Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Rear Diff Rusting Thru'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDog
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48    Post subject: Rear Diff Rusting Thru' Reply with quote

Help please. My mechanic who carries out my MoT's has warned me that the rear diff casing appears so thin because its rusting out. He says the odour of gear oil is quite strong! Is this a common prob? My Deli is an N reg V6 and almost on 200k miles. Passed the MoT again today but I fear it will be her last. Poor old gal....I've owned her since 2009.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

kit352

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fairly easy to find a replacement rear end to swap out for a total fix.  You could also try draining and cleaning the old one and either patch welding it where its leaking or using something like jb weld to skim the area.
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gdog.

WARNING = If you try the welding route, DO NOT use MIG.
Brazing would be better.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the metal has turned porous, jue to ingress of water then replacement is the best option.

I seem to recall that MitzyBitz recently advertised one, for a couple of hundred, inc delivery.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds familiar...  Sad
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48210&highlight=

Obviously this is an L300, not an L400 like yours, but sounds like the same issue.
My bodge, lots of rapid degreasing, and a combination of PU sealant and JB weld seems to have been okay, much to my surprise!.
Bodge or not, the posts above were just over 2 years ago, and I've not spotted any leaks as such, although I suspect there's a
slow weep.
Given the extremely limited availability of LSD axles for L300's, I'm kind of okay with the bodge, until I find a replacement...
Agreed that obvs if you can find a sound replacement, that would be by far the best long-term solution!

Good luck!
GDog
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks mosst appreciated.

I'm goin to try the clean up, sand back to metal, JB Weld fix once the weather gets a bit warmer. If I can get another year or so out the old girl then I'll be happy. Perhaps a truck load of JB Weld may be required to reinforce a large enough area but I'm willing to give it a go.  

Yeah I saw the rear axle/diff on eBay Lewis...it's still there I believe but how long before that one pits out and seeps? I know that's the best option but I'll try the bodge first. Thanks mate - hope you're keeping well.

GDog
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a plug, and I am in no way associated with the man (although his channel is awesome!), but if you like decent car-restoration Youtube channels, SOUP Classic Motoring is worth watching.

I only mention this because it features a really interesting episode on the rehabilitation of a very leaky diff - pinholes and all - in this pair of episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-FH9SRy2DE&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE77VxSVDlU&t=1154s
GDog
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just crawled under there and I'm buggered if I can see signs of a leaky diff?! Ten years ago when I first bought her I brush undersealed the underside, a kind of stab the brush stipple effect. A lot of it has flaked off now and the same for the diff. I took a stiff brush to the diff then some Autoglym Engine & Machine cleaner, dried it off and can't detect diff oil run traces. What the heck is my MoT man going on about? He also waxed lyrical about the leaking steering rack....not from the boots but where the steering column meets the rack...what you can see when you lay underneath and it's above you. can't be that bad coz the steering fluid is topped up fine! Surely a bit of stop leak will sort that?

MoT guys eh!
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a drive - warm oil finds its way through small holes easier when hot.

If there is no oil present paint it then plaster it with waxoil and forget about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: