position the servo is acting like a cam to push a switch, I haven’t yet figured outgrow this switch plays it’s part.

When we pulled it out the motor was stuck at the 180 degree position. The latch wouldn’t close. We used my dc power supply and the motor returned to its natural position, we switch the black and the red and it went back. So we returned it back to natural position. The latch was now closing but totally caked in filthy grease so we cleaned  it out and fitted the unit back on the door.. Voila! It worked!!! 3 times and then it stuck at 180 degrees again Rolling Eyes

I can’t find anything to do with the soft close mechanism on the wiring diagram manual and can’t figure out how the feed to the motor is reversed to return it to its natural position. So if anyone has any light to shed on it I would be super grateful.

TIA

(Broken ibb link corrected, as a url. Admin)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 23:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Laurenceo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for anyone searching and suffering the same issue.

I unclipped the rod from the soft close motor. Opened the door and closed it and the servo/cam went back to its natural position (with no soft close because the rod is disconnected). I opened and closed the door probably ten times and observed the function of the motor working correctly. Reconnected the rod and it hasn’t jammed since. I’ve opened and closed it probably 20 times since.

I don’t know if I’ve been closing it too hard or something is slightly out of line but after having Deker clean the rollers and we both cleaned up the latch, I’m able to close it gently and it works perfectly. I don’t know if I’ve ‘fixed’ anything, I feel it could jam again but it’s working for now.
annek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

:? That's been my experience with doorz n Deker!

Mine completely jammed at dekerz. No way of knowing why or how to fix it.

It has happened drastically on several occasions, but once i suppose legitimately, when something got caught in the door but now works completely fine!!  Was all set to take it all apart like yourself

Hope it keeps going fine!
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't open that (image?) link, but I am assuming that the servo motor has some kind of reduction gearing, possibly a worm drive (spiral gear on helical cut gear cog). This type of drive notoriously wears one edge (or centre) of the cog teeth, which can make the gears jam at the point where there is most strain in the system. This strain is possibly at a certain angle or tension/pressure on the rod/linkage which you detached, thereby removing that pressure. Perhaps your working of the cam backwards and forwards has helped free or lubricate something, enough to allow the re-connected rod to move correctly. Only postulating, as Deker says, I don't actually know anything about L400s, but lots of general experience of cars. I have extended the working life of window mechanisms and wiper drives before now, by adjusting the position of the worm relative to the cog (or vice-versa) so that relatively un-worn teeth mesh together.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link works now.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Mokle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is related, but I discovered the contacts at the handle side of the door were not contacting properly.
Cleaned and greased the spring action and now my soft close works as it should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: